Living in Barcelona

We have only been to Barcelona on holiday but lucky you for getting to live there. I would recommend you check the Just Landed website for some general info and hopefully someone else can help you with the area for housing www.justlanded.com/english/Spain

i'm a pretty frequent visitor to barcelona but only really know the relatively central parts of town

i guess where you'll be working (if you are working) will play a big part in where's best to live but if it was me i'd try to live close to el born/barceloneta - there aren't many large parks in the centre of town and these areas would put you close to both the parc de la ciutdella (where there's plenty to do) and to the beach

I would recommend Sitges, a very beautiful beach resort, very arty, just outside Barcelona. It's very quick into central Barcelona by the very frequent trains, it's no different from say, living in East Dulwich and travelling into central London. In fact probably quicker.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Isn't Sitges a gay resort? I might be wrong and it

> might not matter but I thought it was.

Sitges is rather like a smaller, prettier Brighton with fantastic beaches. It's very arty and cultural and like Brighton, it has a thriving gay community and festivals. It's a wonderful place for people of all orientations and is a lovely place for families. I used to work in central Barcelona teaching in the mornings and would hop down to Sitges in the afternoons. It's a welcome relief from the heat of the city centre, it's laid back and interesting. The water is also somewhere I'd be prepared to swim (unlike the city centre beaches)

I lived in Barcelona (about, ahem, 15 years ago) as a student. So my knowledge is pretty out of date, but I will always adore the city after such an amazing year there. I agree with pk that Barceloneta/El Born are very nice central areas with a big park nearby. However they are still very central, and near the barrio gotico where I lived, which was great as a student, but quite rough around the edges! I would have thought there are pockets of the Eixample, the sprawling grid area that is just the other side of the Plaza Cataluna (from the old quarter/Ramblas) that are nice to live. All flats though, probably not a lot of green space. I also like the area of Gracia which is (used to be?) quite arty, with good cinemas etc, and it's near the famous Parc Guell - so you have some quality outside space on your doorstep. Quite steep round there with a buggy though! Sitges definitely a good option if you'd rather be a step away from the city - I think it only takes 20mins on the train to Plaza Cataluna.

Good luck!

I would recommend Gracia - close to the centre but with a distinct identity, nice shops, restaurants etc. We have friends there with young kids who we visit regularly and it seems to be a popular place for families. I suspect it's quite pricey for accommodation by local standards, though.

My cousin runs the English Language magazine in barcelona - Barcelona Metropolitan - I think its a good source of info about flats etc. and has a website http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com/ which might be worth checking out.

Sitges is great - highly recommend - and as others have said its an easy commute to barcelona. Though barcelona itself is such a fantastic city - you should consider living centrally so you can get as much out of your time there as possible. I reckon Sitges is probably a good option if you have children and amazing to be able to wander down the beach every evening - but I think it is quite expensive for housing compaired to lots of parts of Barcelona.

Anyway - check out the Metropolitan - hopefully will be useful for you!