Laser eye surgery

smith 41

Hiya, yes, I had it done about 6 years ago and had fantastic results. Wish I'd done it years ago. The change for me was amazing, the op very quick and I had no problems with infections or anthing. I took very good care of my eyes afterwards, time off work for two days to avoid straining my eye using a pc, wearing sunglasses in Feb, but it was worth it. I went with one of the big national chains (can remember which one, tbh) as I thought I wanted someone who does a LOT of these ops all the time.

Best of luck!

DO IT! I had the surgery with Optical express 3 years ago and its incredible.

A few tips

Optical express give away a free surgery every month - all you need to do to be entered is go along and have a free consultation.

Wait it out - I waited around 6 months between consultation and surgery and every few weeks they would send an offer, ?100 off, ?500 off.. then it happened - 'you can have the whole surgery for ?1500 if you have it done by the end of November' . Since I was quoted ?3300 originally this was an opportunity not to be missed.

The surgery itself was the scariest 10 minutes of my life - but that's all it was. 10 minutes and almost immediately I could see better than I had done since I was 7.

I had it done when I was 29. they do need your prescription to be the same for the previous 2/3 years and they do say that your eyesight will deteriorate naturally as you get older.

Good luck

I had mine done at Advanced Vision Care on Harley St. It was expensive, but I figure your eye sight is something where you don't want to go for the budget option - after all, I could see with contacts / glasses and I really didn't want to end up with permanent dry eyes or halo-ing

It was all very quick and painless (though I could smell my eye being cut which is a bit unpleasant!) and within days I'd got the best vision I can remember having - had worn glasses since I was at primary school.

I had a routine check up at a local optician a couple of years later and they told me that the surgeon made a really good job of it - no scarring etc - suggesting that not everyone has as positive experience.

Thanks for all the info so far I'm definitely going to have it done but as you say some are better than others and as its my eyes I'm not going to risk my eyesight by choosing the wrong surgeon,more recommendations would be helpful thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Moorfields Eye Hospital used to run research programmes where you can volunteer subject to the condition affecting your eyesight and the trials they are running. I had mine done 11 years ago in a LASEK V LASIK machine trial - they wanted to establish which technique worked best with a laser they were intending to purchase. The preoperative and postoperative care was superb. There is a cost associated, which for me was less than the cost of Harley Street, with the security of knowing I was in one of the world's best eye hospitals.

I have never looked back since, with reading glasses obviously (*groans*)...

Good luck!