Cat or kitten

Metsy

I went to Celia Hammond over a month ago. I registered, told them I was looking for a mature cat and was shown 2 rooms and persuaded to adopt 2 kittens instead. I waited for a home visit. After a week I emailed them to enquire why no one had contacted me. I received an email back after a couple of days to say that they had phoned me twice and left messages and that I should call to arrange a visit. (If they did phone me I didn't receive any messages and I was ill at the time so home to receive the phone calls)I phoned them as instructed and told them the days I would be home. Several days passed and I still hadn't been contacted so I emailed a compliant. I was then contacted the next day and told that due to a shortage of staff and because I live in a flat the only cats available are feral or strays that would definitely need outside space so they were waiting for cats that were suitable before contacting me. I was then advised to look elsewhere for a cat to adopt.

I don't know if this is normal practice or not. I initially wanted to give an abandoned cat a lovely home but my Celia Hammond experience put me off slightly. I live in a 1st floor victorian conversion not a block so although ideally looking to house a house cat because I don't have a garden I could easily let a cat out opening my front door if necessary.

I love animals and know a lot of cats are mistreated and wanted to give one or two cats a loving home. I'm now looking at kittens or young cats because i've noticed so many breeders abandon female cats after they've given birth and would happily adopt a mother cat and one of her kittens.

I did go Battersea cats home I need 2 go back and register. Due to the fact that I live in a flat without a garden I was told I probably could only have a FIV cat because they don't believe cats should be house cats but then because I didn't register they haven't seen my home.

Hi jenny.

I wouldn't want a kitten younger than 11 weeks. I do think a lot of kittens are sold far too young as at 8 weeks a kitten still needs to learn a lot from it's mother. Also a lot of kittens aren't handled enough at the appropriate age especially those in shelters due to a shortage of staff and this can lead to cats being timid or not as affectionate to their human companions. I know I'll get my forever cat soon I just have to be patient.

Metsy, please persevere with Celia Hammond. They are very good. I got my two cats from there on separate occasions. They have been inundated with cats/kittens recently and were on BBC's Inside Out two weeks ago so could have been inundated with enquiries.

Please don't resort to Gumtree, whose breeders do it for the money and mostly don't care about the welfare of animals.

I too would say to persevere with Celia Hammond. We got our lovely 6 year old ginger tabby from them earlier this year. They came round to do a home visit and phoned back same day to say we could come in to pick a mog. We have a house but no cat flap so if he wants to go out we have to let him and they seemed fine with that.

Reception always seems a bit chaotic and i would say they are probably understaffed being a charity.

You could also try the Neighbourhood Vet on Barry Road. We were in there a couple of weeks ago and there was a notice on reception for a cat looking to be re-homed.

Good Luck!

We just had the best experience with Celia Hammond, so please try again Metsy. They are a charity under a lot of pressure with limited resources. However they definitely have older, indoor cats looking for homes.

Check out their cats at Canning Town. They are running a campaign right now for older cat adoption.

Here are a handful right now that would love a home like yours:

TED

PERCY

JONATHON

PATCHED & THE GENERAL

OSCAR BIG PAWS

JOJO

Try CatCuddles Sanctuary. I know them quite well - they offer a London cat sitting service too and one of their volunteers looks after lena if I am not around. They are lovely people and COMPLETELY swamped with cats and kittens at the moment, so I am sure they would be keen to let you see the cats they have around. There are usually more than on the website and they also have a very friendly facebook group

http://www.catcuddles.org.uk/adopting-a-cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi I'm in East Dulwich and have just called Celia Hammond to see if they can rehome my cat.There is a big waiting list so I just looked on here and saw your ad. I have a 8 year old tortoise shell cat called Mercury who is a home cat in as much as she spends a great deal of time indoors and is affectionate. Unfortunately I have to start at Leeds Uni Monday/Tues and Solent Uni Thurs/Friday and need to rehome her ASAP..Are you interested ?

Best

Paul Statham

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks 2 everyone who contacted me or replied to my thread. Thanks 2 East Dulwich forum I adopted the beautiful Olive 6 weeks ago. I plan on adopting another cat as a companion to Olive so if anyone knows of any indoor cats that need rehoming please contact me. Olive is 3 years and 9 months old and loves to play. She will need a younger cat that is neutered, playful and good with other cats. She's very affectionate but doesn't like strangers. She can sometimes be a bit of a Diva but I wouldn't change her 4 the world. She follows me around like a puppy I love her 2bits. We are registered with Neighbourhood Vets.

Archived