6 dogs stolen from dog walker in Forest Hill

Six dogs were stolen from the back of a dog walker's van in Forest Hill at 12.15 today. The dogs were loaded into a black transporter van with the registration starting LF13. One dog was handed into a pet shop in Bromley by a man who said he found him in Crystal Palace park. Any info anyone might have would be brilliant. Pics to follow. See here for more details:

https://www.facebook.com/dee.head/posts/10154508114054073

Is it now time to reconsider as to how many dogs a dog walker can care for at any one time. This being the 2nd theft of a large number of dogs.

Are these 'walkers' insured, are they covered by any legal document or such? Do they come under the Animal Welfare Act.

Although there are many genuine dog lovers around, more people seem to be doing this for the money.

My husband used to once a week or so walk a friend's German Shepherd as we no longer have dogs of our own, but would never consider combining the walk with another dog.

I think walking 2 dogs at a time should be the maximum. You could always stage the walks if you want to take on more dogs - say 2 dogs between 8 - 9 am , then another 2 10 - 11 etc.

Unfortunately to many people animals are becoming a commodity and a source of revenue. I think there should be a Register of Dog Walkers and that they would need to demonstrate their knowledge of basic dog first aid, dog handling skills, how to avoid 'dog conflicts' and how to behave in public places ( the walkers not the dogs)

Yes, whilst I agree its criminals targeting dogs, the dog walkers are not securing their vans, so it makes them sitting targets. Please dog walkers DO NOT leave your vans unlocked. These poor dogs mean the world to their owners. I really hope they are found ASAP. 2 dogs from previous van theft remain lost, i can't imagine what the owners are going through.

Update, the link here has pictures of this missing dogs. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/thieves-steal-six-designer-dogs-from-walkers-van-in-forest-hill-a3324111.html

Whilst I agree we all need to be vigilant, this dog walker was targeted by an organised criminal gang, a witness saw the same van scoping her address the day before and it all happened so quickly that this was definitely planned and not opportunistic. We are hoping the police can trace the van as they have a description and first half of the vehicle reg.

I don't really care if it was planned or opportunistic. Would they leave their iPad, mobile, wallet in their vans whilst they just popped out for a few seconds? It was known widely that a month ago a similar event occured. Why are they taking such risks with dogs that are irreplaceable, unlike the other items that can be replaced? My heart breaks for the dogs and owners.

As one of the owners of the dogs who was taken, we are indeed all heart broken. Knowing the details, my view is that once a professional criminal gang has decided to target you, there is very little that can be done. But, of course, we need to ensure we make it as difficult for them as possible. I'm wondering if the dogs were stolen to order. I posted this to alert others and to ask for help. If anyone recognises the van, the partial registration or any of the dogs in the pictures, please do get in touch with the police or call Dogs Lost 0844 800 3220.

I am so sorry you have lost your dog, all us dog lovers feel for you. Was the van locked or did the criminals have to break in? I sincerely hope you and the other owners have some good news soon but, dogwalkers have got to be more careful especially after the recent incident. Do not make it too easy for these evil people.

The police would probably think I'm mad and say people are allowed to sell their dogs. I just thought if owners of the two fawn pugs were on this forum they could look at the photos on the site, as they may be able to tell if theirs or not. I don't have Twitter or Facebook to put it on. This is the third incident as the second was, I think,in north London, a dog grooming van was stolen with dogs in it, however was found dumped not far from where stolen, with all dogs in van. Probably as the van had lots of writing and stickers on it was too noticeable and decided to dump. I wish these dog walkers wouldn't leave people's beloved pets in their vans. 6 dogs are far too many to be responsible for in any case. Let's hope these four dogs are found safe and Nina the Lurcher and Mattie the teacup yorkie from the previous theft are found safe and well. It is a sickening crime.

Delainie, do call 101, just give the information you've given here, better safe than sorry, alternatively alert dog lost, this does need checking out, even if it's not them. Their owners may not be looking on this site, but definitely I'd say they are linked in with dog lost.

And yes , this is the third stolen van with dogs. Lets hope now the message has got through to dog walkers to take more care.

Another point which I think needs addressing, is the growing obsession we seem to have to buy these new designer cross-breeds. Maybe these little dogs are often being stolen to order for breeding purposes. The sooner people stop buying cross-breed puppies online - or anywhere else - the better. There are already plenty of cross-breeds needing homes as it is.

Anyway, I really feel for the owners and hope these dogs are reunited with their owners soon.

Good news, two more of these dogs (Errol & Pia ), have both been handed in to two different vets. Just two more from this latest theft to find, lets hope they too get handed in. But two dogs from previous theft over a month ago ( Nina & Mattie ) still need to be found. We must not forget them and keep looking and passing information on.