We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

http://www.iyouall.com

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageSecondary glazing to cut out road noise
Posted by FH2016 January 27, 08:56PM

We live not far from the A205 and are looking to block out the road noise on one of the front facing rooms. It has a traditional single glazed box sash thats quite drafty. We got a few quotes for a replacement double glazed timber window, but they are absolutely eye watering. Is secondary glazing the solution? Does anyone have good experiences with secondary glazing with acoustic glass? How much should we be looking to spend on this?

messageRe: Secondary glazing to cut out road noise
Posted by Bumpkin January 27, 09:41PM

We live on East Dulwich Road and the first thing we did when we moved in was to install secondary glazing acoustic glass, best thing we did - massively cuts down on the noise. I can't comment on price as it was over 12 years ago so won't be at all realistic.

Posted by bobbsy January 28, 08:41AM

Replacing with a double glazed timber window, with acoustic glass - yes, crazy expensive, but shop around and you'll get better quotes. PM if you'd like a recommendation. It makes a huge difference to noise and heat.

Posted by Cheapfunkymonkey February 24, 11:07PM

Hi

I am also looking for a secondary glazing recommendation. who did you use?

thanks

Posted by adamc79 February 25, 03:51PM

I've used Duration Windows for our single glazed sashes. They've been excellent. If you order through a builder you can get a trade price, and they're relatively simple to fit yourself too if you want it even cheaper. Just make sure you measure accurately (twice)!

Posted by BM13 February 25, 04:31PM

once stayed in a hotel in Essex (old Victorian building) which had secondary glazing windows done by selectaglaze (name was on the frames, hence I know the manufacturer). secondary glazing made quite a difference, as we had it in our room, but not in the hall, so was able to compare.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum