Can we discuss slings?

Anyone used them/use them, and what type?

I never really got on with the newborn sling I tried with my twins (twin II loved it but I couldn't get her securelyu in on my own... huggabub or a cooried fleece pouch)

I found the ergo pretty comfy, later on, but when you have twins it's not practical touse a sling that mich (Mr F and I found them very helpful when we flew to Egypt)

Anyone have any comments about different sorts of sling? It always looks so great when you see someone stomping quickly along with a contented little head peeking out and no hassle with a big unwieldy buggy!!

I am also really interested in this. I use a bog standard baby bjorn with my 5 month old daughter. She really likes it but I find it hurts my back after about 45 minutes maximum. I also never got on with the huggabub. I haven't had much success with ones which need to be tied on as I am pretty unco-ordinated and they seem to squish my daughter into me too much for her liking. I like the buckles on the baby bbjorn but more support would be good. Any suggestions?

Surprised that you both had trouble with the Huggabub. We used baby bjorn until baby had good neck stability then it was huggabub on the side from them on. Never used it in the baby lying position but was especially good for feeding when out. Used it until baby No. 2 was about 3 yrs old. Best buy ever.

Until recent clear out/donation to sister I had a silly range of slings - given I rarely am very successful using them!! Had a babasling and babybjorn for when baby was little - used the babsling alot round the house for sleeping. Hated babybjorn. Graduated to Ergo and a mei tai sling - failed to use them both really as a) baby snowboarder started taking all his naps in lovely comfy pram and at least I could walk then park him somewhere that way, and b) never got round the how to carry all your stuff problem.

Have now bought a babyhawk Oh Snap in funky camo print as celebration of better sleep/birthday pressie for me(!) and hoping to use more now that not dependent on buggy sleep. We will see....

(Oh yes - also have a proper bushbaby back pack thingy for country walks (ahem). Lets just say it needs breaking in.)

Please don't laugh....

Only got the Oh Snap last week so not test driven yet BUT in comparison to the ergo - my first thoughts are - it is a bit sturdier, and I think will be better for carrying baby on front as the straps criss cross over your back - I found the ergo pulled on my shoulders a bit. But - no hood, and comes up higher at the back - potentially could swamp a 5 month old! You are welcome to pop over and have a look/go....

Ergo and Oh Snap etc (connecta/beko etc) all adopt a v different position to the babybjorn in that bubs sits astride you rather than just hanging there...

I loved my Huggabub - used it from when my 2nd child was newborn till she was around 7 or 8 months and found it extremely comfortable. Really good for keeping my hands free to be able to deal with my toddler while my baby was content. She was quite a fractious baby for the first few months and the sling was a sure fire way to calm her down and get her to sleep.

We then moved to a Patapum (similar design to an Ergo) which I used to back carry my daughter. Once again really comfortable, and she loved it. We've just used it for the last time for our recent trip to NZ, so I'll be washing it (once I have a functioning kitchen with appliances!) and selling it on if anyone is interested.

I struggled through with a Baby Bjorn with my first child, having done no research on what else is available - even though he was tiny I only used it for a few months as it really hurt my back, shoulders and neck. I wish I'd done more research as loved using a sling with my 2nd child.

My daughter hated any kind of "foetal position" / snuggly sling from day one - seemed to feel squeezed. We got a Baby Bjorn (the expensive one with maximum lumbar support which I think was really worth it - they are strong so you can probably get very good ones second hand) when she was 7 weeks and it was great until she grew out of it somewhere between 6 and 10 months of age, don't remember. With a Baby Bjorn you have to be sure the position of the shoulder and lumbar straps is perfect (get it fitted in a shop or look it up online) or you'll get all kinds of aches when your baby is bigger.

This is quite a good starter website...http://www.slingguide.co.uk/

If you want hardcore sling sites let me know and I'll post those too. I am a bit of a sling geek, Babybjorn type slings aren;t that good for either babies or parents' postures [generally]. The stretchy wraps are considered best for both for small babies, then there are a mixture of fabulous slings for the rest, folk seem to get on well with the Babyhawk Mei Tai type of slings and for a structured easy to get in and out of 'on the go' type sling then folk seem to get on well with the Ergo/Patapum/Manduca/Connecta carriers.

Hope that helps.

Ooops...correction. It was a bubasling that we used so successfully for so long. Really loved this sling. I had heard that Babybjorn was not suitable for very young children for long periods of time because of the pressure they put on the developing spine but a quick internet search has found that this is not based on any valid research.

I started with a Bjorn that I borrowed from a friend, so great value! :) I thought it was fine for about up to an hour. You definitely need to have it adjusted properly with the diamond joint in the right spot between your shoulder blades for maximum comfort.

My son grew rather quickly, however so I got an Ergo on a recommendation from a friend and because they can go up to 40lbs. It took a little while to get used to it after the Bjorn, but now I love it - particularly the fact that you can wear it on front, back, or side. I tend to wear him in the front when going out and on the back or side around the house, depending on the chore. He almost undoubtedly falls asleep when my husband or I wear him on our back. I have also breastfed him when wearing him on the front. Only annoying thing is that you can't really wear a bag with it as it slides off your shoulder. When out and about a snug fitting backpack does the trick while wearing him on my front. About to see how the coordinating backpack works!

-A

Thanks for this great thread.

Deciding on the right sling for the new bubba has been on my 'to do' list. Our Bjorn was fine for a v small baby (and I managed to breastfeed our daughter while she was in it while walking dog in park, for which I thought I was very clever), but I used to get shoulder ache. I think it's better for Dads who can carry more weight through their shoulders.

I am still a bit confused, but I think I am going to try the Ergo one - if anyone cares to sell theirs to me, please PM.

I loved the Hugabub and have since loaned it to a friend who equally loves it and hasn't used her pram once! From about 4 months I used a SleepyNico but have since had to stop wearing my son (now 15 months) because I got horrendous backache and blocked milk ducts (where it felt like I had flu for two days...) - which apparently can happen with strap style slings.

My friend currently organises the South London sling meets which meet regularly so you can always go along and try different types of slings on before you buy:

http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/

littleEDfamily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am still a bit confused, but I think I am going

> to try the Ergo one - if anyone cares to sell

> theirs to me, please PM.

Pickle said she is selling her patapum..

Well if the 'interest' turns into a baby I have some stretchy wraps you are welcome to try out for free...B)

H

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pickle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fuschia, something you're not telling us?! ;-)

>

> Let's just say I have a renewed interest! Early

> days, and all that....

Hi Fuschia -

Are congratulations in order?!!

I am totally obsessed with slings and have about 17 different types. I've carried both my kids constantly and in fact very sadly have just invested in a second-hand bugaboo for my 1 year old in anticipation of our new nanny starting next week...

Baby Bjorns are not great for baby's posture apparently, although many babies don't seem to mind them. In my experience, the best for newborns is a stretchy wrap - or a gauze wrap if it's summer. I use a mei tai now for my 1 year old but might get a structured carrier soon. But my all-time favourite sling is a kangaroo korner stretchy fleece pouch - I use these all the time, they are great for newborns but also for hip carries with older babies.

I'm also happy to let you borrow some slings if that would help?