> (non bus) vehicle which is in the left hand lane

> and doesn't turn left. As it is, the very short

> stretch of dotted line looks like a revenue

> generation road marking, rather than one concerned

> with traffic direction and through flow. This way

> you also avoid late turns by cars which may put

> cyclists in jeopardy.

This makes good sense.

It's an interesting point made that perhaps starting the dotted line earlier might help. Is this a standard length does anyone know?

And to the OP - I'd be terrified to ride a 50cc that can barely reach 20 up there in London or indeed anywhere; not sure if I should respect your courage or suggest getting a new bike...

As a cyclist and motorcyclist I have also experienced both sides of jostling for position.

I must say I think most road users are fairly courteous and polite when observing others.

I have shared many a bus lane and generally motorcyclists are road-aware. I would say that on a motorcycle I am naturally able to pull away slightly quicker up a hill like Dog Kennel Hill than a car so it would make sense for me to have use of the bus lane.

On another note I've noticed how annoyingly a lot of cyclists are not making use of the cycle lane system at Elephant and Castle and this is causing problems.

vandam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On another note I've noticed how annoyingly a lot

> of cyclists are not making use of the cycle lane

> system at Elephant and Castle and this is causing

> problems.

Really? Not doubting what you've seen but when I ride through there at rush hour I see no cyclists anywhere but in the cycle lanes - except for the stretch between the tube and the Strata building, where there's no lane. I have seen a few twats still insisting on timetrialling down the Embankment instead of using the lane...the new lanes are brilliant, can't understand why any cyclist would choose to mix it on the road when they're available.

ETA though of course cyclists do have every right to use the roads if they choose - odd choice in my opinion but they are allowed.

I agree Rendell. I increasingly cycle everywhere and make regular use of the cycle lanes both at Elephant and Vauxhall. Never see other cyclists anywhere but in them too.

I also agree with your earlier comments about shared use of bus lanes with motorcyclists. Have never had any problem with that. Cars turning left accross me and buses rushing to overtake and pull into the bus stop ahead of me still continue to be the only menace I encounter.

I get the 40 to London Bridge two or three mornings a week and I see plenty of cyclists ignoring the cycle path at the junction with St Goerge's Road once it's gone past the Tabernacle. Instead of taking the curve round to the cycle path crossing, they cut off the corner straight into the traffic to then head off round past the Bakerloo Line station.

I don't always use the cycle superhighways - because unless I am coming/to from their main route, the traffic lights aren't phased to make my journey quicker. Primarily at Stockwell, where I want to turn towards Vauxhall (way into town) or towards Brixton (way home), the main traffic lights give me the chance to turn rather than waiting in the cycle lane for the majority of traffic/cyclists to go straight on. And at Vauxhall on the way in, there are four sets of lights to the end of the cycle lanes - none of which are timed to suit average speed cyclists so you end up waiting at each set for a full traffic cycle - that adds up to 5 minutes to my journey (which is nearly 20% of the time my commute takes to go about 400m). If the bus lane wasn't there so I felt I was holding up traffic, I might not feel as comfortable doing so.

DO you have an address/Department/link of who/where to write to OP?

I also think that it would make a huge difference to be able to use the bus lane on Dog Kennel Hill. Like you I have a 50cc scooter and as the hill is steep even if I pull away in front, by the time I'm halfway up it I'm holding up the traffic and have cars & vans hassling to get past me. I've even been shouted at to 'pull over', because they thought I should be in the bus lane.