Climate Camp & East Dulwich

ChavWivaLawDegree

I know all you posh East Dulwichers love nothing better than to jet off on exotic holidays, but this week there is a chance to take a break in the UK at very low cost.

You could pop along to the Climate Camp outside Heathrow. It will be an interesting and informative break. There is a programme of talks and workshops, so it's not just about protesting, it's a chance to raise awareness and educate yourselves. Not even East Dulwich will be immune from the effects of Climate Change.

The exact location is on their website www.climatecamp.org.uk and has been splashed all over the telly, so you should have no problem finding it.

The Camp organisers have published a list of workshops and other events taking place throughout the week and full details are on the website, [in PDF format], at www.climatecamp.org.uk/wshops.pdf

Look out for the infamous Chav if there are any pitched battles with the old bill! (Joke, I'll be orf mate, can't be blotting my spotless copy book now can I??!)

Must be more carbon-efficient to educate people via the web and local events, surely?

If climate change is to be reduced, particularly the part that is caused by individual travel, it will probably come from making the alternatives more sexy, affordable (it costs more to go by train to the lake district than fly to Spain) and accessible (it takes about twice as long to go by train to the lake district as it does to fly to Spain).

BM

I was watching this on the news earlier... I recycle and holiday in Britain as much as possible.. I do my bit for the climate (even though I highly doubt Global Warming actually exists, and even if it did I cant see anyone making much difference after 300+ years since the industrial revolution began)...

I'm very happy to see these people, highlighting the issue of climate change by taking time out of their busy schedules, will spend a week shouting through the barbedwire of the perimiter fence of Heathrow.

I hope that the passengers, departing to warmer climes, will feel suitably chastised. Though I don't think there's much chance of hearing the protesting voices over the jet engines.

Power to the people.

I have my own doubts about the effectiveness of the protest but fair play cwald for taking a stand

if the jury is not yet in on climate change then it is surely wrapping up

but even if it were proved beyond a shadow of a doubt some people would still sneer and be damn ed. . I like to travel but have definitely started to say no more often than yes.

Yes, sincerely well done for taking a stand cwald - I'm sorry if my earlier posting sounded cynical - it's just that I was that sad person taking the train to the Lakes for my summer holiday instead of jetting off abroad. But after all the cost and hassle I did wonder if it was really worth it in the end. Still, I know the planet, and my grandchildren, will thank me for it one day.

I'm sure you'll be very successful in raising awareness of the issues, will look out for you on the news!

BM

Please, people, give me a break. Stop banging on about bloody aeroplanes. For every person who mentions air travel in the same breath as global warming (gosh, that is getting as tiring to the ear as 'Spice Girls' was in 1997 or 'Millennium' in 1999/2000) there are scores of other un-green practises. If we all stopped buying stuff we really don't need, stopped nipping out to the corner shop in our car, stopped whacking up the heating when temps plunge to the frozen depths of 65F, stopped wasting food, stopped washing half-loads, stopped filling kettles too full when we only need a little bit of boiled water, stopped leaving our tellies and videos/DVDs on standby, stopped using throwaway bulbs and so on, then the world might be a little bit less warm. Car use, overheated, underinsulated homes, unnecessary purchases, excessive packaging, are bigger eco-demons than air transport. We are using too much energy to produce, package, transport and trash stuff we simply don't need. It is really that simple. Nero

My point exactly. We should all do as much as we can. There is room for a reduction in air travel, or incentivisation to travel across Europe, say, or the continental US on trains, but to focus on air travel at the expense of other, daily eco-crimes is wrong. Nero

To be fair to cwald, one could accuse her of many things but a single issue gal she aint.

i think a lot of issues have awareness campaigns but this particular one hits more media buttons. Although you are better qualified to comment on that

but air travel is in my opinion also getting a high profile because like car usage its proliferation is having not just a negative effect on the wider environment but on the much more local physical level. Living under a flight path was once rare enough to not worry about. Now it affects many more people directly and the realisation is dawning that it cant continue indefinitely. Its early days yet on this one i reckon

I don't know whether CWALD is or isn't a single-issue person. My rant was not at her. Having read her posts, she seems sensible enough to understand there is a bigger picture. The reason the media likes this story is because it involves big, romantic (well, at a pinch) ideas like jet engines, faraway places, the stratosphere, big business, mass action. Much more sexy than badgering Aunty Beryl to use that hemp bag you bought her when she goes shopping for her ready meals. Nero

In the meantime, I really do think that climate change/global warming is this year's thing. It has been bubbling under for a good while, I grant you, but it's definitely flavour of the year. Last year it was immigration. The year before that it was terror. The year before that it was Iraq. Sure, it'll always be around, but next year it won't have the same prominence, I bet you. Goodness knows what it will be. Perhaps bird flu will finally kick in? Or maybe it'll be the US elections. Or maybe Scottish independence and what Britain is/isn/t will make a welcome return. I just know how these things work, as do most of you I'm sure. Nero

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Me and my trusty hound are taking the train to

> Staines from Waterloo, and will bussed into the

> camp by the organisers - just incase any of you

> want to know how to get there.

Sorry, I have no facts here, but I have a vague recollection that those two forms of transport more damaging to the environment?

And while I'm ranting....when the council decides that even if I leave my paper in the non official bag they will take it, and not just leave it as they do currently, I'll be a bit more inclined to put more effort into my recycling.

Not having a go at you CWALD, but I do find the whole eco thing a bit of a joke when things like this happen.

SPadetown...loved the Levellers comment ;-)

Nero. . I think we agree then. . For the most part anyway. Now let me make you a cup of tea and calm you down

of course if the environment as half as screwed as we are told then the media wont have much choice but to return to it. New orleans. . Extreme flooding in this country. . Asian tsunami s. . All have precedent but are we convinced this is freak weather and things will return to normal soon? Now. . One sugar or two?

Nero, your rant is right, kind of. Yes everyone should be doing all the things they can to mitigate climate change, it's really not that hard but switching off lights and turning down thermostats etc. are lifestyle decisions.

Athough the media would have you believe otherwise, the protest at Heathrow is about infrastructure rather than lifestyle. The government have been saying we as a nation should cut C02 which just doesn't square with encouraging BAA to plan a new runway which will add thousands of flights to Heathrow's annual capacity. So this isn't about saying we should live in a nanny state where n o-one gets to have any fun, just that building massive new airports right now is a very bad idea.

I believe this is one instance where demonstrating can make a difference, it shows very clearly that some people care passionately about climate change - enough to be harassed by the police and camp out in a cold field for a week. So good on you Chav being getting involved.

That this demonstration also stirs up discussion might mean more people start taking the issue more seriously. It also brings the Clarkson wannabes out of the cupboard. Making jokes at the expense of the Levellers and calling people tree huggers is plain lame. Some people in here probably think Lenny Henry is funny.

ap