Trains cancellations - latest

As an aside, but a relevant one in that it is about a form of public transport that hasn't caught on in the UK very much, here's an article I found after I had read about a new "super bus" system in Hanoi: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/aug/27/buses-future-of-urban-transport-brt-bus-rapid-transit

Could it catch on here, in London, and especially our part of it?

Nigello - the problem is that London is a very old city with narrow streets. Even with dedicated bus lanes (which we already have to some degree) it's always going to be a slow service.

I did chuckle about the "Londoners, blessed with the world?s pre-eminent public transit system" line. Compared to where??

Just a note to anyone who uses North Dulwich. It's been silent for about a year with no automated announcements. Someone seems to have switched them back on in the last week.

And they announce that passengers should change at London Bridge for Blackfriars/Cannon Street.

Blackfriars/Cannon Street trains are not stopping at London Bridge until 2018...

The man at N Dulwich today was useless: had no idea when the next train was, how many an hour, how long they take. He just pointed at the far corner and said "there's a timetable there". I told him I was not impressed that he did not know the answer to three basic questions.

Jennys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is a wonderful member of staff at Denmark

> Hill who makes all kinds of helpful announcements.

> What a pity the East Dulwich guy is hopeless.

there is one at ED white hair guy, he is just awful, the way he treats people like.... I mean how do those people even get a job... but then again its Southern, by far the worst train staff i've ever seen, they know nothing and they are never helpful. Its alright, not a lot of people like their jobs but at least we are trying to pretend we like it and we treat others with respect.

What baffled me yesterday when I was in London Bridge, was the lack of information... They had like 2 trains to ED cancelled in a row without saying anything and without mentioning "it might be an hour until the next train is here so go take a tube or something". They make you wait and just cancel on the spot.

• 3 weeks later...

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Apparently there is a strike today.

8:30 to London bridge was packed, and those god damn stupid trains have nothing to hang on from when standing.

I've just been notified that I will receive ?107 compensation for last year's strikes. I have an annual ticket, I applied independently on the Southern site. My ticket was an annual oyster gold card, and so Southern didn't contact me directly to say I was eligible.

I'd recommend doing the same.

JW Wrote:

> I've just been notified that I will receive ?107

> compensation for last year's strikes. I have an

> annual ticket, I applied independently on the

> Southern site. My ticket was an annual oyster gold

> card, and so Southern didn't contact me directly

> to say I was eligible.

>

> I'd recommend doing the same.

Did that work out as 1 months compensation? Seems a little low

Bumpkin Wrote:

> Unfortunately I bought my annual season ticket at

> L Bridge so it's Southeastern, anyone know if I'd

> stand a chance of getting a refund from Southern

> given I live in ED and mainly use the Southern

> trains?...

You'll most likely get it. They don't care about giving away money, given the compensation scheme is Gov's money aka our tax money.

So pretty much Dirty Gov gives a shitty train Company tax money to throw away on compensating us while they keep profiting. Amazing system ye?

So what is the official timetable now? It appears that the morning trains run roughly 5 an hour in peak times, are irregularly spaced and now take 20 minutes to get to London Bridge. Is this correct? Now that the LB works are largely finished is there any chance of getting back to 6 trains every 10 minutes taking 12 to get to the station? After years of disruption it would be good if we could at least see a service that isn't worse than what we had prior to the rennovations starting. Perhaps even some improvements? Is this crazy talk?

It's as you say but trains should be running a little under 20 mins. I think it's a stretch to say the LB works are largely finished, they have a way to go still and so only fair to judge once all is complete.

The situation now is generally back to normal. I have not experienced or seen a cancellation in weeks. Being a couple mins late here or there still happens but that's not unusual for peak whatever line your on.

cerv Wrote:

> It's as you say but trains should be running a

> little under 20 mins. I think it's a stretch to

> say the LB works are largely finished, they have a

> way to go still and so only fair to judge once all

> is complete.

>

> The situation now is generally back to normal. I

> have not experienced or seen a cancellation in

> weeks. Being a couple mins late here or there

> still happens but that's not unusual for peak

> whatever line your on.

You misunderstood what the guy above was saying, but maybe you new to ED.

Prior to LB upgrade trains were more often. E.g there was an 8.00 to LB then an 8.10 8.20 etc. They've cut it down a lot and the service is much less than the one they had originally signed off with the Gov.

The works in LB are close to complication. I don't see anymore works affecting our schedule, no more lines added and the platforms are done.

Instead of returning to the old timetable which had a train every 10 minutes on peak times and then every 15 if I am correct we kept the amended schedule that was in place after the works started.

So in fact we are getting a reduced timeline and trains are slower than what they were before getting into LB.

Yep, we're currently on the reduced timetable that was introduced due to works at LB.

I understand that the Thameslink platforms won't reopen until next year.. whether this (and other ongoing construction) has any bearing on our service, I don't know. But I strongly suspect that we're being shafted, and the reduction is permanent.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yep, we're currently on the reduced timetable that

> was introduced due to works at LB.

>

> I understand that the Thameslink platforms won't

> reopen until next year.. whether this (and other

> ongoing construction) has any bearing on our

> service, I don't know. But I strongly suspect that

> we're being shafted, and the reduction is

> permanent.

Yeah, that was my worry. Got a terrible feeling that after all the disruption we're going to end up with a permanently reduced service.

• 3 months later...