identifying new posts

mikese22

Hi - I leave my account always logged in so that when I open the homepage threads with new posts are highlighted with a red 'new' that I can click on to take me to the most recent unread post, but quite often all threads show as 'new' taking me back to the very first post on a thread suggesting that my site 'history' has been deleted

I know that this will happen if I clear my browsing history, but it also happens at other times when I haven't cleared the history - does anyone know why?

• Administrator

When someone posts a message in the wrong section e.g "Builder wanted" in the ED Issues/gossip section I have to move it, I think that action sometimes causes an error in the system that makes the "new" not work sometimes, or be reset. So it is not you it is me.

There are about 13,000 registered users and about 430,000 messages, the system that runs the forum has to know which threads are new for each of those users, which individual messages are new to each user and provide a link to the newest message for each post, that is quite a lot of database records. It is so big that we do not want to try and work out what the problem is because we may break it, so unfortunately it is a minor inconvenience that we are stuck with.