We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Rye lane walk & cycle only from 6/7
Posted by Blah Blah July 12, 08:59PM

I think you make a sensible point Rollflick around the perception of the kerb vs road. Only when there is no hierarchy between the two, does the space become genuinely shared. Pedestrians automatically check a road before stepping onto it in the main. This encourages an automatic right of way to continue to exist in the minds of some cyclists. SO that has to be addressed I think. Cyclists who don't want to engage in the shared space mantra can still use the surrounding roads in the normal way.

Posted by Siduhe July 15, 10:15PM

First cycle down Rye Lane this week (there and back, 8am and 7.30pm).

Was a bit nervous having seen this thread but no issues with shared space that I saw. Plenty of pedestrians using the road, no crazy cyclists. There was a massive bin lorry driving in the middle of the road on way home so itís still open to some council traffic. And shops were a lot busier than last week which is good to see.

Posted by JohnL July 16, 12:09PM

I've seen a few people drive down and do U turns at the blocked off bit by the Nags Head.

Wonder if they get fines or there's a short amnesty.

Posted by JohnL July 16, 01:36PM

The thing is 1/3 of us will not go back to the office before Christmas and many of us (me included) will work from home for the time I'm in my present employment (which I'm lucky still to have many don't). A pedestrianised Rye Lane might be nicer if you're spending more time at home.

The bit going past my flat is not blocked off so there's no direct change for me and night screamers make the most noise these days.

Posted by wonderwoman July 20, 10:30PM

I was down the lane at weekend with my child and had to go onto the road to keep a distance from other pedestrians. Had to dodge a few cyclists and scooters travelling at speed, heard one cyclist shouting at why people are walking in road. Can't see why they can't put barriers along both sides of the pavements which would be helpful. At the moment just looks like a free for all. It's not very comfortable

Posted by Clutterqueen July 20, 11:45PM

No, it's not very comfortable shopping in Rye Lane now wonderwoman!

Bike riders and now the electronic scooters suddenly coming at you at speed as if I'm the person in the wrong!

These people are usually just passing by on the cycle lanes etc. put in place by Southwark and don't contribute to the area at all in any way. Shame on Southwark Council!

Posted by KidKruger July 21, 08:22AM

wonderwoman & Clutterqueen, you may both be mistaken - in fact you may both be hysterical and dismissing cyclists daily experience. Take time to reconsider what you actually experienced before amending your posts accordingly.

Blah Blah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KK, I am going to say it. You are being hysterical
> and worse than that, dismissing my objective
> experience as someone who cycles up and down Rye
> Lane most days.
>
> The thing about shared spaces is that they are
> just that. A random meandering of different users.
> It often looks chaotic when actually it is not.
> Have there been a run of collisions on the far
> more densely shared stretch at the top of Rye Lane
> over the years? No there haven't. What there has
> been however, are a lot of cyclists and
> pedestrians alike, complaining about having their
> assumed right of way impeded.
>
> The reality is that for any complaint, pretty much
> all shared space users observe an appropriate
> caution they would not otherwise. If they didn't,
> shared spaces would never work anywhere. All the
> evidence however shows they quite clearly do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 21, 08:23am by KidKruger.

Posted by JohnL July 21, 09:29AM

Late at night scooters seem to own Rye Lane at the moment.

Not seen any real incidents though except some taxi's trying to make a taxi rank just outside the blocked off bit (only one night).

Posted by thebestnameshavegone July 29, 12:23PM

Just ridden down here with my 6yo, something I would have never entertained previously. Working really well.

Great idea, hopefully will stick this time (it was done before, if anyone remembers the rising bollard of the early 2000s)

Posted by dontbesilly July 29, 02:32PM

During the actual lockdown of April, May and June- Rye Lane was completely lawless in regards to cars, businesses and the people who hang around there.

There is a reason why there needs to be a constant traffic warden on that very small stretch of road because people will freely flaunt the rules the second he is gone, as was the case during the worst of the pandemic.

At one point i was on a bus which was trying to get through, among all the cars parked wherever they pleased on the red route kerbs, were several shops that has expanded into the road itself- one with a huge crate of melons blocking the bus's path. Im afraid there is not much more that can improve that street- its utter choas and no one seems to give a damn, perhaps a massive regeneration of the whole area surrounding and including Rye Lane is necessary, to smarten it up a bit and drag it into the 21st century.

Posted by thebestnameshavegone July 30, 08:40AM

Ooh, can someone hear a dog whistle?

Posted by Pugwash July 30, 03:57PM

A friend recently experienced Rye Lane - took a bus from Peckham to ED - almost an hour journey due to the number of cars in Consort Road and other side streets trying to to figure out the new system

Posted by mynamehere July 30, 09:13PM

I love it closed

Posted by shebe July 31, 09:03AM

There have been roadworks/temporary lights at Consort Road/Clayton Road, which have been causing delays/tailbacks through the diversion. It wasnít clear what these were for and no-one working on Wednesday when I went through. Seems very ill-timed when Rye Lane has been closed to traffic, especially buses.

Posted by JohnL July 31, 11:57AM

DPD beer delivery couldn't get through to me yesterday and I blamed them LOL - probably the traffic.

Lets see today

Posted by JohnL July 31, 03:38PM

Seems some of the clubs are open on Rye Lane now - not sure which but some activity late at night on thursday - saturday.

Posted by Clutterqueen August 14, 12:42AM

KidKruger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wonderwoman & Clutterqueen, you may both be
> mistaken - in fact you may both be hysterical and
> dismissing cyclists daily experience. Take time to
> reconsider what you actually experienced before
> amending your posts accordingly.
>
>
> Blah Blah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > KK, I am going to say it. You are being
> hysterical
> > and worse than that, dismissing my objective
> > experience as someone who cycles up and down
> Rye
> > Lane most days.
> >
> > The thing about shared spaces is that they are
> > just that. A random meandering of different
> users.
> > It often looks chaotic when actually it is not.
> > Have there been a run of collisions on the far
> > more densely shared stretch at the top of Rye
> Lane
> > over the years? No there haven't. What there
> has
> > been however, are a lot of cyclists and
> > pedestrians alike, complaining about having
> their
> > assumed right of way impeded.
> >
> > The reality is that for any complaint, pretty
> much
> > all shared space users observe an appropriate
> > caution they would not otherwise. If they
> didn't,
> > shared spaces would never work anywhere. All
> the
> > evidence however shows they quite clearly do.

Posted by Clutterqueen August 14, 12:54AM

I'm certainly not hysterical and won't amend my post.

Only the other day I was driving down Herne Hill Road towards Loughborough Junction. All the way down I'd followed a Dad and his about a 10 year old son driving on my left side, giving them plenty of room to cycle down to the junction.

The traffic lights turned red. I stopped. The Dad just ushered himself and son around my car and waved his son on to follow him through the red light and beyond. The son looked pretty wobbly on his bike as the Dad was shouting out commands. I was gobsmacked as the Loughborough Junction has a lot of road works going on at the moment.

Posted by katgod August 15, 11:42PM

Our MO says she will write to TfL regarding the lack of a bus stop near the station now. Hope they take note.

Posted by binkylilyput August 18, 10:56AM

I love the new no car system. Being cautious as a cyclist but finding it great!
There will always be some foolish people in any situation

Posted by Siduhe August 19, 09:26AM

I'm not sure I now really understand the purpose of the Rye Lane closure with the changes that have been put in place from last week - not sure if this is formal or informal but every morning, someone from Conway removes the barrier at the top end of the Lane to allow delivery trucks and vans down for a few hours during peak times, and every evening (after about 7.30/8pm) one of the barriers is removed again allowing car and small vans access.

I can see why this is needed for shop deliveries, but the only vehicles that aren't allowed down at some point are buses, which definitely is stopping people from travelling to the area to shop just based on the numbers you see on the street.

Generally it's working well as a shared space for pedestrians and cyclists but both groups need to be prepared to jump out the way when a van comes barrelling towards you at speed on a supposedly vehicle-free space. I was cycling home about 9pm last night when a delivery van clipped a young guy on one of those electric scooters - the van didn't see him and the scooter wasn't expecting a van to be in the road. Luckily both were fine and no damage done but it's going to happen if the space isn't really vehicle free as intended.

Posted by JohnL August 22, 10:00PM

They were doing this for the Scaffolders originally (someone has scaffolding up in the closed area)

It seems to have expanded a bit - maybe the delivery drivers picked up on it. A certain pool bar owner was interviewed in Southwark News too about deliveries and taxis.

[www.southwarknews.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was august 22, 10:11pm by JohnL.

Posted by malumbu August 23, 06:54PM

Not sure why this is hidden in the Covid section - closing roads was happening in any case and I almost missed on this thread aka "we hate cyclists".

I've never been fond of the pedestrians walking across the cycle path, buses driving on it and taking down the curb, the poor sequencing of the lights and the way that many motorists ignored that Rye Lane was supposed to be bus only and would compound matters by parking in the double yellows. Well we have one of those out of the way.

Really enjoying the road closures and look forward to the time when public transport returns to some sort of normality and we have less cars on the road. Well done Southwark, and some of the other inner boroughs.

Posted by Clutterqueen August 23, 10:52PM

Public transport was already normal and the roads that have been in the area for many years were normal? Not sure about your point Malaumbu and your American spelling of a kerb in the UK?

Posted by malumbu August 25, 11:50PM

Oh my word, I've been using the wrong spelling of kerb. I must curb my enthusiasm.

Perhaps you might not have noticed that there has been a big decline of the use of public transport since March. In the early days it was great when the roads were empty, not so great now with cars back on the road. So you have got a difficult dynamic of closing roads when car use is rising and capacity/use of public transport has fallen.

I'm confused about your general point on normality. I shouldn't have used the term, which is relative rather than absolute. But I do look forward to a new normality when there is less use of, and dependence on, cars. I hope my syntax is correct this time but by all means do correct me again.

Posted by JohnL August 27, 12:00PM

It was open all night last night and for a while this morning.

Post is back in now.

Posted by malumbu August 29, 12:23PM

Was it you who tried to mow me down on an electric scooter Clutter Queen? I'm gently cycling down Rye Lane, getting a good feeling about how the pedestrianisation is going, noting the need to turn the traffic light crossings lights off, when I almost get taken out by a speeding scooter. Now there is a topic for a new thread. I'd clocked a couple of coppers on bikes who were totally unaware of the scooter. No fear there for speeding and illegal scooter riders.

Posted by Clutterqueen September 01, 10:13PM

No, I'm not a teenager/young person so that must have been somebody else!

Sounds good that you were able to gently cycle down the lane before you were nearly mown down.

I spent exactly an hour travelling from the Tesco Express on Copeland Road to the exit on the other side trying to get to Morrisons car park. Buses and company vans all held up. Horrendous traffic jam caused by the closure of Rye Lane.

Posted by JohnL September 02, 11:32AM

I saw someone powering up on a scooter yesterday and they'd customised the scooter by widening the platform. Didn't go close to anyone though.

Posted by pinkladybird September 25, 09:59PM

It's so much more pleasant to walk down now - I do hope they keep it like this. I've actually stopped avoiding it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum