Single Parent House Share

rubes

Hello,

I currently live in Forest Hill with my 4 year old son and have been thinking about sharing with another single parent family for some time. I?m in no rush and I think the most important thing is taking the time to meet the most compatible family to move in with (by that I mean single mum or single dad and probably one child).

I?d like to stay in Forest Hill (as my son goes to school there) but would possibly move to a surrounding area such as Brockley, Peckham, East Dulwich, Nunhead or Sydenham. The whole point would be to have a happy home life so the kids can play and the parents can share the childcare sometimes so the other has more freedom to go out or take a night class, etc. But also get some company at home, too. I?d say I?m creative, into music and bands (although rarely go to gigs these days!), art and exhibitions, but also don?t turn my nose up at watching the odd bit of crap telly on a Saturday night. I?m 33, I work full-time and I?m pretty sociable. I have my son most of the time apart from Thursday nights and every other weekend.

If house/flat sharing is something you might like to do then message me and we can perhaps arrange to meet for a cup of tea or trip to the park with the kids.

Charlie (as in Charlotte)

• 2 months later...
Bumping as this is something I have been mulling over recently, in light of the current crazy rental prices. I am based in Dulwich and need to stay in the area as my daughter is at school in the village and also because I rely on my parents, who also live locally, for childcare. Has anyone out there actually done this? Would anyone be interested in looking into a possible house share in the Dulwich area (DVIS/Hamlet cachment)? I am a 40 year old single parent with a 7 year old daughter and 3 year old son, working 5 days but around school hours.

I have a friend who did this (she and her son rented a house with another single mum and her son) and it worked very well. They met up to get to know each other and talk about it a couple of times before introducing their sons to get their opinion too, and all four were into the idea of giving it a go so they did!

looks like plenty of people are thinking about it, and there are some good tips on things to think about in these threads, even the ones that aren't London based xx

http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/Forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=3551

http://www.movethat.co.uk/London/Forum/Single_Parents/

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/advice-support-40/single-parents-support-45/954313-single-parent-house-share-all.html