Wildlife Walks in ED

Hi all,

Recently moved to ED and fancied some nice rambling among the birds and trees. I'm based near Lordship Lane and London Wildlife Trust suggests my nearest place is the Bellenden Road Nature Garden. Going to check it out at some point but is there anything a little more woodlandy about? Where are your favourite ambling routes?

Thanks!

Do you mean the Maxted Road Wildlife Garden??? Its lovely,and well worth a visit but as you say not a wood! Head to Sydenham Hill Woods - start at Cox's Walk and walk up to it if you're already near Lordship Lane...

Also many of the parks/wildlife areas around here do things like 'Dawn Chorus' bird walks a bit later in the Spring - you'd be amazed at the variety of birds etc. in Peckham Rye Park for example. Katzenbaer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all,

>

> Recently moved to ED and fancied some nice

> rambling among the birds and trees. I'm based near

> Lordship Lane and London Wildlife Trust suggests

> my nearest place is the Bellenden Road Nature

> Garden. Going to check it out at some point but is

> there anything a little more woodlandy about?

> Where are your favourite ambling routes?

>

> Thanks!

I was in Nunhead cemetery this afternoon, saw, at almost the apex of a tree, a parrot or macaw like bird - body and head much the same colour as our parakeets, but appeared about 1/5-2 times the size, with a very distinct red beak and a tail with blue feathers almost as long as the body. I am (very) used to the parakeet mobs which we see regularly, this had a different call, was I think significantly larger, was on its own - is there any news of an escaped parrot? - Clearly it had got to the top of the tree, but didn't look too keen on flying. There were carrion crows about, but they weren't mobbing it. I did try to photograph it - but frankly my phone camera wasn't up to the job re detail at that distance. I see the parakeets in Camberwell old cemetery - they tend to go about in bunches and often perch on the main trunks of trees - this bird was clearly a branch percher. I had two witnesses with me and had not had a liquid lunch!

Dear Katzenbaer,

you are well situated for walks in almost every direction. Apart from Sydenham Woods,

there is wild woodland in Camberwell Old Cemetery, then you can cross Forest Hill Road, & beyond Brenchley Gardens cross R to find historic woodlands on One Tree Hill.

Parallel to the Horniman Gardens, between the footpath and Wood Vale, is a strip of disused railway line, now designated nature reserve and 'wild woodland walk', pond and wildflower meadow at the far end. (No dogs. Locked outside office hours.)

Dawson's Hill is another area of trees and shrubs and grassland, superb views specially for sunsets.

Dulwich Park has gorgeous mature trees and flowering plants - more horticulture than wild but still a welcome 'green lung'.

Peckham Park has an enclosed wildlife garden with beehives and a shelter + bench to eat a picnic. The rest of the park has big trees, ponds and wild woodland walkways. One section is kept dog-free, essentially as a facility for families with little children.

Marsden Road has a wildflower garden, a lovely sanctuary which holds various teaching events through the year.

These green spaces are all in need of the public's vigilance. To love them is to see how delicately they are poised between true wildness and urban vandalism!

Some of them are being looked after well, others have endured fly tipping and over-zealous Council lopping & mowing etc.

Slightly different, but there are also a few community gardens around which are open to the public, eg the Physic Garden at the front of Dulwich Hospital, which has a selection of herbs and other medicinal plants, with information about them. Good for bees, I imagine.