Breakfast for a 7 month old

KatsuQueen

Hello, not a very exciting thread but just wondering what you give/have given your children for breakfast when they are little? MiniKatsu is quite keen on his solids but no teeth yet, and his food has to be smooth not lumpy. So far I have been giving him baby rice+fruit puree but I am going back to work soon and could do without the faff of pureeing fruit.

I have tried various baby cereals but he isn;t really keen on them (Hipp organic banana porridge...bleugh) or they seem to have sugar added eg the Heinz ones. Some are also "add milk" ones which I could do without as don't want to be fiddling about with formula. (Yes, lazy I know...but also he will be going to a childminder and she has said that I need to provide milk in cartons so could be an expensive exercise)

My sister suggested Mini weetabix mashed up with warm cow's milk. But MiniKatsu has had terrible eczema so I

am trying to avoid cows milk for a little while longer.

Any advice?

As a change from cereal my little one LOVES yoghurt...been giving it to him as brek and sometimes pud since about 5 months, and it's obviously very smooth and easy to swallow. I mix it with his pureed fruit, like mango/peach/pear/apple...and you can add cinamon which most little ones seem to love. Or stirr in some fruit from one of those Ella's pouches if you don't want to make your own fruit puree all the time. Very quick and easy.

Babies can have whole milk yoghurt (the best are full fat Greek yoghurt or organic whole milk live yoghurt) from the start because the enzymes in live yoghurt break down the lactose, so it is different to other dairy, which they are meant to avoid until 12 months.

Why not just give him fruit and toast to feed himself? Lack of teeth shouldn't be a problem, really. Just try some dry toast fingers, or bread sticks, with some slices of banana... Or cereal with oatmilk, it's quite nice (porridge or readybrek or weetabix though not sure about salt content of the latter)

Mini shredded wheat soaked in oatmilk, maybe?

Or stick with baby rice but add mashed banana, or a pot of fruit puree (though they're very sweet)

Or cook, puree and freeze fruit like apple, apricots, and add cubes of that to his rice. Apricots are high in iron.

These are some of the things I do:

- Toast & butter (soy butter to avoid dairy)

- chopped up fruit (I was always amazed at how mini Mellors could get through slices of apple with no teeth!) & soya yoghurt

- mini weetabix (soy milk/water, formula carton?) or sainsburys mini raisin wheats (they just have raisin puree in the middle, no added sugar), mini shreddies

- porridge with raisins/banana etc (water/soy etc)

She hated purees and sloppy smooth stuff of all descriptions (other than yogurt, obv), so has always just fed herself (I later discovered this is baby lead weaning although didnt know at the time!). Much easier than faffing with purees like I did with No 1, although messier.

Though toast and orange slices is not too messy.

You can pick the menu depending on how much time you have to sluice them down after... though twin no 1 has gone out with a big lump of weetabix grafted to his head, this morning.. I noticed it too late, alas.

You can ring the changes re types of bread... croissants, crumpets. You can use 100% bread if you want to avoid wheat.

Scotch pancakes!

I had forgotten about these, but they are super easy to make and really lovely for brekkie or an afternoon snack (for the whole family).

I made some breakfast muffins with apple pieces and prunes the other day that went down a treat as well. Could do the same with any kind of fruit.

My two have been having whole goats milk on their cereal since 6 months (cows milk does not agree with their tummies or their skin at all!) and they love baby swiss muesli with goats milk and a mashed banana. The only place I've seen this muesli is Healthmatters - it's suitable from 6 months. Cartons of goats milk are a bit more expensive than cows milk, but only using it on cereal would mean it would last you a few days! The problem with lots of prepared food is that it has cows milk already added - including lots of the baby porridges etc. Also things like croissants tend to have milk powder in them. Just on the eczema - I also found a treatment called Salcura Gentle Spray for baby eczema which works a treat! Only available on the net - I had it sent from a health shop in Grimsby of all places....

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Mellors, blimey, making breakfast muffins! I'm usually still wandering around unwashed in my nightie till mid morning. I go back to work in a few weeks time. Goodness knows how I'll get myself and MiniKatsu washed and fed and out the door by 7:30.