Advice needed - after school childcare

My son is starting at St John's and St Clements school in September. We thought he was starting in January but they've just told us they are only doing a single intake this year. I'm now panicking a little on how to manage the logistical nightmare of childcare around school hours as I work 3 days a week. My two sons are currently in nursery for those three days which is obviously a lot more straight forward.

I just wondered if anyone who already has been through this can offer any advice on childcare solutions - there is an after school club at Gumboots but I kind of feel he might be a bit young for that? has anyone else used after school clubs for reception children? did they get on ok? I guess childminder is the other option. I did put a post on here last week in the hope another part time parent with a child starting at the same time might be interested in sharing the after school care but no luck so far. Any pearls of wisdom appreciated!

Thanks

Emma

Will you need morning drop off, after school and holidays? That will be a childminder. Mine used to charge ?20 per day term times, ?35 holidays (she was at the cheaper end of the scale I think) though it can be harder to find a place for an under 5 year old as the ratio of children to adult is the same for a pre-schooler.

There is a list you can get from Southwark, though it's not terribly uptodate re vacancies. There is a childcare link gov webpage that lists all minders (think OFSTED do too) as you are best to call round all those that cover St Johns, whether they list current vacancies or not (many will have vacancies coming up for Sept)

Also if there is a PTA, contact them for advice... you sort of want to clue into the St Johns mummy network.

Other option might be flexible working if you are a two parent family - one of you works 7-3pm and the other 10-6, that sort of thing...

Thanks Fuschia = that's really useful. Flexible hours isn't an option for either of us unfortunately. I think a childminder might be the best option as although my parents would help out as much as they can in the holidays they live in Devon and there is only so much they can do. We have a parents evening next week so I may bring it up then too. Really appreciate your reply - thank you.

Dulwich Mum - I hadn't really considered an au pair but I must admit I'm not hugely keen on the idea of someone living in the house so that puts me off that. Perhaps if i worked full time it would make more sense.

Dear emsiemcb,

I just thought I would suggest an aupair because, well, so many of us are not having babies in our ...er... twenties anymore, and to be honest, I do not enjoy the constant nagging to join them on the trampoline/let me paint your nails/come and build a playhouse up this tree - when I stumble through the door from work. I come in from work and my head is in a completely different place, I just don't have the energy for so many things (quite apart from the fact that I am lazy and self-centred).

I came home last week and my kids had been making a red Indian camp with the clothes airers in the back garden and having a ball with our aupair who is actually old enough to be their big sister really. I just see an aupair as a great fun playmate that takes the stress out of the school run (if you get a good one).

Like you, I wasn't keen on sharing space with an au pair, even if we had the space to share!

My daughter went to after-school club at Heber from reception onwards - she did 3 days a week, though she'd been used to being in full-time daycare from when she was quite small. Many tears at drop-off, but seemed quite satisfied and happy when spied upon and at pick-up; and it does seem to be true that the littler they are, the more care and attention they get from the carers and bigger children. The thing that she's complained most about are the dreaded 'hall games', whatever they are...

My advice would be to try it, but you might be surprised to find how hard it is to get in - demand for good after-school club places is quite high.

I've got my little one down with Gumboots after school club but I'm really struggling with the morning arrangements. I'm trying to persuade my other half to do it but I'm also baffled as to why there isn't a breakfast club at Goodrich. I believe there's on at Heber. Does anyone know whether this idea has been discussed in the past and whether any progress is being made?

Thanks

That's interesting civil servant - glad your little one is mostly enjoying it, that's made me feel better about it so thanks for the reply. I got in touch with Gumboots after school club and they do actually have space (which I was surprised at) so I think I'll get his place reserved anyway at this stage.

Luckily St John's have a breakfast club, a bit of a pain if there isn't one I agree - makes quite a late start to the working day.

Thanks so much for letting me know that Vicki. Do you have any idea who to contact about it and how you can put your child's name down for it? I had contacted the council, the school and gumboots but nobody has offered up much info so far.

Thanks

Trish