Aircraft fumes

Sally Gross

Did anyone else just experience vile aircraft fumes (around 7pm)?

Having lived here (Nunhead, SE15) for over 30 years I am accustomed to this feature, but this evening eclipses past events. We are supposed to be safeguarded against this.

I can still smell the fumes, more than 20mins after the plane flew over.

I would be glad to hear if others got the same.

I doubt its from an aircraft- why would it be? They are still pretty high when they fly over you know, hardly like standing behind a car exhaust. If they were to do this as normal practice there would be far too many complaints from busybodies, so if there is any fuel to be dumped when there is an emergency they do it at sea.

Jet-A1 fuel has very distinctive exhaust smell and as someone who has lived under the flighpath of both Heathrow and City airport for many years I have never noticed it. Are you sure it is aircraft fumes - I presume it was an an aircraft approaching to land? Remember most aircraft on approach are essentially gliding and the engines are pretty much in idle - although many will have reached the bottom of their descent over here and might be using power before they lock onto the localiser and glideslope a few miles west of here (for Heathrow).