am i being neurotic?

I don't agree that dogs should be kept on leash in the park - I don't own a dog, but surely the park and common should be places where dogs can run around and enjoy themselves? Of course, their owners need to respect dog-free areas and leash areas as well.

as i said in my post i really don't want to scaremonger. absolutely not. And I too was greatly reassured bu buggies helpful post. I have posted about my encounter elsewhere on the forum (http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,409093,412726#msg-412726) and to be honest, when i read salia's post, I would have felt guilty if i hadn't mentioned what had happened to me. Espically as i had brought it up elsewhere on the forum. Hence my post. As per my previous post on monty's thread, basically what I'm looking for is some advice about how to manage what do do when a questionable dog approaches your child. I really love dogs and want my kids to enjoy them too

On the wider issue of neuroses, I have found that along with becoming a mum I have developed certain paranoia's that I simply did not have before. My particular fear is speeding cars, I have lost count of the times that I have walked along a pavement feeling horrified at the speed of cars coming towards me and thinking about what would happen if the car flipped or mounted the pavement.

Having both a dog and baby, I also don't think it would be acceptable to curtail the activities of the (largely) responsible dog owners because of the irresponsible behaviour of a few. Yes, dogs can be dangerous but none of us can expect to rewrite social conventions/behaviours to accomodate our own fears.

I appreciate I had a chance to explain what happened in my case and am glad you raised this issue Saila. Thanks all for your concerns, my daughter is fine now.

As a parent I don't induce fear in her when we're around dogs but will continue to be cautious and keep a watchful eye on her as any parent would with their young baby.

siobhan, the best thing to do when a dog approaches you is to stand still and keep quiet. They can be excited by running and shrieks - some dogs do have a chase instinct, so though it is counter-intuitive, try and keep calm.

Also, don't look at an aggressive dog straight in the eyes as that can be interpreted as a challenge. But please bear in mind that most dogs are just inquisitive (or greedy) and won't do you or your children any harm.

I have no advice on how to dibilitate an attacking dog, but can responsd to the OP'a question - "am I being neurotic?" I can remember often visualising falling down the stairs while holding my first baby...I thing I never worried about before - I think its a normal to have these thoughts and work through them with a first child as the enormity of your love for your baby and the amount these helpless little bundles depend on you dawns on you. Its part of the "life recalibration period"

Does that make any sense or do I sound like a nutter?

Sounds very reasonable to me gwod. I've really taken against our previously much loved cat since I pupped. Just look at it think and "germs on four legs". Also have nightmares about her settling down for the night on the baby's face - Poor Jenny. Salia, if you are neurotic then you're not on your own!

Gwod makes a very sensible observation. We do become 'hyper anxious' when we become parents for the first time. Those anxieties have long passed in my case but have been replaced by a comprehensive list of others when my children have grown older.

I suspect the OP's worries stem from situations where you feel you have no control; caring for babies is a fairly full on job and takes over the lives of even the most laid back parents.

As others have said, it is very rare for dogs to attack young children. Staffies for example are extremely affectionate dogs with the right owners. If ever, it is other dogs who are at risk from 'bull' type breeds.

Dogs can be an unbelievably welcome addition to a family; we've owned one since our children started school. Ours is a Spaniel but I wouldn't hesitate to own a 'Staffie' in the future. I believe all dogs are safe in the right environment and I can understand concerns about 'Bull type owners' but all the ones I've encountered locally have always acted responsibly.