Barclays - card skimmed in corner machine!

mr garcia

On the 6 of Jan, my card was skimmed at this machine, card not returned, machine went out of order. Next day discovered 2 withdrawals from my account, one only 6 minutes after the incident!

Police informed, but Barclays not interested! My bank refunded my money within one day.

Chris

The bankls pretend not to be interested but I think a separate police team investigates.

WHen my account was accessed (few years ago now) they told me not to bother with the police as a team was already working on the case - money never oficially went out as I never saw the rogue statements only a balance.

Sorry Lousiana, just to clear up the confusion.

The police oversee two national bodies related to crime of this sort, they are Action Fraud, and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau.

The confusion occurs because it is the responsibility of the financial instiution to report the crime to Action Fraud, and upon issuing of a crime reference number, to reimburse the customer.

It is down to the financial institution because they can offer far more valuable and relevant information than the customer (who essentially only knows their money has been stolen).

It's most definitely a police issue though ;-)

So the police aren't 'on record' saying it's a bank issue, they're simply trying to avoid confusion by sending the customer (correctly) back into the appropriate reporting channels.

Just my impression from a few years back. Been more careful since :)

I think this is being treated as organised crime to an extent.

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The bankls pretend not to be interested but I

> > think a separate police team investigates.

> >

>

> A 'police team'? The police is already on record

> as saying it's a bank issue, not a police issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that if they use a "Lebanese loop", then, yes, the villains will retrieve the card later (probably pretty soon). It might be tempting to hide and wait for them with a phone camera at the ready... but I really wouldn't advise it, as you don't know how many they are or what they might be capable of physically.

There's more discussions and useful links on the existing thread that ianr mentioned.

This scam also relies on a pinhole camera being installed somewhere in or close to the machine to video your PIN number. The single most simple thing you can do is ALWAYS shield your typing hand with your other hand - in shops and garages as well as at cash machines. It's actually worth practising so you can key your PIN accurately "blind".

The same happened to me just before Xmas at the ATM at the Co-op on Forest Hill Road. I didn't cancel the card until the next morning by which time a few thousand pounds had beentaken from my account in 19 chip and pin transactions. The bank haven't paid me any money back yet as they were chip and pin. The lesson is if the machine keeps your card, cancel it immediately. It seems like this is happening a lot in our area

I lost a card in a machine in Sainbury's at DKH during working hours - the Sainbury's people told me that they couldn't retrieve it (they have no access to the cash machines). I cancelled it immediately and I have no reason to suppose it was attempted theft but just an ATM malfunction - however note that unlike banks during working hours (who normally can access their machines for card problems) non-bank sited ATMs cannot be accessed by their 'landlords' - so even if you lose a card during working hours you are best immediately cancelling it if it is lost in a non-bank sited ATM, even where you do not have any suspicions about the 'look' of the ATM.