We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by seenbeen February 28, 05:45PM

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone work in an office that is taking any
> precautions? If so, what are they?

Remember the BSE outbreak when all farms had containers of disinfectant at the gates so's you could scrub your wellies....hospitals and the GP surgeries have hand gel at the entrances anyway- it could be extended or we could all be given our own

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Alan Medic February 29, 01:29AM

JohnL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Travel to certain countries restricted.

I was thinking more of in office precautions like washing hands on arrival. Nothing where I work but then I don't expect any leadership from the directors.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by intexasatthe moment February 29, 08:31AM

Have the boys from Dulwich Prep who were tested for corona been found to be clear ?

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL February 29, 11:29AM

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JohnL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Travel to certain countries restricted.
>
> I was thinking more of in office precautions like
> washing hands on arrival. Nothing where I work but
> then I don't expect any leadership from the
> directors.

None of that - My boss is based in Germany and I suspect they are doing more.

Seems to be a bit casual at the moment in UK.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by seenbeen February 29, 01:05PM

And then there is North Korea...
[metro.co.uk]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Seabag February 29, 07:25PM

I’m definitely ‘working from home’ more.

Client “Shall we meet in town?”

Me “No, let’s Skype shall we”

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 01, 10:23AM

Matt Hancock seems to say (Marr/Ridge) there are four planned phases Contain, Delay, Research, Mitigate.

Whilst looking found this example of a corporate response from Coinbase (FinTech)
[cointelegraph.com]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by dbboy March 01, 10:42AM

Yes, the Contain, Delay, Research, Mitigate has been the approach for the last few weeks, so nothing new their.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Blah Blah March 01, 11:50AM

That is the right approach imo. How many people die, will depend on how widely the virus takes hold. Seasonal flu kills around half the percentage that this new virus seems to kill, but the reason why the seasonal flu figure is so low in real terms is because of an organised seasonal vaccination programe for the most vulnerable groups. Once there is a vaccine in place for COVID19, that too would become akin to seasonal flu. Until then however, the more the virus can be contained, the more likely the number of deaths will stay low in real terms, and the more likely we are to get to a vaccine before that changes.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Alan Medic March 01, 01:08PM

I spoke with my son this morning. He lives in Shenzhen. The only time he has been out in about the last two months has been to collect groceries delivered to the gate of his apartment block.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by TE44 March 01, 02:05PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the right approach imo. How many people
> die, will depend on how widely the virus takes
> hold. Seasonal flu kills around half the
> percentage that this new virus seems to kill, but
> the reason why the seasonal flu figure is so low
> in real terms is because of an organised seasonal
> vaccination programe for the most vulnerable
> groups. Once there is a vaccine in place for
> COVID19, that too would become akin to seasonal
> flu. Until then however, the more the virus can be
> contained, the more likely the number of deaths
> will stay low in real terms, and the more likely
> we are to get to a vaccine before that changes.


Blah Blah,Do you know the effectiveness of 2018-2019 flu vaccine, I cannot find them on PHE (public health England), I've read the 2017-18 which stated the overall flu vaccine effectiveness was 15%. I genuinelly would be interested. I would also be interested to know how far they came to the target of 600000 more children to recieve the live vaccine. I am aware they are still asking parents to vaccinate there children now as they are behind target but I can't find figures. Sorry can't put up link at moment.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Blah Blah March 01, 05:18PM

The 2018-2019 flu vaccine was 44.1% effective. Yes, 2017-2018 was particularly low at that 15%.

On child uptake, you will find all the figures in the opening paragraphs of this report. It varies from 44 to 75.9% depending on country within the UK.

[assets.publishing.service.gov.uk]

You can find previous years reports here.

[www.gov.uk]

Hope that helps.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by TE44 March 01, 07:29PM

Blah Blah Thanks so much, looks very interesting, have only glimpsed, but looks like a lot of research and observation around novel mers Middle East Respiratory Symptoms coronavirus, first recognised in uk in 2012.
Thanks BB, my phone doesn't open certain files.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Blah Blah March 01, 07:50PM

You are welcome. Both Mers and Sars gave an insight into how a flu pandemic could emerge and in turn be dealt with effectively. Eyes have been on Asia for a long time as the most likely place for an avian flu pandemic to break out as we both know, although birds migrate, so continuous testing of migratory birds goes on too. It is too early to say what the full impact of COVID19 could be, but the immediate concern for most governments is the high percentage of people who need intensive in patient care to recover. 10% of any population is a lot of people, and especially if they all become ill at the same time.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 02, 08:48AM

dbboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, the Contain, Delay, Research, Mitigate has
> been the approach for the last few weeks, so
> nothing new their.

Hancock creeped Marr out for nothing then smiling smiley

More importantly locally - a case at Wimbledon College.

[twitter.com]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 03, 04:22PM

"I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody"

Boris Johnson

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 05, 08:35AM

Worryingly the mortality is now set at 3.4% - varies depending on the standard of healthcare. There are also two separate strains of this virus L type and S type with L being more aggressive. The good new is that measures to contain it (as used in China) seem to work.

[www.cnbc.com]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by ED Bird March 05, 10:31AM

Two King's College Hospital patients test positive for coronavirus:

[www.standard.co.uk]

Parent tests positive for the Coronavirus at Lyndhurst Primary School:

[lyndhurstprimaryschool.com]

I have to admit, I did get a little spooked when I began to notice a number of people coughing & not covering their mouths along LL, so I've began doing my grocery shopping online now more than ever. I haven't used the tube. I've stopped my frequent visits to the west end... I'm taking as many precautions as possible.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Spartacus March 05, 10:39AM

JohnL do you work for the national press as you seem to be falling into their domain of spreading fear and panic over Covid-19 ?

So far numbers of cases in the UK are relatively low and whilst the very worst case scenario could see over a period of time that a majority of people will catch it (much like colds and Flu's) we won't all be down with it at the same time, public & emergency services may have peaks and troughs in numbers but things will still work to a good degree.

Whilst I am concerned it's an unknown strain of coronavirus, we shouldn't panic (yet) and good hygiene, not going to work / school / out if people aren't feeling well and making sure unnecessary personal contact (hugging, Hand shaking ...) is kept to a minimum then hopefully it will pass by with minimal impact on most people.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Angelina March 05, 11:35AM

I've noticed fewer people coughing / sneezing than usual on public transport.

Maybe this has actually made them aware of just how disgusting it is to do that. Quite a pleasant change.

I also quite like the idea of people washing their hands.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by edcam March 05, 12:48PM

I'm amazed at how washing your hands regularly seems to be a new idea.

This virus has come along at a great time for the Tories and other Brexiteers. Now they can blame everything on that instead of the real cause of our impending woes.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by fishbiscuits March 05, 01:03PM

Spartacus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whilst the very worst case scenario could
> see over a period of time that a majority of
> people will catch it (much like colds and Flu's)

Hmmm. If most of us catch it - say 40 million in the UK - doesn't that indicate around one million deaths, based on current estimated mortality rate? Most of us will know someone who dies. Minimal impact?

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 05, 01:14PM

Spartacus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JohnL do you work for the national press as you
> seem to be falling into their domain of spreading
> fear and panic over Covid-19 ?
>
> So far numbers of cases in the UK are relatively
> low and whilst the very worst case scenario could
> see over a period of time that a majority of
> people will catch it (much like colds and Flu's)
> we won't all be down with it at the same time,
> public & emergency services may have peaks and
> troughs in numbers but things will still work to a
> good degree.
>
> Whilst I am concerned it's an unknown strain of
> coronavirus, we shouldn't panic (yet) and good
> hygiene, not going to work / school / out if
> people aren't feeling well and making sure
> unnecessary personal contact (hugging, Hand
> shaking ...) is kept to a minimum then hopefully
> it will pass by with minimal impact on most
> people.

I'm IT but I am a bit of a pessimist in general - I have worked for media in the past, maybe I picked something up - there certainly used to be a lot of swearing when systems failed LOL.

But actually the news is not all negative as control measures are working in China so they will work here - they need to be strict however. I see working from home if you can (I am most days now), compulsory hand washes throughout the day etc. appearing.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Sue March 05, 02:12PM

Angelina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've noticed fewer people coughing / sneezing than
> usual on public transport.
>
> Maybe this has actually made them aware of just
> how disgusting it is to do that. Quite a pleasant
> change.
>

If you have got a cold ( not Corona symptoms obv) it is impossible not to sneeze and cough.

Did you mean sneezing and coughing without covering your mouth?

If everybody with a cold stayed at home, the country would come to a standstill! smiling smiley

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Angelina March 05, 02:12PM

Bumping elbows is back


[en.wikipedia.org]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 05, 02:13pm by Angelina.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Angelina March 05, 02:14PM

and the Footshake in new

[www.cnbc.com]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Blah Blah March 05, 04:12PM

Spartacus, the issue is not the mortality rate, but the percentage of people who need ICU care to recover. Current evidence says that is 10 per cent. Imagine if just a quarter of the population contract the virus at the same time. That would be need for more than a million ICU beds and medical staff to treat them. THAT is why China built two new hospitals in ten days. FYI, we have less than 180k hospital beds nationally and under 7k of those are in ICU's. The concern is real.

China has seen success because whole regions have been confined to staying at home, to the expense of local economies. It may well be however, that once those restrictions are lifted, the virus recovers. This is the problem with viruses. They keep going until there is no supply left for them to infect. Similarly, there will be reluctance from many countries to follow the example of China if the virus takes hold.

For a comparison, Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 1-3 per cent. It spread unchecked and ended up killing 100 million over two years. Seasonal flu by comparison kills around half a million each year and has a mortality rate of less than 1 per cent. So why risk a pandemic when we can try as hard as possible to contain, at least until a vaccine is ready for use.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by JohnL March 05, 05:16PM

Read this from 2017 about Spanish Flu again recently and it does give you the lesson not to underestimate these things.

"Initially the 1918 pandemic set off few alarms, chiefly because in most places it rarely killed, despite the enormous numbers of people infected. Doctors in the British Grand Fleet, for example, admitted 10,313 sailors to sick bay in May and June, but only 4 died. It had hit both warring armies in France in April, but troops dismissed it as “three-day fever.”

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by Trinnydad March 05, 06:32PM

Just bought my other half a conference call capable phone system to mean she can hold group meetings without having to travel on public transport. I reckon the Tube must be a high risk area from now on.

messageRe: Is the corona virus becoming a pandemic
Posted by NewWave March 05, 09:15PM

ED Bird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two King's College Hospital patients test positive
> for coronavirus:
>
> [www.standard.co.uk]
> -kings-college-hospital-london-a4378856.html?fbcli
> d=IwAR3vE2Rg43lYqLnc4cISbAslW23xctwQ8myGiomc3JRYTn
> NvXdMBnJfMUA8
>
> Parent tests positive for the Coronavirus at
> Lyndhurst Primary School:
>
> [lyndhurstprimaryschool.com]
> ate/?fbclid=IwAR3sugrdIuGGDo4HqV-2U1oPeDlIv_FiPXle
> WTRi_iZJ57mzmxnmSvsKpJc
>
> I have to admit, I did get a little spooked when I
> began to notice a number of people coughing & not
> covering their mouths along LL, so I've began
> doing my grocery shopping online now more than
> ever. I haven't used the tube. I've stopped my
> frequent visits to the west end... I'm taking as
> many precautions as possible.

Please I beg you and others to try and support businesses at this difficult time-If we dont support our shops our high streets become ghost towns.
Wear gloves, wash your hands often but remember peoples jobs depend on us actually going into shops not just going online.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum