Flooding Bellenden Road

Mitelf

It's businesses with cellars/basements that are worst affected, esp those that contain food/drink etc.

In addition to those listed here, Brick Brewery is also closed for the time being and the Gowlett is in a bad way too.

When they reopen help them get back on their feet and spend a few extra quid there.

Because we tend not to have this type of storm very often we do not have storm drains, but rely on the normal rainwater drainage system - this can become completely overwhelmed when you have local storms of the nature we had yesterday. It is a volume/ time issue. Around Bellenden I don't think there are enough front-gardens with parking potential for impermeable coverings to aid parking to have been real issue - but elsewhere the removal of open ground to offer soak-away can be a contributory factor. But so much water fell in such a short time that however permeable the ground there would have been flooding. Locally to me Southwark (or Thames Water) had people out only a couple of days ago sweeping gutters and clearing drains, so I don't think the problems will be necessarily a consequence of bad maintenance policies. Cities will always have problems when you get so much water falling in such a short time.

Juat walking around today I've noticed a fair few grids full of leaves, twigs and general rubbish (thanks, litter bugs for the latter). It's all been pushed down the gutters towards the grids by the heavy rain but it's now just sitting there, ready to cause problems when even normal amounts of water fall. If you're reading this, James Barber, please can you get involved?