Forum Sponsors

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/free-architect-consultation/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageCycling to Isle of Dogs
Posted by damzel November 03, 10:13AM

I'm about to start a new job on Isle of Dogs so checking the cycle route. The long way round over Tower Bridge will take 50 mins which seems ridiculous (and longer than getting the train). The direct route under the Greenwich walkway I'm guessing is difficult in rush hour - getting the bike up and down the stairs and having to walk it through? Or can you cycle through and get it in the lift? How do others get there?

messageRe: Cycling to Isle of Dogs
Posted by almost peckham November 03, 11:01AM

I used to use the foot tunnel. The lifts are very large - no problem fitting bikes in. I also used to use the stairs - I wore a backpack so that my bike was light enough to carry up and down. You're not meant to cycle through but I used to get away with scooting through when it wasn't busy.I'd go greenwich route rather than tower bridge.

Posted by natty01295 November 03, 11:45AM

I have seen lots of people Cycling though there

Posted by tekp2 November 03, 12:06PM

I did the bike commute from bellenden road to canary wharf, via the Greenwich tunnel for 6 months or so. The tunnel is fine, the lifts are massive. Even following the "no cycling in the tunnel" rule, it's still quite quick.

Posted by Sally Eva November 03, 07:17PM

put your start/finish points into cycle.travel to check out the rest of the route.

re the foot tunnel: the lifts are good and even walking you will be quick. The river's not wide, it's just cold, dirty and wet

Posted by JohnL November 04, 07:51AM

almost peckham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to use the foot tunnel. The lifts are very
> large - no problem fitting bikes in. I also used
> to use the stairs - I wore a backpack so that my
> bike was light enough to carry up and down. You're
> not meant to cycle through but I used to get away
> with scooting through when it wasn't busy.I'd go
> greenwich route rather than tower bridge.

Everyone used to do that when I walked through. Technically walking but half riding.

Posted by 5imon November 04, 12:26PM

I cycle daily from ED to Canary Wharf via the foot tunnel.
Route goes ED, Ladywell, Brockley, Deptford, Greenwich. Very few major roads, mostly side streets.

I strongly advise against going via Tower Bridge - it's a very unpleasant route to IoD and CS2 is an absolute nightmare in the morning.

If you're heading in/out early and there aren't many people walking in the tunnel, no one really objects to people scootering their bikes, but as always mindfulness and respect for other tunnel users is crucial.

Lifts are fine, but you'll have to deal with a couple of days a month where they're out of service. Victorian architecture innit.

Feel free to PM me if you want to see my route.

messageRe: Cycling to Isle of Dogsattachment
Posted by damzel November 05, 04:31PM

Thanks all. Sounds like the tunnel is the way to go. I trialled the route at the weekend and was concerned that there would be queues to get in the lift as there were lots of people walking through it on Sunday (no way that scooting would have been possible). Perhaps it is actually quieter in rush hour?

I'm worried about the lifts being out of order as I would struggle to carry my bike (with full pannier) up and down. I wonder if there is a way to check whether they are working before leaving the house in the morning?

5imon - thanks, I'll PM you for your route as mine was a bit wiggly (see attached), although I was pleased that it was a lot quieter than my old route to Bishopsgate.

Attachments: Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 16.26.58.png (410.3KB)  
Posted by louisemurray November 06, 09:18AM

THere is a little knoiwn ferry in Rotherhithe at Nelson Dock pier - accessed through the Hilton Doubltree. Its costs. but does take bicycles and goes straight across the river to Canary Wharf. Easy access from here

Posted by 5imon November 06, 11:06AM

you've got pretty much the same route as me..only diffs being that I go up St Norberts then Malpas, then Greenwich High Road to get to the foot tunnel. There's very little in it, but I've done various iterations and found this to be the best combination of quiet roads and time/distance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 06, 11:07am by 5imon.

Posted by damzel November 06, 12:51PM

5imon Wrote:
> you've got pretty much the same route as me..only
> diffs being that I go up St Norberts then Malpas,
> then Greenwich High Road to get to the foot
> tunnel. There's very little in it, but I've done
> various iterations and found this to be the best
> combination of quiet roads and time/distance.

Thanks - Norbert/Malpas is more direct than my route so should shave off a few minutes. Do you get on Greenwich High Road where it starts just after Deptford Bridge? Is it a nightmare for close passes?

Posted by 5imon November 06, 12:54PM

That's right. GHR is reasonably quiet in the morning - never had an issue there to be honest.
The junction near Greenwich market can be busy, but it's a very short hop to the cutty sark and the start of the tunnel.

Posted by goldilocks November 06, 02:47PM

Interested in this = wondered how long it takes at a not super fast speed including lifts please?

Posted by jdf November 07, 04:07PM

damzel Wrote:
> 5imon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you've got pretty much the same route as
> me..only
> > diffs being that I go up St Norberts then
> Malpas,
> > then Greenwich High Road to get to the foot
> > tunnel. There's very little in it, but I've
> done
> > various iterations and found this to be the
> best
> > combination of quiet roads and time/distance.
>
> Thanks - Norbert/Malpas is more direct than my
> route so should shave off a few minutes. Do you
> get on Greenwich High Road where it starts just
> after Deptford Bridge? Is it a nightmare for
> close passes?

I ride the Norbert/Malpas route also (from Nunhead). I don't much like Creek Road or Greenwich High Road, so if I'm not in a hurry I go straight across the pedestrian crossing at the end of Copperas Street, then follow the bike path across the footbridge and along the river to the tunnel. Adds a few minutes, but more "scenic".

Seems to take 25-35 minutes to Canary Wharf, depending on how excited I am.

Posted by mikeb November 08, 09:10AM

I'm putting forward a vote for Tower Bridge. Aside from the half mile stretch of Tower Bridge Rd over the bridge itself, the rest of the route is dedicated or off-road cycle paths. I particularly enjoyed watching the seasons change along Surrey Canal Path, with May being my favourite.

Posted by damzel November 08, 10:02AM

How long does it take from north side Tower Bridge to Isle of Dogs? I'm used to the route up to that point as that's my old route to Bishopsgate and it takes about 25 mins to there. Is it going to be another 15?

Posted by wulfhound November 08, 12:24PM

About 15. The north side of Tower Bridge is awful (as you probably know), but once you turn right on to Cable Street it's very well-signposted (CS3) and easy going.

Posted by njc97 November 08, 12:50PM

Tiny tweak: if I understand your map you turn right from Friendly Gardens to Albyn Road so you can join New Cross Road for a stretch before the start of GHR. I hate New Cross Road because of the traffic, so instead carry on Friendly St to the end and you can then cut through the park (Broadway Gardens) to get to Deals Gateway which is opposite the start of GHR. Means you get a set of lights to yourself.

Posted by damzel November 08, 01:01PM

Ah yes njc97, the NCR section was awful so I was looking for a way around it and had spied the park on Google maps - good to know you can cycle through. Thanks

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum