New outdoor gym at Peckham Rye Park

I only realised they had finished it when I went for an early morning stroll today. I have to say it is very impressive and I used all of the equiptment too. It maybe isnt quite as controlled as a 'proper' gym, but everything looks great and works fantastically well and best of all its all FREE!! I recommend it for anyone on a credit crunch busting diet.

Louisa.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Kids under 12 aren't supposed to go on it. I saw

> loads of 3/4 year olds the other climbing and

> using stuff without any supervision.

Next thing some child will get hurt and it will be closed down.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Kids under 12 aren't supposed to go on it. I

> saw

> > loads of 3/4 year olds the other climbing and

> > using stuff without any supervision.

>

> Next thing some child will get hurt and it will be

> closed down.

Really annoys me, as you hear the mummies say to their toddlers 'darling this isn't meant for you, it's for the grown ups,' yet they happily let the kiddies crawl all over the equipment. i think that there was a similar thread earlier where one poster even complained that the moveable parts of the equipment were not safe for kids(6)

I'm a mum and for the record I wouldn't let my kid use it - someone should enforce that - we would be very cross if adults where using the kids equipment - although a few might get stuck!

• 1 year later...

I toatally agree with you,

I have seen first hand what everyone is talking about.

The parents should be more strict, after all they would soon complain if the adults took over the childrens playground etc

Cynerix

I've been past the place four hundred times and have never seen any more than two people using 'the equipment' at once - for any serious purpose other than 'as a laugh to kill two minutes'.

If you put a load of shiny metal moving parts within ten paces from a skateboard park and toddler's playground, you're kind-of asking for it.

There are also several busy roads and a pond for drowning in which parents must negotiate on their way to and from the park. I guess they feel they can make their own decisions as to whether lifting their children briefly onto a tractionless treadmill constitutes any sort of meaningful risk, in the grand scheme of life. There are logs in Peckham Rye which are more dangerous, if used unsupervised.

I expect if there was a queue of tracksuited keep-fit enthusiasts doing star-jumps and jogging up and down on the spot to keep warm, patiently waiting for a machine to become free, there wouldn't be any parents and children using them as a momentary distraction en route to the ice cream shop. Only there aren't.