Dog Attack PRP Tonight 8pm

SueJ

Hubby would like me to report this on the EDF to be sure that others are aware......

I was walking my dog (on the lead) near the East Dulwich Road end of Peckham Rye in PRP when our dog was attacked by a pit bull that was not on the lead.

I guess we came off not so bad by many comparisons that I have read about but it was quite a frightening experience.

In fairness the owner did act quickly and wrestle his dog to the ground and although my dog has got a few cut and actually quite deep bites in his ear and neck, he is ok.

I really don't want to traumatise anyone and was fortunate to have a friend with me who picked my dog up as he was quite shaken (i'm sure my poor dog must have been thinking WTF just happened) so please just be extra vigilent if walking your pet in that area.

Thank you kford. Interesting reading. I will be honest though and say, Im just glad to have gotten away so lightly. I am doubtful that I would recognise the person or the dog - unless it was running at speed towards me again.

The noise was just so horrendous though.

I saw the dog at a distance and pulled mine (a staffie / lab cross we think) on a much shorter lead as he is a London house dog and is very much a people dog. He is alright with other dogs but I would not take a chance off the lead.

Before I could even assess the situation it had all started and as soon as it was over - which seemed like forever but in truth may only have been a couple of minutes, I was glad to be out of the way, calling for hubby to collect me and checked my dog over.

So sorry this happened to your dog, wishing him a speedy recovery.

Do you have a description of the dog or owner please so that others know who to look out for? Did the owner of the dog tell you it was a Pit Bull, just that there is no such breed, Pit Bull is a term used to describe several breeds of dogs that all have similar characteristics. So in the UK they get this type of dog by crossing a Bull breed and large breed such as Mastiff.

Ahhhh, gosh, I don't want to be scaremongering. It's also dreadful when a breed of dog is associated with fighting or being vicious. The owner acted really quickly and wrestled the dog to floor and to his credit, he could have come out worse than my dog!

Dog was sandy brown in colour and fast! Ran as us With such speed! Stocky and larger staffie type head. Friend I was with said it was a pit bull and I looked the name up online and, with the speed at which everything happened I would say it was one of these within the category. It was muscly and had an incredibly loud growl!

I am such a huge dog lover and believe there must be good in all breeds - hopefully?

SueJ,

Thanks for reporting this.

If you have not already please get your dog checked at vet. Puncture bites to neck can be more serious than they seem.

Please also report to police. A smaller dog might be killed, a person or child could get in the way and be injured.

I hope you and your dog are okay.

Hope your dog makes a smooth recovery. He should see a vet ASAP. There is a 24hr vet in streatham.

This should also be reported to the police. The dog owner might have done his best under the circumstances but he's not in control of his dog, who should have been on a lead.

Good luck.

Hi Sue, I didn't see the post above mine till now. How horrific! It's such a stressful experience for dog and the owner, best to get your dog checked over at the vets.

You can report to the local dog warden which would be Southwark council I believe.

Hi All

I / We are overwhelmed by your kindness and support. I was not going to post as I felt awkward and as I am a life long dog lover and honestly can't abide bad press about dogs - especially about the breeds that do get the bad press!

Brucie is ok. He was a bit shaken last night and slept on the bottom of my bed. He also did not want to go out for his morning walk. I didn't realise how this could and has affected him. I think Brucie must be a bit achey as he is not as bubbly as he usually is but he has milked the attention and is loving it!

I have called the police and reported the incident and will forward the crime number to the Warden who has also been in touch for details.

We rang the vet and as he is drinking ok, eating ok and tail still wagging (!) we should just look out for signs of scratching his ear (which I bathed when we got home) then all should be ok. Receptionist advised that if at any time we were concerned then we could take him in for a check up but his tail is wagging and he has had plenty of attention and cuddles today so should all be good.

Once again, thank you to everyone that posted openly and privately. The EDF really is the most incredible source of information, notice board and support group.

With very best wishes

Sue, Family and of course Brucie xx