Potty training - any top tips?

We did stickers, choc. buttons, "special seat", "special pants", special towels special step stool special bathroom soap money! blah blah blah and the kid just wasn't into it. At all. When he started pre-school at 3 yrs we were nervous about sending him in nappies but his fab teachers were not at all worried and let it run it's course. One day my son came home and said "Oscar pooed". That's all. Never found out how the drama unfolded, but two days later ours said "I want my tractor pants!" and that was that.

I spend a year (off and on) and knocked myself out trying to train him. But Oscar's poo was the trick. You really have to laugh!

After starting this thread it was clear that my little bot was nowhere near ready, so we hae shelved it for the time being, but I was very grateful for all the top tips on here and wil be using them in the future as and when we do get going!

Thanks Pickle, that gives me some hope!

Incidently, I'm thinking that I might go stir crazy cooped up at home, scared to venture very far when we start in a couple of weeks time, so if anyone wants to join forces, or has a kid who can show mine how to use a potty and show off her big girl pants (she's never seen anyone use one), I'd love to hear from you! Nappies off Friday 6th August!

The Nappy Lady - we have ours out already (youngest is 19 months now)

Thanks Molly. Our daughter is 18 months and we were wondering about introducing a potty just casually, for instance during her bare-bottom time each day. She is getting more aware of when she does a poo, telling us her nappy needs changing etc. Also when she has a bare-bottom she sometimes does a wee and I tell her 'yes, that's what Mummy does on the toilet' then wipe her bottom with toilet roll and get her to wash her hands. I wouldn't think of potty training for a year or so, but am definately thinking of starting a gentle introduction.

I think having the potty around just gives them the opportunity to sit on it if they feel so inclined, our little one always sits on it now before getting in the bath, then stands up, peers in it, shakes her head and says 'No'! Very funny and cute, but I'm sure that sooner or later she will actually do a wee in it, and when she does we can make a big fuss of her, which will encourage her to do it again.

It is helpful in catching the transition from not being ready to ready to train, which really can happen overnight.

I do find the majority of cloth bottomed babies train between 2 and 2.5 years and that a lot of 'posie wearing babies take a little longer, evidence suggests it is down to not feeling the wetness in a disposable nappy, so not making the necessary connections as quickly. If you want to speed the process up (and I know not everyone is bothered) then you can always pop a folded flannel into a disposable nappy, which will do exactly the same thing, but only when they are physically able of course.

Molly

Hello all potty trainers and those with younger babies -- my story may help some -- I used cloth nappies and began sitting my boy on a potty around age one. I would read stories to him whilst he would sit there and occasionally he would happen to pee there and I would calmly point out that he'd done a 'pee pee' and he would peer in and seem interested. I did this every so often and left the potty 'around' so that it was familiar to him and a fun place to be [ie he reads books with Mummy there kinda thing].

When the warmer weather began this year, I left him naked waist down, especially when outdoors, which made him so much more aware of what happened down there!! I would get used to when he was 'due' a pee and over time began to know when to sit him on the potty to catch the opportunity, oh and would make sure he drank lots. I tended to do this more when I had the time and energy to do so. Not regimented or 'full-on' in any way -- infact the whole thing was very relaxed. I guess I consciously made sure pees and poos and loos etc were always positive things [ie wouldn't ever comment on bad smells, or pull funny faces when changing nappies, even when they did really stink!! as I think they can pick up on our negativity towards it and then fear it or avoid it when potty training perhaps, I don't know]??

To cut a long story short he is dry night and day now at 21 months, with very occasional accidents [once a week?]. When we're out when he needs 'to go' he says to the nearest adult 'pee pee' and we take him to the nearest loo/potty/tree and he's fine with that. I actually wonder that the younger you do it the easier it is -- ie they are perhaps more pliable than when they're two onwards plus they are with you alot more pre-two. They become so much more independent post two giving you less control over their pee-ing and poo-ing as they are off playing somewhere.

I'm no expert on this so my ideas may be completely off kilter nor have I done any reading up on it all but it did surprise me that this wee boy took to it early and easily. However, if anyone wants to know more about how we did it do feel free to pm me for further tips if interested in starting younger with your baby. I would recommend at least trying it -- it is also so much easier with much less washing now plus cheaper on cash flow situation and the environment.

Bottom line though [pun intended] is that all babies are so different -- guess there's no telling what will happen, each baby to their own way I suppose...they maybe know when they are ready, some do it earlier, some later, c'est la vie...:-S