Should pregnant people pay a premium for travelcards?

jrussel

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Knock knock!

>

> Who's there?

>

> Jack!

>

> Jack who?

>

> Jack Russell.

>

> Oh, are you the same Jack Russell who is advancing

> the peculiar notion about surcharging pregnant

> women on public transport?

>

> Yes.

>

> In that case I'm not letting you in. Actually,

> consider yourself ignored.

You are not very good at this ignoring lark, HonalochieB!

jrussel Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Knock knock!

> >

> > Who's there?

> >

> > Jack!

> >

> > Jack who?

> >

> > Jack Russell.

> >

> > Oh, are you the same Jack Russell who is

> advancing

> > the peculiar notion about surcharging pregnant

> > women on public transport?

> >

> > Yes.

> >

> > In that case I'm not letting you in. Actually,

> > consider yourself ignored.

>

>

> You are not very good at this ignoring lark,

> HonalochieB!

JRussell, a Roman Catholic priest and a Rabbi go into a bar. The priest orders them a large whiskey each of the Catholic variety.

The priest, 'Here's to my sister's youngest who last week, thank God gave birth to a healthy baby boy'.

JRussell, 'Recently pregnant, eh? And while she was, did she travel on public transport?

Priest, 'Well she lives in Dublin, so I suppose she must have'.

JRussell, 'Bet she didn't pay extree on the buses, did she'? *throws drink into gentle priest's face and exits bar*

Rabbi 'Oy gevult, Patrick, why you bring this meshuganah to our bar'? Why didn't you just ignore him?

Three points:

1) The OP is talking rubbish and/or trolling.

2) I am more than happy to give up my seat if you need it - in fact, it puts me in a rather good mood with a spring in my step for the rest of the day. However, I am generally in a world of my own or reading the paper. Smile, ask and it shall be yours. Hover looking grumpy and I probably won't notice.

3) I don't buy the 'my child will be looking after you when you get older' stuff either. Your child might equally be burgling my house in 20 years time. Or worse, become an accountant.

Loz Wrote:

> Three points:

>

> 1) The OP is talking rubbish and/or trolling.

I couldn't possbly say.

>

> 2) I am more than happy to give up my seat if you

> need it - in fact, it puts me in a rather good

> mood with a spring in my step for the rest of the

> day. However, I am generally in a world of my own

> or reading the paper. Smile, ask and it shall be

> yours. Hover looking grumpy and I probably won't

> notice.

I'm guessing that most people won't actually smile and ask anyone to give up a seat, they will probably rely on the seated making a judgement concerning their relative age, infirmity or obvious, ahem, 'delicate condition.

Why wouldn't hovering and looking grumpy get your attention?

It'd get mine.

>

> 3) I don't buy the 'my child will be looking after

> you when you get older' stuff either. Your child

> might equally be burgling my house in 20 years

> time. Or worse, become an accountant.

You calling my boy a burglar? Are you?

Actually in twenty years time he'll be just a few years younger than me, and if my back's anything to go by, burglary will be out of the question.

As for accountancy, he's no good at ciphering and his timesing-up of numbers is disgraceful.

Takes him thirty seconds to reckon up seven sixes.

Just have to hope he sticks with the professional skateboarding and never runs out of Vans.

Edited: Because you're worth it.

Ok - I was ignoring the reposte about 'looking after you in old age' but three have referred to it now. It's a silly old cliche that 'people' say, hence the 'blah, etc, blah' - NOT something I personally believe in. Nor do I believe in sireing children for body parts..

End of tangent - now about the tr*ll...

ImpetuousVrouw Wrote:

> Many people get pregnant because they don't know

> how to use their contraception properly or the

> contraception doesn't always work, or for a vast

> array of other reasons.

This is true. I seem to be about 4 months gone from pies.

Quids, this one is for you then, x.

The trouble with jrussel's argument from a purely logical perspective is that the solution he proposes will not, I think, give him what he wants. If pregnant women have to pay extra for their tickets, then they will naturally demand a seat. Not only the ones with the obvious bumps (4-5 months+ pregnant) and not only the assertive ones, but all of them and for all 9 months of their pregnancy. No more lurking at back, less-crowded carriages either, they will all be marching to the front carriages and sitting down. In effect, a commuter first class would have been recreated. So instead of having to give up his seat occasionally I imagine he might have to give up his seat every day, excluded from the, forgive me, Club Class.

What I think he really wants is the courage to deny a pregnant woman a seat. My advice to him is that he either accepts that there is a vestige of humanity and kindness marring the awful purity of his solipsistic soul and stands up with grace, or else looks the pregnant woman in the eye, tells her it's a lifestyle choice and goes on reading his paper. Jrussel, only you can save yourself. Stand up, or grow a pair.

SteveT Wrote:

> good manners as females were considered to be frailer than men.

On a serious note (not that thread like this should really be given credence) was this really what you were taught or felt it was all about? If that was the case and I was a woman you could keep your, metaphorical, seat.

I had a very traditional and conservative upbringing and education of the sort that probably hasn?t been seen on these islands since before the war. For all its faults (of which there were many) one thing I can say is that decency and respect for one another was drummed into us on a daily basis and being respectful to women was definitely not because they were seen as weaker than you. Pretty much the contrary in fact.

If however you don?t want to be bothered by the general rabble of society, pregnant women, the elderly, people with children and pets, bicycles suitcases etc. You can always just get yourself a first class ticket or take a taxi. Or stay at home.

Jrussel, only you can save yourself. Stand up, or grow a pair.

Loving your work m'lady!

Come on though, does anyone here actually think jrussel is serious? He may have a gripe about this, but he has clearly posted on here because he enjoys the occasional bit of trolling.

You should have put this in the Family Room jrussel, you'd have really gotten off on the responses you'd have got there.

So what happens when the pregnant woman who's fallen over on the bus because she was standing having not been able to find a seat when the bus braked suddenly and injured her baby / caused a miscarriage ?

You think you have a 'right' to disregard the need of others in greater need than ourselves just to satisfy your own belligerent reasons ?

Why even start a thread like this.

Get a life mate.

Moos Wrote:

> Quids, this one is for you then, x.

>

> The trouble with jrussel's argument from a purely

> logical perspective is that the solution he

> proposes will not, I think, give him what he

> wants. If pregnant women have to pay extra for

> their tickets, then they will naturally demand a

> seat. Not only the ones with the obvious bumps

> (4-5 months+ pregnant) and not only the assertive

> ones, but all of them and for all 9 months of

> their pregnancy. No more lurking at back,

> less-crowded carriages either, they will all be

> marching to the front carriages and sitting down.

> In effect, a commuter first class would have been

> recreated. So instead of having to give up his

> seat occasionally I imagine he might have to give

> up his seat every day, excluded from the, forgive

> me, Club Class.

>

> What I think he really wants is the courage to

> deny a pregnant woman a seat. My advice to him is

> that he either accepts that there is a vestige of

> humanity and kindness marring the awful purity of

> his solipsistic soul and stands up with grace, or

> else looks the pregnant woman in the eye, tells

> her it's a lifestyle choice and goes on reading

> his paper. Jrussel, only you can save yourself.

> Stand up, or grow a pair.

It is unfortunate for you that you challenge my points from a "logical perspective" because I am, in fact a qualified logician.

Regarding your first point - yes, it would likely lead to more pregnant persons demanding a seat, but this will not bother me if I know that they have paid for it. The extra revenue generated can be used to improve public transport for all. Furthermore, I would anticipate that if set high enough, the premium would have a small but measurable deterrent effect on the number of persons having children in general, which would be a desirable outcome from both a societal and environmental point of view.

Regarding your second point in which you advise me to "grow a pair". I think the basic principle here is one of consideration for other human beings. In the context of public transport this means doing what one reasonably can to make sure that one's fellow passengers have a pleasant journey. This includes stuff like not playing music loud;y through low quality headphones that leak sound. It also in my opinion extends to avoiding intimidating behaviour such as that displayed by certain pregnant people. My view is that I should not be expected to be fortified with "courage" on a daily basis simply to defend myself against behaviour that is unjustified in the first place. No-one wants routine confrontation which in any case is a significant contributor to stress related illness which places a heavy financial burden on our oversubscribed National Health Service.

KidKruger Wrote:

> So what happens when the pregnant woman who's

> fallen over on the bus because she was standing

> having not been able to find a seat when the bus

> braked suddenly and injured her baby / caused a

> miscarriage ?

>

Same as any other injury incurred on a bus. Either the driver should be disciplined for dangerous driving, or the pregnant woman should have been holding onto a handrail as per guidelines.

Ah, a change of tack - good move. Your previous post was indeed unworthy of a logician, I too would be moving away from it at speed.

So these aggressive and intimidating pregnant people have now progressed from 'hovering' in an accusatory manner to 'behaving intimidatingly' in a manner that causes you to become ill with stress. What do they do, wave their bellies at you?

But I am glad to hear that your main concern is for consideration for other people, most laudable.

Tsk, H. Fisking at that time of the morning. Have you no shame?

I'm guessing that most people won't actually smile and ask anyone to give up a seat, they will probably rely on the seated making a judgement concerning their relative age, infirmity or obvious, ahem, 'delicate condition.

Why wouldn't hovering and looking grumpy get your attention?

It'd get mine.

Everyone looks grumpy on tube and trains - those standing more so. My GrumpFilter happily blocks them out. This also has a "Fat-or-Preggers?" filter setting which I have ramped up to 11.

Up-the-duff ladies: please ask if you want a seat. I would love to let you have mine.

I had a very traditional and conservative upbringing and education of the sort that probably hasn?t been seen on these islands since before the war. For all its faults (of which there were many) one thing I can say is that decency and respect for one another was drummed into us on a daily basis and being respectful to women was definitely not because they were seen as weaker than you. Pretty much the contrary in fact.

[troll]

I disagree Brendan. Men were expected to give up their seats to women and hold doors open, etc, etc, because at the time, men considered being female to be a disability. Happily, we're more enlightened these days.

[/troll]

If it is practically possible, considering train/crowd/carriage situation, to actually offer my seat, I just make eye contact and say, ?would you like to sit down.?

Fat girls tend not to mind. Most of the time they just say, ?No thanks.?

Very rarely do they come at you with a pointed stick.