We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

Glazer Delmar

All Round Renovation

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
messageRe: Melbourne Grove South Barrier
Posted by exdulwicher June 24, 10:14AM

Quote:
However, parents dropping kids off to school will be able to do so with relative ease.

Agree with everything you say F.M. That's the part that needs removing, the parents driving right up to the school gates to drop their little darling off (and it's the same at JAGS, Alleyns, Hamlet etc). A significant part of the congestion around the Townley Road / EDG junction is exactly that, people driving all the way along Calton/EDG/Townley to drop the kids right at the school gate rather than 200m away. Suspect you're right with Melbourne as well, the road risks becoming a 2-way jam of 4x4's all going up, turning round and coming out again...

Posted by first mate June 24, 10:32AM

And alas, I think certain stakeholders have been well and truly hoodwinked and used. Some are saying the same about councillors.

You dont put in double yellows as a short term measure to allow cars to turn until word gets round- road signs do that job. No, Cllr Livingtone knows full well that car delivery of children will not cease as many come from too far away. This is a designed in Charter school drop off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 24, 10:33am by first mate.

Posted by Abe_froeman June 24, 10:38AM

Does the Charter School have onsite parking for teachers, like so many of the other schools round here do?

Posted by Rockets June 24, 02:57PM

EDguy89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rockets Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Have they expanded the closures on Melbourne
> Grove
> > as they now refer to it as "a closure to all
> motor
> > traffic on Melbourne Grove, south of Tell Grove"
> -
> > which suggests no vehicles will be able to gain
> > access to the whole section of Melbourne Grove
> or
> > is it just badly worded?
> >
> > Also, the fact they have left the Healthy
> Streets
> > map in place does this mean that they will also
> be
> > pressing ahead with the closure of Eynella and
> the
> > expansion of the CPZ to areas B and C under
> this
> > plan too?
> >
> > The communication from the council has been
> > appalling - deliberately confusing and unclear
> -
> > and I am interested to see that Comrade McAsh
> is
> > keeping a very-low profile nowadays and now
> > seemingly applies a controversy-filter to
> anything
> > he responds to and avoids any questions he
> doesn't
> > see fit to answer.
> >
> > The sooner we get a chance to vote on whether
> we
> > want this rabble in control locally the better
> -
> > it seems the Labour party haven't learnt
> anything
> > from the election and the sooner Keir Starmer
> gets
> > to grips with rooting the far-left out of the
> > party at all levels the sooner they will have
> the
> > chance to start earning the respect of the
> > electorate once again.
>
> [www.southwark.gov.uk]
> mproving-our-streets/live-projects/our-healthy-str
> eets/our-healthy-streets-dulwich
>
> The hyperlink to the PDF file entitled "Melbourne
> Grove" has a map that shows exactly where the
> barrier will be placed.
>
> Looks like vehicles won't be able to get access to
> Melbourne Grove from East Dulwich Grove.

Ah ha, so it isn't a closure to traffic as the council's note suggests but a closure to traffic trying to use Melbourne Grove from East Dulwich Grove - the closure to all traffic was probably wishful thinking on behalf of the council!

Posted by ed_pete June 24, 04:29PM

I'm not given to conspiracy theories but you do end up thinking that someone in that section of Melbourne Grove must really have the Councils ear. They avoided being the CPZ in apite of being closer to the Health Centre and Station than some roads are in the CPZ and now they got a barrier to keep the traffic out. Special treatment ? Who knows.

Posted by creditwheredue June 25, 12:50AM

Am I missing something here? Surely the closure of Melbourne is to stop rat running once Townley and Eynella/Court Lane are also closed. As a resident living off of Melbourne this was something I wanted once I found out about the other roads.

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 25, 07:47AM

ed_pete ,it does seem odd doesn't it ?

Posted by Abe_froeman June 25, 03:00PM

What you are missing is that Townley Road, Eynella Road and Court lane are not being turned into gated communities.

Posted by Abe_froeman June 25, 03:02PM

and "rat running" is quite an ignorant phrase. If someone lives in Ashbourne Grove and needs to use their car to get to and from herne hill they still have to rat run, it's just that they will now have to rat run down lordship lane on the way out and along Matham Grove on the way home.

Normal people call this driving rather than "rat running"

Posted by Chunx June 25, 03:16PM

I do not agree with closing off any roads. This disadvantages those whose only mode of transport Is private car for health reasons. Now with covid everyone is discouraged from use of public transport, which will inevitably mean more motorised vehicle use = more congestion, hence all road restrictions should be removed. IMO

Posted by spider69 June 25, 03:47PM

For the first time since lockdown I used my car to reach DKH and found all there were are roadworks and road changes.

Are the works a deliberate ploy by Southwark to make driving as difficult as possible. Having to avoid these diversions I drove many more miles than was necessary.

The whole thing is madness.

What is happening to the top of Camberwell Grove as it is now closed to traffic.

No notification by Cllrs that any of this is happening. But then I am not sure if our Cllr actually exists any more.

First time in a car since lockdown the whole scene had changed not for the better.

Posted by exdulwicher June 25, 04:02PM

Quote:
For the first time since lockdown I used my car to reach DKH and found all there were are roadworks and road changes.

DKH roadworks is this:

[consultations.southwark.gov.uk]

Think it was about a month later than planned in starting due to lockdown etc.

Posted by first mate June 25, 05:10PM

Well, in this one instance I guess it does make sense to get the work done before autumn but lets hope it is done as quickly as possible. For those needing to travel and who for health reasons cannot, walk, cycle or take public transport it is pretty galling.

Posted by creditwheredue June 25, 11:19PM

Abe_froeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you are missing is that Townley Road, Eynella
> Road and Court lane are not being turned into
> gated communities.

But the junction they all head towards in Dulwich Village is being blocked off so not much point in driving down them unless you live in one of those roads.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum