Gardening Tips for March

David Cheetham

Hi Everyone

Well it seems a lot has been happeing since I logged off last night. Anyway... many thanks for the gardening questions.

Charliecharlie the mobile shed is spot on though the colour options of red devil's offering are appealing. I'm visualising window boxes, trellis up the walls and even a raised decked patio. Yes, decking is back with a vengenace but has made leaps and bounds since it swamped our screens thanks to the delights of garden force.

Speaking of garden force ( I hope you appreciate that subtle link) I was pottering in B&Q today when I noticed that the nation's favourite Alan Titchmarch, is the champion for their 'Let's get gardening' campaign. I swooped in on the literature 'Alan's Top Tips - March' and can now report back that in addition to your existing list of tasks for the month, you can also;

Clean the greenhouse, prepare the soil for your veg and herb beds, freshen up pots contaiing winter/spring bedding and tidy up the rock garden, not forgetting to top up stone chippings.

If this continues, I could become obsolete!!

Steve T very impressed with your container planting ideas - highly ingenious. Please let us all know how they do and watch out for the slugs.

Ruffers, window boxes are great and can really make a difference if you choose the right plants.

With regards then falling off - have you thought of screwing them down on to the window sill or even quicker use a grab adhesive. Before I can recommend plants I need to know how much sunlight the sills get and also how much time you want to spend looking after the window boxes.

Happy gardening!

David Cheetham MSGD

I'm not worried about them falling off, I'm thinking of having plants which hang down from the box down the front of the building. Sorry I wasn't too clear.

Full sun, all day on that front, and I'll water them every day if that helps? Last year at the back of the balcony we grew tomatoes in bags very successfully if that's any indication.

thanks David.

There are a number of trailing plants suitable for window boxes in full sun including the liquorice plant (Helichrysum) that has silver - grey foliage and will trail to form a cascade of foliage. And, don't forget Ivy not everones favourite but there are a number with silver-grey/cream variations.

Verbena and Heuchera will also add variety and structure.

Happy gardening!

David Cheetham MSGD

Hi Sazzle

What you need is a determinate variety of tomato plant these will grow very short but bushy. This type of tomato is ideal for containers and small gardens and anyone who is new to gardening. However, keep in mind that you get one large crop as oppose to on-going crops throughout the season.

Varities include: Sub Artic Plenty, Tumbling Tom Yellow, Maskotka

I hope this helps. If you do an online search you will find a number of seed/plants companines who can supply of take a trip to you local garden centre.

Happy gardening!

David Cheetham MSGD

Have just found a fyler 'Grow your own' - informative, to the point and actually quite useful. So, think super foods this summer (mainly a whole host of berries based on this leaflet) - they are packed with antioxidants and will help to keep our bodies healthy and apparently you can do it in small gardens too!

Yes, fill up those containers and window sills with seed trays and propagators brimming with dwarf varieties of fruit and veg.

Happy Gardening!

David Cheetham MSGD