Lady In East Dulwich Sleeping Rough

Zak

I saw a post about this earlier today ( Lady With But No Van)and then it vanished - I now realise that it's been relegated to the Lounge: "The Place To Relax & Chat About Anything !

This was serious post, asking people to help in getting assistance to someone who is clearly homeless and I guess pretty distressed - on the pavement and surrounded by her possessions. Last spotted around Grove Vale/Oglander Road. Surely, this is an appropriate post, for this most visited page.

Anyway, we're told by Hare, who made the initial post, that "she is not sleeping in the same spot tonight, so the Street Link Outreach Team won't be able to locate her very easily .....keep your eyes out and let them know on 0300 5000914.quoting reference number WD209116, by which they can identify her as someone who has already been reported to them.

A bit of local intelligence could play an important part in helping some one make contact and getting a roof over her head.

If you see her tonight or tomorrow, them ring the outreach team

Thanks

Zak

Just seen this post. I think I saw her yesterday. There was a lady with what I'm pretty sure is a Dutch accent near Dog Kennel Hill Sainsburys at around 5 p.m. She very nicely asked me if I could spare any money for some food when I was at the cashpoint. I was a bit distracted worrying about my finances at the time and had given all my spare change to someone the day before so had to say I hadn't got anything. I felt bad immediately afterwards and wished I'd spoken to her more at least. She had a rucksack on so no evidence she was planning on staying there particularly, but perhaps worth people keeping an eye out there too? I've taken note of the reference number just in case I see her again.

I hope she's OK.

HP

Southwark council has a rough sleeper coordinator. I will bring this up with him later today and he can send outreach out.

Big problem is that following government cuts, there are few resettlement pathways for Rough sleepers with lower support needs. It may also be that if this lady has not exercised her treaty rights then she my not be eligible for assistance.

Thanks for the replies - the original post said she was thought to be Dutch so it's probably the same lady, HPsaucey.

The reference number had a digit missing, by the way - I copied it from the lounged thread where it appeared the second time and that has been edited, so I've edited mine now. It's 209116.

Ratty, I left a message with the Southwark co-ordinator for the Outreach team who is based at Tooley Street so that may be the same person. It would be good to get back to him with some more information.

While I applaud everyone's wish to be helpful, am I alone in finding it a bit uncomfortable that people are posting details about this woman on a public forum when no one seems to have actually spoken to her properly to find out what her story is? How do we know whether she even wishes to have a case opened on her with the authorities? And if I were a single woman sleeping rough, I'm not sure I'd want the whole of East Dulwich to know my whereabouts.

Completely agree that it's lovely that so many people care. It would be even nicer if someone had actually spoken to her and found out her situation before posting about her. For all we know she's trying to get away from someone and wouldn't appreciate having her description and last known whereabouts publicised. Or maybe not. The point is, we don't know.

If you do see someone homeless, it is ok to ask if they want to talk, but people are all different and may not to talk about their circumstances (would you?).

If anyone does see her, why not let her know that St Mungos are there for her. They provide all sorts of support.

Likewise anyone else you see. It is very cold and for someone to be outside and have nowhere to go just isn't right.

Thanks for posting the St Mungo's number. Elsewhere in Southwark I'm trying to help a 21yo rough sleeper with mental health issues (he's not considered to be vulnerable enough though) and I've been getting nowhere. Street Link were absolutely useless.

I hope this woman gets help if she needs and wants it.

Grok Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, very commendable but why isn't this help

> offererd to all homeless that pass through ED?

> Maybe because this person looks like you rather

> than not?

Wow - troll or jumping to your own conclusions about people's motives??

HP

I would have thought pm's would come in handy

With this sort of thread, once people have identified they may be able to help. I agree Redjam, anyone can be reading this and although

the exact location was not given, its highlighting

her being on her own.

redjam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> While I applaud everyone's wish to be helpful, am

> I alone in finding it a bit uncomfortable that

> people are posting details about this woman on a

> public forum when no one seems to have actually

> spoken to her properly to find out what her story

> is? How do we know whether she even wishes to have

> a case opened on her with the authorities? And if

> I were a single woman sleeping rough, I'm not sure

> I'd want the whole of East Dulwich to know my

> whereabouts.

Whilst I think only good intentions have been at play, I also felt a bit concerned about this.

Just to be clear (and to repeat myself): I completely agree it's really lovely that people care and want to help, and I applaud the efforts to publicise the various channels of assistance available. I just feel uncomfortable about this particular lady's details being posted on here (last known whereabouts, description). I suppose I'm just putting myself in her shoes: would I want my situation discussed so publicly?

But I am only adding to the problem so I'll bow out!

ETA: crossposted with Otta - I was replying to Binkylilyput.

I remember a couple of years ago, I was going to Morrison in Peckham when a homeless guy was asking for change and as I was passing a man was asking him if he was from Eastern European. The homeless guy replied no he was from Lewisham but has hit hard times so the man gave him ?10.00 and walked on.

I spoke to this lady last Wednesday, when she was at outside the library, Grove Vale. She is indeed Dutch. We chatted for a long about the Dutch embassy and other options she has. I hadn't seen this thread before so was unaware of all the efforts to locate her. She had previously stayed at the hostel at Barry road the night before. She just wants to go home and apart for matching her to the embassy again there was nothing I could do, having to two children in tow. So I gave her some money and pointed her to the coplestone church who I know have helped out homeless people before.