Cats at war (Barry Road backing onto the gardens of houses on Landells Road)

Well I think I read about it somewhere. But its really a question of logic, and works on the same principle as that Lions Poo stuff, namely that cats keep away as they can smell that a bigger nastier animal than them has marked the garden out as their territory and hence keep away! Of course it does mean that my neighbours rarely meet my eye anymore . . . .

Cat owners always claim that cats bury their poo, when non-cat owners have direct evidence to the contrary in their gardens on a regular basis

I am a cat person rather than a dog person by the way, but recognise the crafty nature of the feline terrors

Like most cats, our cat prepares the way by digging an 8cm trench, with slightly sloping sides. Then, after she has carefully curled one down dead-centre, she fills-in the trench before topping with a layer of thin gravel and - finally - a piece of moss to complete the aesthetic camouflage.

Cat owners always claim that cats bury their poo,

Along with VETs and animal scientists, zoo-keepers.......and just about ever one that ever observes animal behaviour in cats. Sure, some might do it better than others but they do attempt to bury it.

And the odour of poo depends entirely on diet so if a lion eats the same as a cat (and both are well) the poo won't smell a heap lot different.

Along with VETs and animal scientists, zoo-keepers.......and just about ever one that ever observes animal behaviour in cats

How wonderful for them, its a shame I can't invite them round to see the "semi-dusted with earth" cat poos that used to litter my garden before I started to wee round the garden.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LOL and I can shoot anyone that makes any kind of

> noise when I'm trying to sleep (including

> babies)......that'll be half my neighbours taken

> care of! ;-)

But you must remember to bury them.

*Bob* Wrote:

> If by 'bury' you mean 'crap wherever they please

> before half-heartedly scuffing three crumbs of

> soil over the top then and sauntering off to be

> made a fuss of somewhere'.. then yes - they bury

> it.

Some effort is better than none...not like birds, who literally poop anywhere and are beyond reproach.

If you have a more than one cat household, the dominant cat tends to only part bury, whereas the junior cats always completely bury. My understanding is that a cat which only part buries in someone's garden is saying "this is my territory".

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> *Bob* Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If by 'bury' you mean 'crap wherever they

> please

> > before half-heartedly scuffing three crumbs of

> > soil over the top then and sauntering off to be

> > made a fuss of somewhere'.. then yes - they

> bury

> > it.

>

> Some effort is better than none...not like birds,

> who literally poop anywhere and are beyond

> reproach.

You mean the birds that the cats don't get

*Bob* Wrote:

> If by 'bury' you mean 'crap wherever they please

> before half-heartedly scuffing three crumbs of

> soil over the top then and sauntering off to be

> made a fuss of somewhere'.. then yes - they bury

> it.

Unless they are doing it indoors in a tray, in which case they will take a herculean amount of time and effort to bury it...and the litter ends up all over the floor.

Our cats always got into fights where we used to live, of course they were innocent and it was all down to the resident bully (Oscar*) who lived a few doors away. Apart from archery practice and significant investment in high tech water pistols, didn't really know what else to do about it.

*name not changed for legal reasons.

Siduhe Wrote:

> If you have a more than one cat household, the

> dominant cat tends to only part bury, whereas the

> junior cats always completely bury. My

> understanding is that a cat which only part buries

> in someone's garden is saying "this is my

> territory".

And for cats that live in houses they bury as the deem the humans to be 'top cat', so to speak. But, once they get into unclaimed turf it is territory marking time.

(I've posted this before, but hey...) I once had a local cat make a permanent lounging area on one of my fence posts. To deter it, I stuck some of those anti-cat pellets to the post. The cat, in order to remark it's territory, crapped on top of the post. I don't have a clue how it managed this without falling off. Had a sneaking respect for the little bugger after that, though not enough to stop me putting the hose on it at every possible opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...