Rye lane walk & cycle only from 6/7

With Islington and neighbouring Bromley this week being in the top ten councils seeing a spike in COVID cases nationally, and Lambeth also having a significant increase, closing Rye Lane was clearly the right decision to help prevent an increase in Southwark.

Before lockdown, 40% of the vehicular traffic on Rye Lane was pedal cycles. Sure it's more than 2500 per day now and this will only increase with more filters going in this week, e.g. Bishopsgate and Walworth. https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/manualcountpoints/86015

Telling everyone on two wheels to walk isn't going to walk on a major cycle route, you'd need police every 100m. In the short term Southwark should burn off the yellow lines etc. to reduce the perception of the kerb and then mark a 4.5m strip down the middle as a cycle track. That would make things simpler and clearer than everyone going everywhere. There's also a massive need for cycle parking to encourage all those people cycling to stop and spend, especially around Choumert Road and either side of the station.

Next Southwark is planning to make Peckham Rye east side (the bit by the Rye pub) cycle & bus only, with access for residents. Maybe the Consort/Copeland Road junction could be made into a mini-roundabout, allowing just cycle & bus access into Copeland Road, so there's a stop closer to the station.

"Next Southwark is planning to make Peckham Rye east side (the bit by the Rye pub) cycle & bus only"

How will this work as the only way to go to Nunhead if you come from the direction of Forest Hill (including if you come along Barry Road) is to go to the turn at the coop building in Peckham, come back on yourself and the go along the east side and turn left towards Nunhead

Equally if you are coming from the Copeland Road direction and want to go to East Dulwich Road (or beyond) you can't currently turn left or right at the East Dulwich Road / Peckham Rye junction so you have to go along the east side, turn right at the lights and approach the junction that way.

Closing of the east side will cause major issues going anywhere which will see cars being forced to use side roads to get to their destination.

Very badly thought through by the council as it is systematically cutting East Dulwich off from its neighbouring areas without thinking of the impacts on other roads or how the disabled and elderly will travel.

Let's prey what you you suggest above simply isn't true.

Where have you found out about these plans from?

rollflick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With Islington and neighbouring Bromley this week

> being in the top ten councils seeing a spike in

> COVID cases nationally, and Lambeth also having a

> significant increase, closing Rye Lane was clearly

> the right decision to help prevent an increase in

> Southwark.

>

> Before lockdown, 40% of the vehicular traffic on

> Rye Lane was pedal cycles. Sure it's more than

> 2500 per day now and this will only increase with

> more filters going in this week, e.g. Bishopsgate

> and Walworth.

> https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/manualcountpoints/8

> 6015

>

> Telling everyone on two wheels to walk isn't going

> to walk on a major cycle route, you'd need police

> every 100m. In the short term Southwark should

> burn off the yellow lines etc. to reduce the

> perception of the kerb and then mark a 4.5m strip

> down the middle as a cycle track. That would make

> things simpler and clearer than everyone going

> everywhere. There's also a massive need for cycle

> parking to encourage all those people cycling to

> stop and spend, especially around Choumert Road

> and either side of the station.

>

> Next Southwark is planning to make Peckham Rye

> east side (the bit by the Rye pub) cycle & bus

> only, with access for residents. Maybe the

> Consort/Copeland Road junction could be made into

> a mini-roundabout, allowing just cycle & bus

> access into Copeland Road, so there's a stop

> closer to the station.

KK, I am going to say it. You are being hysterical and worse than that, dismissing my objective experience as someone who cycles up and down Rye Lane most days.

The thing about shared spaces is that they are just that. A random meandering of different users. It often looks chaotic when actually it is not. Have there been a run of collisions on the far more densely shared stretch at the top of Rye Lane over the years? No there haven't. What there has been however, are a lot of cyclists and pedestrians alike, complaining about having their assumed right of way impeded.

The reality is that for any complaint, pretty much all shared space users observe an appropriate caution they would not otherwise. If they didn't, shared spaces would never work anywhere. All the evidence however shows they quite clearly do.

I think you make a sensible point Rollflick around the perception of the kerb vs road. Only when there is no hierarchy between the two, does the space become genuinely shared. Pedestrians automatically check a road before stepping onto it in the main. This encourages an automatic right of way to continue to exist in the minds of some cyclists. SO that has to be addressed I think. Cyclists who don't want to engage in the shared space mantra can still use the surrounding roads in the normal way.

First cycle down Rye Lane this week (there and back, 8am and 7.30pm).

Was a bit nervous having seen this thread but no issues with shared space that I saw. Plenty of pedestrians using the road, no crazy cyclists. There was a massive bin lorry driving in the middle of the road on way home so it?s still open to some council traffic. And shops were a lot busier than last week which is good to see.

The thing is 1/3 of us will not go back to the office before Christmas and many of us (me included) will work from home for the time I'm in my present employment (which I'm lucky still to have many don't). A pedestrianised Rye Lane might be nicer if you're spending more time at home.

The bit going past my flat is not blocked off so there's no direct change for me and night screamers make the most noise these days.

I was down the lane at weekend with my child and had to go onto the road to keep a distance from other pedestrians. Had to dodge a few cyclists and scooters travelling at speed, heard one cyclist shouting at why people are walking in road. Can't see why they can't put barriers along both sides of the pavements which would be helpful. At the moment just looks like a free for all. It's not very comfortable

No, it's not very comfortable shopping in Rye Lane now wonderwoman!

Bike riders and now the electronic scooters suddenly coming at you at speed as if I'm the person in the wrong!

These people are usually just passing by on the cycle lanes etc. put in place by Southwark and don't contribute to the area at all in any way. Shame on Southwark Council!

wonderwoman & Clutterqueen, you may both be mistaken - in fact you may both be hysterical and dismissing cyclists daily experience. Take time to reconsider what you actually experienced before amending your posts accordingly.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> KK, I am going to say it. You are being hysterical

> and worse than that, dismissing my objective

> experience as someone who cycles up and down Rye

> Lane most days.

>

> The thing about shared spaces is that they are

> just that. A random meandering of different users.

> It often looks chaotic when actually it is not.

> Have there been a run of collisions on the far

> more densely shared stretch at the top of Rye Lane

> over the years? No there haven't. What there has

> been however, are a lot of cyclists and

> pedestrians alike, complaining about having their

> assumed right of way impeded.

>

> The reality is that for any complaint, pretty much

> all shared space users observe an appropriate

> caution they would not otherwise. If they didn't,

> shared spaces would never work anywhere. All the

> evidence however shows they quite clearly do.

• 2 weeks later...

During the actual lockdown of April, May and June- Rye Lane was completely lawless in regards to cars, businesses and the people who hang around there.

There is a reason why there needs to be a constant traffic warden on that very small stretch of road because people will freely flaunt the rules the second he is gone, as was the case during the worst of the pandemic.

At one point i was on a bus which was trying to get through, among all the cars parked wherever they pleased on the red route kerbs, were several shops that has expanded into the road itself- one with a huge crate of melons blocking the bus's path. Im afraid there is not much more that can improve that street- its utter choas and no one seems to give a damn, perhaps a massive regeneration of the whole area surrounding and including Rye Lane is necessary, to smarten it up a bit and drag it into the 21st century.

There have been roadworks/temporary lights at Consort Road/Clayton Road, which have been causing delays/tailbacks through the diversion. It wasn?t clear what these were for and no-one working on Wednesday when I went through. Seems very ill-timed when Rye Lane has been closed to traffic, especially buses.

• 2 weeks later...

KidKruger Wrote:

> wonderwoman & Clutterqueen, you may both be

> mistaken - in fact you may both be hysterical and

> dismissing cyclists daily experience. Take time to

> reconsider what you actually experienced before

> amending your posts accordingly.

>

>

> Blah Blah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > KK, I am going to say it. You are being

> hysterical

> > and worse than that, dismissing my objective

> > experience as someone who cycles up and down

> Rye

> > Lane most days.

> >

> > The thing about shared spaces is that they are

> > just that. A random meandering of different

> users.

> > It often looks chaotic when actually it is not.

> > Have there been a run of collisions on the far

> > more densely shared stretch at the top of Rye

> Lane

> > over the years? No there haven't. What there

> has

> > been however, are a lot of cyclists and

> > pedestrians alike, complaining about having

> their

> > assumed right of way impeded.

> >

> > The reality is that for any complaint, pretty

> much

> > all shared space users observe an appropriate

> > caution they would not otherwise. If they

> didn't,

> > shared spaces would never work anywhere. All

> the

> > evidence however shows they quite clearly do.

I'm certainly not hysterical and won't amend my post.

Only the other day I was driving down Herne Hill Road towards Loughborough Junction. All the way down I'd followed a Dad and his about a 10 year old son driving on my left side, giving them plenty of room to cycle down to the junction.

The traffic lights turned red. I stopped. The Dad just ushered himself and son around my car and waved his son on to follow him through the red light and beyond. The son looked pretty wobbly on his bike as the Dad was shouting out commands. I was gobsmacked as the Loughborough Junction has a lot of road works going on at the moment.