We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageBus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by mary123 October 17, 07:51AM

Driving along lordship lane is impossible to avoid steering into the buslanes to avoid oncoming cars and buses as they keep away from parked cars on their side, would we get any fines from driving in and out of the bus lanes to avoid and bumping into oncoming traffic?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 17, 10:02am by mary123.

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Sally Eva October 17, 09:24AM

Yes, you are supposed to stop.

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by rupert james October 17, 09:42AM

So if you are in a traffic jam, the bus lane and cycle lane is completely empty and unused and traffic is heading towards you you have to sit and stop all movement and hope they do not hit you.

Do you need a degree to make these rules?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by KidKruger October 17, 09:48AM

Not sure what the OP means.
If it's "impossible to steer into the buslanes", then "fines from driving in and out of the bus lanes" is surely impossible ?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Penguin68 October 17, 09:52AM

You can be fined (and people are) for moving into a bus lane to allow an emergency vehicle on 'blues and twos' to pass (either from in front or behind). Better people die than an empty bus lane is momentarily blocked. That's the world we live in.

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Sue October 17, 04:28PM

Penguin68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can be fined (and people are) for moving into
> a bus lane to allow an emergency vehicle on 'blues
> and twos' to pass (either from in front or
> behind). Better people die than an empty bus lane
> is momentarily blocked. That's the world we live
> in.


😮😮😮

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by kford October 17, 05:21PM

I researched this a few years ago after being caught in one; you're allowed in for 20m or so, for turning tight left, for example.

[blog.greenflag.com]

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Growlybear October 17, 05:41PM

I was caught a few years ago at the bottom of Brockley Rise when I went into the last 10m of the bus lane. I was turning left anyway and moved into the bus lane slightly early to avoid an oncoming lorry that would have probably hit me if I hadn’t moved. When I received my penalty charge notice, I went back to measure how far I had been from the end of the bus lane - it was exactly 10m. I appealed but still had to pay because I’d gone into the bus lane .

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by KidKruger October 17, 06:36PM

I got caught several years ago leaving a gas station on Stansted Road.
I had to cross the bus lane to get to the outside lane and as I did so I was photographed and fined.

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by OutOfFocus October 17, 06:39PM

KidKruger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got caught several years ago leaving a gas
> station on Stansted Road.
> I had to cross the bus lane to get to the outside
> lane and as I did so I was photographed and fined.

Don't understand that. How do you get out of the petrol station?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by KidKruger October 17, 09:42PM

Ha ha I didn’t understand it either.
Imagine how much money they made on that one.
As I pulled out to go in the far lane, the guy who was giving way to me moved forward a bit (while still offering me to go in front of him in the far lane) so instead of going straight across into the far lane, I had to go about 20 feet along bus lane to take the gap being offered to me - behind him was solid traffic.
That’s why they got me. Totally predatory though.

OutOfFocus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KidKruger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I got caught several years ago leaving a gas
> > station on Stansted Road.
> > I had to cross the bus lane to get to the
> outside
> > lane and as I did so I was photographed and
> fined.
>
> Don't understand that. How do you get out of the
> petrol station?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly Yesterday, 10:44AM

So in order to turn right out of the petrol station, you turned left, drove 20 feet down the bus lane, then chucked a uey (in front of the guy that was letting you through) to turn into the lane coming the opposite direction?

If that was the manoeuvre I'm not surprised you were fined. Did you appeal it?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by ianr Yesterday, 10:48AM

Penguin68 wrote on October 17, 09:52AM:
--------------------------------------
> You can be fined (and people are) for
> moving into a bus lane to allow an
> emergency vehicle on 'blues and twos'
> to pass (either from in front or behind)

Where does this information come from?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by malumbu Yesterday, 11:13AM

Interesting that Gove talked about flexibility in enforcemnent of Covid restrictions, ie warnings in the first instance and the concept of an 'innocent error' [www.eveningexpress.co.uk] Perhaps this applied to him when he admitted taking cocaine (ouch, that is a bit below the belt).

Yonks ago I tried to take on the authorities about this sort of thing - automatic fines for small transgressions, but gave up as was getting nowhere with the powers that be. As well as arguing about proportionality, this was also about demonising nice law abiding people rather than the serial abusers - speed merchants, parking on double yellows etc. Happy just to crush their vehicles, that will show them.

I've had more than my fair share of traffic violations, driving at a time when the police were much more focused on this sort of thing but generally learned my lesson. I did get caught on a speed trap in Austria a few years ago and the authorities were a pleasure to deal with - no points, no harm to my insurance and a 'sensible' fine. Now if I was a right wing libertarian I could have argued that it was 2 in the morning and the road was empty of vehicles and people. But I am not so more fool me for not taking more notice of the speed limit.

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Penguin68 Yesterday, 11:44AM

Penguin68 wrote on October 17, 09:52AM:
--------------------------------------
> You can be fined (and people are) for
> moving into a bus lane to allow an
> emergency vehicle on 'blues and twos'
> to pass (either from in front or behind)

Where does this information come from?


A quick search:-

[www.thesun.co.uk]

[www.chroniclelive.co.uk]

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by nxjen Yesterday, 12:12PM

These two references report on what is theoretically possible, not what has actually happened. What is the source of your statement “(and people are)”? I think you maybe being hysterical 🙂

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by legalalien Yesterday, 12:38PM

[www.google.co.uk]


[www.google.co.uk]

It does clearly happen. I always thought the point was that it is best to try and leave the bus lane clear so that the ambulance can use it?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by nxjen Yesterday, 12:49PM

While both theses cases involve the issue of a fine, both councils in question say they could have been appealed, the second council (Hull) going so far to say that pulling over into a bus lane to avoid an ambulance amounts to “mitigating circumstances.”

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by mary123 Yesterday, 12:52PM

Just to be clear from the responses above, the majority have said we cannot veer into the bus lanes at any point on lordship lane, but this is not possible as the road is narrow due to parked cars especially by the shops, so if we stay on the road and don't avoid oncoming traffic toward us we will be colliding with each other surely??

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by sjsl Yesterday, 01:02PM

I was issued a fine for moving into a bus lane to allow a fire engine to pass safely in Acre Lane – on the photos it clearly showed the blue-lighted engine coming at me. There was also a traffic island and an oncoming vehicle, so I was avoiding a pile-up. I had to go through all levels of appeal, was rejected at least once but eventually the charge was withdrawn. General advice, don't go into bus lanes, generally it's not too hard!

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by KidKruger Yesterday, 01:32PM

no, I was turning left out of the station, smart arse.



Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So in order to turn right out of the petrol
> station, you turned left, drove 20 feet down the
> bus lane, then chucked a uey (in front of the guy
> that was letting you through) to turn into the
> lane coming the opposite direction?
>
> If that was the manoeuvre I'm not surprised you
> were fined. Did you appeal it?

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by KidKruger Yesterday, 01:40PM

absolutely.
This is why I never go into a bus lane (where we are within the restriction period) even with an ambulance behind me / needing to pass.
If the system can't handle revocation of penalties in these situations, then I will avoid those situations.


sjsl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was issued a fine for moving into a bus lane to
> allow a fire engine to pass safely in Acre Lane –
> on the photos it clearly showed the blue-lighted
> engine coming at me. There was also a traffic
> island and an oncoming vehicle, so I was avoiding
> a pile-up. I had to go through all levels of
> appeal, was rejected at least once but eventually
> the charge was withdrawn. General advice, don't go
> into bus lanes, generally it's not too hard!

messageRe: Bus Lane on Lordship Lane
Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly Yesterday, 04:27PM

KidKruger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no, I was turning left out of the station, smart
> arse.
>
>
>
> Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So in order to turn right out of the petrol
> > station, you turned left, drove 20 feet down
> the
> > bus lane, then chucked a uey (in front of the
> guy
> > that was letting you through) to turn into the
> > lane coming the opposite direction?
> >
> > If that was the manoeuvre I'm not surprised you
> > were fined. Did you appeal it?


No need to get upset or throw abuse about!

You just turned into the bus lane, drove down it a bit, and then moved into the normal traffic lane. That makes more sense. Did you appeal it?


Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum