Glendale Tree Services

almagray

A card advertising various gardening services from a company claiming to be called GLENDALE TREE SERVICES was delivered to my home in East Dulwich yesterday. In August I had contacted this company at the freephone number they gave to ask them to give me an estimate for cutting down and removing a small shrub in my front garden. Two men arrived within a very short time of my making the call and told me that the cost would be ?500! After a little discussion they reduced it to ?400 and said they could do it immendiately. I realised that this was some kind of a scam and told them I wouldn't be taking up their offer. I subsequently found that the address they gave on their card - 88 Lower Marsh Street - is a 'mail drop shop'.

A few days later I arranged for the shrub to be cut down and removed by another contractor who charged me ?50.

What action should I take against Glendale Tree Services who - whilst they are seemingly doing anything illegal - do seem to be preying on people not familiar with normal tariffs for garden work?

Is this a matter for the police or for Southwark Council?

I would appreciate some advice.

Alma

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would spend your time on something else. As soon

> as they get wind of an investigation they'll

> change their name/address and carry on as before.

> You can't win these things.

It's not a lot of time to make a phone call to the council.

The trading standards people were very helpful once when I contacted them about a product I thought was misleadingly labelled in a local shop (even though after they had investigated it they said it wasn't!)

Yes Glendale may change their name etc, but at least they will have been brought to the attention of trading standards.