The Enemies of Reason, Channel 4, Monday 8pm

Mark

"You have to be a certain 'type' of person to be a Reiki practitioner and a certain 'type' to be a patient. In tune with yourself and your surroundings."

So if you're not Chinese, Japanese, or credulous, it doesn't work?

I'm not convinced.

Reiki's only a hundred years old - it's a bit rich to lay claim to thousands of years of effectiveness.

Drawing parallels with eastern medicine as a definition of merit is a little tenuous, unless you support powdered tiger tonker as a cure for brewer's droop, or bleeding bile from a live bear's gall bladder as a cure for insect bites. Yuck eh?

Mind you, I believe in the power of positive thinking - there's no better faith-based cure around!

God knows where you got all that gumph from...!!! I don't wave a rabbits tail about the room or prescribe powdered sharks fin to my patients.

Positive thinking coupled with the power of an open and receiving mind.....will lead you to other therapies and hopfully out of the G.P.surgey.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No one was talkig about Aromatherapy...

Is Aromatherapy nonsense then? What about Space Clearing? Is Reiki at the top of the alternative medicine tree, weeing on all the others with disdain?

Hehe, absolutely Huguenot.

Apparently some villagers in China have been using dinosaur fossils in their medicine for thousands of years because they are parts of the dragon. Or bits of stone. I suppose a dose of mud with some minerals thrown in won't actually harm you, but just because something's Asian and/or an old practice doesn't lend anything to its legitimacy as a treatment in my eyes one jot.

Having enjoyed a bit of sparring at my door the other day with a Jehova's witness, the one fall back argument he had was that it's an old book.

Riiiiight.

I'm not arrogant enough to dismiss anything out of hand, and for sure there are more things in heaven and earth than ...err .. Horatio Hornblower thought about while having a number two, but I don't appreciate being accused of being closed minded when all I want is a greater burden of proof than 'people have been at it for ages'.

Thuggee in India went on for almost a thousand years, but I still think it's a pretty bad way of appeasing your gods.

But I'm all for positive thinking too.

The herbology stuff's quite interesting - to poo poo 'western' pharmacology is also to poo poo 'eastern' herbology and funky chinese teas. Aspirin is after all derived from willow bark. etc. etc.

Cannabis - pharmacology, herbology or mysticism (never did much for me)?

When I was in my early teens there was a geriatric local vicar who used to lay his and on my head and bless me as a replacement for the sacrament - as I hadn't undergone the necessary rituals for a glass of plonk. Wow, amazing feeling! Nothing ever got me closer to going all religious - isn't that something to do with chakra?

Huguenot wrote: Reiki's only a hundred years old - it's a bit rich to lay claim to thousands of years of effectiveness.

Reiki has been around for centuries actually. It was only made available to the Western world when it was taken from Mount Kurana and Mikao Usui in Japan, over to Hawaii where it was introduced to the minds of westerners by Mrs. Hawayo Takata abck at the turn of the century.