East Dulwich Hotel - any info on what's happening?

Jo31

Aristide Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> phew, what a stinker,

>

> maybe they should have got an Architect, but then

> again look at the new Harris Primary!

interestingly similar in design, massing, and general unloveliness to the architect-designed erections in the old police station carpark (the old old police station on CPRd, not the new old police station which is now the Harris). even down to the dog-run style outdoor spaces.

• 2 months later...

According to the planning portal the council have granted planning permission.

I was interested to read the officer report ( http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/documents/?GetDocument=%7b%7b%7b!WiD9VPRzOu0XdtcuyOW42g%3d%3d!%7d%7d%7d ) especially around the area of car parking as quoted

"Car parking

The proposal does not provide off-street car parking spaces and the proposal site does not provide opportunities for off-street parking that could be realised whilst maintaining an acceptable design for the proposal. The site is not located within a controlled parking zone and, as such, the location is not considered to be under parking stress. Future occupants may park on-street, as is the case for the current hotel use. It should be noted that hotels typically exert greater pressure on parking to that of residential uses as they are visited by guests and staff. This is particularly the case when not located in town centres or areas with good public transport accessibility as fewer visits will be made by public transport. For this reason the proposal is unlikely to cause additional pressure on parking in the local area to that caused by the current use. It is acceptable for the proposal to rely on on-street parking."

I have to question if the officer ever visited the site as it was more of a temporary accommodation hostal than a hotel and as such there was only the occasional use of parking, rather than exerting pressure on parking. In my honest opinion 4 new houses will more than likely attract families with at least one car each where as now I suspect there is only one car (max) amongst th residents and staff.

Also the summary of consultation responses seemed in my mind to over simplify the individual comments made.

Oh well, guess it's a done deal now, let's hope the builders are more responsible than the ones doing the old police station down the road...

This is the pretty astonishing statement to me - I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it strikes an interesting note in light of the "yellow lines for 10m either side of junctions thread"

The site is not located within a controlled parking zone and, as such, the location is not considered to be under parking stress.

So, unless we have a CPZ, Southwark is saying that they don't recognise parking stresses in the area? Is this just badly worded or is it as blatant as it seems to be (i.e. unless you agree/demand a CPZ we won't take account of parking in your area when considering planning issues)?

craigyboy71 Wrote:

> Oh well.... I'll prepare myself for the HGVs and

> the demolition work!

Has anybody noticed just how traffic monitor strips have appeared on roads across the borough?

Southwark will keep on going this until they get the right numbers to push through traffic and road controls.

Since Camberwell Grove has been closed surrounding streets have these across the road. Traffic will of course get greater, more ammuntion for their cause to close roads to traffic.

It is time residents took back control of their neighbourhoods and not faceless officials in the Council decide what they want.

It seems to have got worse since the continuing reorganisation when experienced Officers have been pushed out for less experienced and cheaper staff.

If you don't react don't complain.

spider69 Wrote:

> craigyboy71 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Oh well.... I'll prepare myself for the HGVs

> and

> > the demolition work!

>

>

> Has anybody noticed just how traffic monitor

> strips have appeared on roads across the borough?

>

> Southwark will keep on going this until they get

> the right numbers to push through traffic and road

> controls.

>

> Since Camberwell Grove has been closed surrounding

> streets have these across the road. Traffic will

> of course get greater, more ammuntion for their

> cause to close roads to traffic.

>

> It is time residents took back control of their

> neighbourhoods and not faceless officials in the

> Council decide what they want.

>

> It seems to have got worse since the continuing

> reorganisation when experienced Officers have been

> pushed out for less experienced and cheaper

> staff.

>

> If you don't react don't complain.

I think you'll find I did "react". In relation to this particular planning application myself and a number of other local residents raised the issue of the increased traffic caused by the proposed building works along with a number of other salient points regarding the new build to the Council... the first application was knocked back, so I guess we achieved something!

It won't be too much longer before we have parking controls in ED... as someone who struggles to find a parking space on my street I am in favour of this measure.

Hi spider69,

Traffic counts occur at regular intervals - have done for what must now be decades. They occur in areas with controlled parking and areas without out. So I don't believe they're being done to achieve some nefarious aim. Else why both in the CPZ areas.

The Dulwich Hotel was orignal terraced houses. Reverting it back to terrace house, and delighted we managed to get a better version than originally planned (Cllr Rosie Shimell and I had asked for a councillor call-in of the decision if it proceeded as originally planned), but allowing street parking is the only solution. Broadly each home will be slightly wider than the length of a car.