Police training exercise?

Katie-Ella

Hi, did anyone see the police on "riot training" last night? I live close to the police station and could hear some commotion outside at around 2 (I think) in the morning, so sent the husband to look out the window.

Apparently there were about 25-30 policemen in full riot gear outside the police station, also two vans and an ambulance. Most of the noise was coming from the ambulance driver who was "nattering" at the top of her voice. The husband also spotted a senior officer (wearing a cap, dead giveaway) and a couple of plainclothes policemen who has radios strapped to their chests (also a giveaway). They had one of those battering-rams you see on TV breaking into gun-dealers homes and even had some "dog-catching" gear i.e. loops on long sticks.

Husband said "Hmmm, I hope they aren't coming in here...."

Despite the excitement, I didn't bother to get out of bed but according to husband "they then all lined up like schoolchildren in a long crocodile formation and trotted down Whateley Road with all their gear".

I've been scanning the forum but no one has mentioned it. Was it a dream??

Katie-Ella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, did anyone see the police on "riot training"

> last night? I live close to the police station and

> could hear some commotion outside at around 2 (I

> think) in the morning, so sent the husband to look

> out the window.

>

> Apparently there were about 25-30 policemen in

> full riot gear outside the police station, also

> two vans and an ambulance. Most of the noise was

> coming from the ambulance driver who was

> "nattering" at the top of her voice. The husband

> also spotted a senior officer (wearing a cap, dead

> giveaway) and a couple of plainclothes policemen

> who has radios strapped to their chests (also a

> giveaway). They had one of those battering-rams

> you see on TV breaking into gun-dealers homes and

> even had some "dog-catching" gear i.e. loops on

> long sticks.

>

> Husband said "Hmmm, I hope they aren't coming in

> here...."

>

> Despite the excitement, I didn't bother to get out

> of bed but according to husband "they then all

> lined up like schoolchildren in a long crocodile

> formation and trotted down Whateley Road with all

> their gear".

>

> I've been scanning the forum but no one has

> mentioned it. Was it a dream??

Wait for this Katie-Ella. It was posted on our company intranet (Southwark Council) last month!

Volunteer to take part in an emergency exercise

The council provides a range of services in a rest centre to care for those displaced by an emergency.

This includes the basic requirements of shelter, food and sleeping arrangements as well as responding to particular individual and social needs.

Exercise Booth

This has been organised to test the arrangements we have in place, ensuring it is well managed and supported.

The exercise takes place at the William Booth College on Denmark Hill, Wednesday August 8 between 10am and 3pm.

Volunteers!

To make the exercise as realistic as possible, we need volunteers to play displaced residents.

You will be given a specific role profile to play, such as a resident who is elderly and frail, somebody who has specific medical requirements or someone who does not speak much English.

We need 30 to 40 volunteers so please contact us, and as an extra incentive we will provide lunch on the day!

I for one will be attending and displaying my (limited) acting skills :))

Android17 - so the police are practising rounding up displaced residents? O-kay....maybe the loops on long sticks aren't for dog-catching then. Maybe they are for uncooperative ED residents who have been displaced by termites (or something).

Separate events I reckon. Emergency testing is becoming more common to ensure that systems work smoothly. As so much went wrong in the recent floodings in the Midlands & North councils are trying to ensure they have plans in place to cope with floods, tornados, natural disasters, chemical/biological weapon attacks at some point.