"Charity" collection

I make sure I only give genuinely nice stuff to the charity shops. It is not their job to sort through all my old tatt for me.

Clothing that is worn, has buttons missing, and underwear etc goes in the big collection banks in Sainsburys carpark or in one of these dubious door to door collection bags. They can sort through that lot if they like and try and find something useable. I imagine they sell the worst of it for rags.

When I said disposed of - and yes most of it is - I meant sent away to other shops around the country. You have to realise the demographic of where these shops are. I gave away an awful load of old crap (wearable crap..) to the street collection thingy, because I knew it would be sent away, or 'ragged' if I took it to the shop. Basically unless it's exceptional, or designer, it won't be put out on display. (Also, it's a tiny shop and there's no room!!)

tallulah71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Basically unless it's exceptional, or designer, it

> won't be put out on display. (Also, it's a tiny

> shop and there's no room!!)

xxxxxxxx

That's not true, surely.

The Mind shop in ED sells stuff from places like Primark, and most of what they have on display is neither designer nor exceptional - in my opinion anyway :)

You will be surprised what people send in though. I've sorted through huge bags containing stained pants, bras, and old net curtains, odd shoes with no heels...you name it. Lots of stuff is great too. There is also a huge amount of BNWT unworn, expensive gear - clearly people around here have more money than sense.

As sofiasofa and Dorothy point out - charity is not a place for unwanted tatt. There are things called bins for that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• I suspect many people who were not put off by Corbyn and/or are put off by Starmer will vote Green this  time. I could write a great deal about Starmer, but if I do this thread will get lounged 🤣
    • Stephen helped us completely renovate our, then, very delapidated, end of terrace, 1930’s house that we had bought close to Peckham Rye park. This also included remdelling the ground floor, a loft extension and garden redesign and landscaping. Stephen has supported us right from the beginning through design, tendering and the project management of all of the works.   Stephen is very easy to work with, punctual and a good communicator who combines design flair with meticulous attention to detail and cost control. He is was as happy helping us realise our own ideas as providing his own. He also had a lovely way of gently steering us clear when we come up with interesting but impractical propositions. Having never employed an architect before it was also a great relief to be provided with all the details of Stephen’s fees up front.   Stephen came up with a very interestingly shaped, rear and side, ground floor extension that has provided us with a spacious, light flooded, kitchen lounge, a utility room and a ground floor bathroom. He also found ways of greatly expanding and increasing the use we could make of our loft space. This now incorporates a large bedroom, bathroom, extra storage space in the eaves and fold out balconies with views across Peckham Rye park to the Shard.   Given its dilapidated state the house needed new everything. Stephen guided us in upgrading the existing building to modern standards. This included: externally insulating the solid brick exterior walls; insulating the ground floor, floors; and  switching from a gas boiler to a green energy efficient electric Air Source Heat Pump backed up by roof mounted PV solar cells.   Whilst, in the past, we had ourselves renovated our previous houses we realised that the complexity of our new project was a major step change. So, we also employed Stephen to project manage everything from beginning to end. This was invaluable as project management turned out to be a major undertaking. Stephen: kept track of what had and had not been done; checked on the quality; clarified and challenged builder’s invoices; and redesigned and re-specified as our ideas changed or new structural problems were unearthed.  Stephen’s calm, meticulous attention to detail meant we always knew what was happening, what needed to be done and that Stephen would ensure any problems that arose would be sorted. He always went the extra mile.   Given our experience we would thoroughly recommend Stephen to anyone.
    • Both Dulwich Hill and Goose Green wards are in the new constituency.
    • Protest vote is a bit prisoners dilemma. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In