Customer services at Grace and Favour

I have removed this post as there is legal implication which is unfairly aimed at Grace and Favour. They have written us a nice email and and I have decided that this issue is best sorted out elsewhere rather than on the forum.

Apologies to those who have posted on here with useful information but I hope you understand.

The Administrator

Carmel

You should take this up with the Trading Standards Office at LB Southwark. Grace & Favour cannot refuse any liability, and this is made clear in both the Sale of Goods Act and the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act.

Thanks Amelie. I'll do that. As I say, I was surprised that G & F didn't feel they had any liability.

Sean/ PGC- thanks also. Like you I thought that if something isn't fit for purpose it should be replaced or refunded.

As for your query, Sean, I don't do much 'gift' shopping, but find the people in Dr Boo to be really friendly. I also rate William Rose and Green & Blue for great service and quality.

Just to add a bit of balance to what has been said above, goods you buy should always be in a satisfactory condition, defect free and fit for the purpose they were intended when you receive them. If you purchased the goods in person at the shop, you are entitled to seek a full refund if any of the above conditions were not met.

You may not be entitled to a full refund if you have used the item. As this is the first time you've used it - I would say to still ask for a full refund, but only if you have informed the shop promptly of the fault - when did you actually buy it? Even if you are not entitled to a full refund, you can still get compensation or a repair or replacement.

However, the shop are not required to give you a full refund if you have misused the bag for something which wasn't intended or ripped it on something which a bag of this type would not have been expected to handle. An example would be if you had scissors in it or something. Did the shop give any kind of explanation at all as to why they were refusing your refund? If not, I would defintely go back in and ask them for a proper explanation to be given to you in writing. Although trading standards can investigate and prosecute the shop, they can't force the shop to give you a refund - you would need to take action yourself in the Small Claims Court. May depend on how much the bag was as to whether it is worth it or not?

Doesn't it depend on what you used it for? If it was stuffed full of books or similar heavy objects it might reasonably be expected to tear. What did you use it for and did G & F only say that they weren't liable or did they qualify it in some way?

Edited - Obviously Siduhe's and my posts overlapped somewhat.