Dulwich village infants and dulwich hamlet

yenkcah

Hi

It's a couple of years away for my daughter yet but having seen the nightmare some have been going through with primary school admissions this year I thought I'd ask. We're on Elfindale Road, is it feasible we would get into Dulwich Village infants and or Dulwich Hamlet after that. I'd be interested in hearing from parents who applied to these schools this year as it seems to have been a particularly difficult year for primarys in the Dulwich area.

Also, St Anthony's - how far afield does it take kids from. We attend church (catholic)

cheers in advance

Hi Yenkcah,

I understand that the catchment map for these two schools cuts off at Village Way/Half Moon Lane. It could have changed, and obviously if you go to St Barnabus, they take that into account. I have friends who live well within the catchment area, who did not get their daughter in a couple of years ago. If you get your child into The Village Infants, apparently it does not necessarily follow that you will be granted a place at The Hamlet - that is very difficult.

St Anthony's is a very traffic laden journey from Elfindale, but I know of children who have made journeys of a similar distance.

I think it varies year to year. There are people on Elfindale that have had children at both schools. But it all depends how many are closer than you. It does not matter which Christian church you go to- as long as Dulwich Village is your nearest church school you can still apply on this basis ( we go to All Saints West Dulwich ).

Basically there is no catchment area as such anymore.

For the Infants, there are two sorts of place, church places and non-church places, and you cannot apply for both. It used to be 45 of each, but they may have changed. Church places requires regular attendence (twice a month) certified by vicar - no idea whether being a catholic counts (it is a CofE school) but can be any church (not just St B).

Within each category, the places go to siblings etc (but only siblings at the Infants, not at DH), and then to the children nearest to the school. So it all depends how many children in your category live closer than you do. You would expect to be able to live further away for church places (less people qualify). I know in the past people in Holdene Ave have got non-church places, and Ruskin Walk have got church places.

For DH, same rules, but only one category of place. Again, I know people in Holmdene who have got a place.

I think the Village school has an info pack explaining it all - but you have to drop in to pick it up.

Dulwich Hamlet is catchment area only. It's not a church school, so no church places. Siblings and social need get priority, but after that it's who lives closest. My daughter has a friend halfway up Elfindale - if not further -who was at the Hamlet with her after attending Bessemer for a couple of years.

There have been children from Elfindale Road and beyond in both of my kids classes at the infants, I think there is a very good chance that you will get in, especially if you are a genuine church goer.

As for the Hamlet, it is even more likely that you will get a place as admissions are on distance only, so people who live far away but attend St Barnabas (as some of the DVIS intake does) do not get in and the genuine locals such as yourself stand a better chance.

Its never a certainty though - so have yourself a B plan! I don't know about St Anthonys but the preist up there is the guy who says yay or nay so have a chat with him when you are next there.