Some positive birth stories at Kings, please.

Pregnant with number 2. First baby planned for homebirth - 20hr labour at home and transfer to Kings with stuck baby - less than ideal instrumental birth (38cm head and 9lb 2 (I'm only 5'2" myself) with a lot blood loss, a lot of 'undercarriage' damage and 6 months of recovery.) Feb this year had late miscarriage which resulted in emergency admission and some time in Resucitation ward as they couldn't stop me bleeding (Sorry - lots of info, but need to explain reasons for asking what I'm about to ask)

Basically, was hoping for homebirth with this one, but went to meet consultant today and not surprisingly was advised that with my history of bleeding, not to mention the tearing from last time, I would be wise to consider being at Kings. I didn't feel forced at all and was given excellent unbiased advice from the consultant. I'm very well informed about home birth versus hospital birth but I've made the decision that with a husband and 3yr old daughter to think about, I would be better dealing with the downsides of a hospital birth, rather than the risks that are obviously present from my history and being at home.

SO. Having had two pretty negative experiences at Kings (both under 'emergency' situations) I reaaaalllly want to hear from some people who planned to birth at Kings and had good experiences. And please don't remind me about the benefits of homebirths. I've closed that chapter and accepted my new path. Just want to hear some positive things.

Thanks Oh East Dulwich Agony Aunts.

I had a positive planned birth at Kings although I would of loved a home birth. Really encouraging and absolutely lovely midwife, couldn't thank the woman enough. Helped me through all natural labor, really positive and encouraging of my choices and decisions. I felt towards the end I literally couldn't give birth to my daughters head and requested a doctor come and make an incision, as the doctor was busy and couldn't see me for 30 minutes I had to try and get through it. After much encouragement my daughter was born a few pushes later after 2 and half hours of pushing. Midwife helped with breastfeeding straight away, skin to skin was encouraged etc. Labor ward was great, no complaint apart from waiting for upwards of an hour with strong contractions to be seen by a midwife (I was infact after all that only 1cm dilated).

I was transfered to post natal ward 4 hours after birth and I honestly couldn't wait to get out of there (sorry for the negative). I really needed help with breastfeeding and the midwife and ward sister kept leaving me and not helping, just telling me to keep trying. I found it really hard and took it upon myself against advice to discharge myself that night. From then it all got better, we received great breastfeeding support from our community midwife, finally!!

I I had to go through the experience again I have no worries about being under Kings care for the birth of another one of my children. Laboring was fantastic, and it may just have been my personal experiences that made the post natal negative for me. If I could do it again, I definitely would.

Good luck with your pregnancy and birth :)

I gave birth to my son at Kings in April. It was a water birth and everything went exactly to plan. The midwives were great and the room with the big birthing pool was comfortable. We were able to stay on the labour ward in the same room until I went home (12 hours after arriving at the hospital). Once I'd had my son the midwives helped with breastfeeding and then left me and my new family in peace to get to know each other and get some rest.

I arrived at the ward at 7am - not an ideal time as the midwives have a shift change at this time so I was moved around a few times until allocated a room and midwife but this is the only negative and I think is to be expected on a busy labour ward.

Hi we had our daughter at kings and they were brilliant, I dont think many labours "go to plan" but I couldnt fault the staff and my experience at the hospital.

I had a very quick labour(2.5 hrs from first pain to giving birth) so when I arrived at the hospital I could barely stand. They got me straight into a room and onto a trollery to take a look. I was 10cm and ready to push. The midwife was great and about 20 mins after arriving at the hospital our daughter was born.

The midwife was brilliant, After our daughter was born she wasnt breathing as the cord had gone round her neck but the midwife had us so calm and relaxed on reflection I dont know why we wernt freaking out as she was literally blue and floppy but the way in which the midwife dealt with it we were not stressing at all.

after a few mins they got her breathing again and all was fine. they helped with skin to skin and breastfeeding etc.

we then had to spend the night on the maternity ward which wasnt great but nothing to do with the staff. It was the other new mums on the ward keeping me awake(one on her phone all night!!!) another crying etc. so if I had a choice I would get straight home rather than staying overnight but this is no reflecion on facilities or staff.

We are now pregnant with no 2 and have been strongly advised for a home birth with my first labour being so quick(think they think im going to sneeze and it will be out!) but we want to go to kings. Everything was so good with them that I want to go there for no 2 too.

you will be fine and taking the tour around the dept is a great way to put your mind at ease.

good luck with it all.

I have nothing but positive memories from my daughter's birth at Kings four years ago and am due to give birth there again end of October. I too hated staying in the maternity ward afterwards (overnight) however - too hot, too loud, food terrible etc. So if I can manage it I will try to get out of there soon as baby is out and ok!

A word of warning - dont park your car anywhere near a meter if you can help it. Labour can take a long time and the last thing on your mind is to feed the meter - our car was towed and we had to pay ?200 to get it back!

Both of my babies were born at 37 weeks by planned induction due to illness (me - I had obstetric cholestasis). First induction took a while to work (days, not hours) but I have nothing but praise for the way I was treated. I was on the labour ward the whole time, wandering round getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of baby when all around me I could hear babies being born, yet was always greeted by smiling midwives who did their utmost to make my prolonged stay comfortable.

They even switched me into a different room when it became available to ensure I had a TV!

Second time was much quicker, and to a certain extent we were left alone a lot more but that was what we wanted (if I hadn't needed to be induced we would have opted for a home birth).

I stayed two days in the post natal ward after #1, it was fine - there are lots of thread here giving advice on how to best deal with being in the post natal ward in terms of things to take with you etc. Don't expect one on one attention the whole time, but personally I felt that help was there if I needed it which was the main thing. Second time round I only stayed a few hours post birth.

From when I first got sick with #1 (around 30 weeks, which resulted in being admitted and then having constant monitoring and consultants appointments) to the birth of #2 I have nothing but positive things to say. Kings are an extremely busy hospital, but the staff are second to none and we are lucky to have such a top class labour and maternity unit on our doorstep.

Good luck x

I also had very good experiences at Kings for both my boys. One thing that was brilliant was having a 3rd year student midwife in addition to the fully qualified midwife who was in charge of me. As the midwife had to divide her time between me and another woman (with me constantly thoughout pushing part, but came and went during earlier part), the student was with us the whole time - sitting quietly and unobtrusively, but there when I needed her, to answer questions, reassure us etc

My hospital midwife at Kings was lovely, wise and wonderful. What's more it was clear that she wanted a 'normal delivery' for me - I went in there feeling very anxious and incompetent with a pessimistic 'give me drugs!!' attitude - and in the nicest, most supportive and most effective way possible she guided me towards a drug free, intervention-free birth.

Sb, you have inspired me - it's nearly 10 months on but I'm gonna write that letter goddammit!

Well, I am feeling more and more positive. I've read all the negative comments about Kings before on EDF and was so keen to get the other side of the story so that I could feel like being at Kings was a positive choice, rather than being made to be there under duress. You've all been so kind and helpful.

Hopefully this thread will be found by more women like me who wanted a homebirth but have decided on hospital, or who hadn't considered homebirth and always assumed it would be hospital, as it's made me feel a lot better.

I wanted safe births, end of story.

I didn't care a jot about the rest of it.

Homebirths have NEVER appealed to me for that reason. If something goes wrong, and with first births, you have no clue how it will go, regardless of how easy a pgcy you've had, you are a taxi ride via London traffic at least away from the hospital.

PLease think twice about this anyone reading this who. like all of us would be tempted by the positive home birth stories - of which there are many of course. If something goes wrong, you are in serious trouble.

OK, having said that.

We had 2 very positive experiences of elective sections at Kings and would thoroughly recommend for reasons of cleanliness, professionalism, organisation and competence. THat goes for the theatre staff and the post natal ward.

Good luck. it will be fantastic.

Our twin birth was lovely... will PM you my birth story when I get a minute. i do recommend having with you someone you can trust (I had independent MWs)

The senior hospital MWs are very open to being supporive of your wishes... the drs more gung ho in my experience.

Both my sons were born in Room 12 (the big one with the pool) eighteen months apart. Major deja vu!

Both births were me, my partner and the midwife, very low key, very chilled (well as much as birth can be)

With 1st son I stayed in 24h and it wasn't brilliant but it wasn't hideous either. With 2nd son, I left from the delivery room 2.5 after giving birth.

I found Kings to be great and if i were lucky enough to have another I wouldn't hesitate

I have big love for Kings. Spent many hours of labour feeling very scared at home before being rushed in by ambulance. Once I got there, I felt totally safe. The doctor who helped ventouse my little one out was amazing, the room was big with a pool and I even enjoyed the brunch afterwards! Watch where you park, though - our car was clamped and towed away. A small price to pay for a nice baby! Best of luck to you and bump x

New Mother,

I thought this thread was about positive experiences at Kings, not about discouraging people from home births. Please do not offer advice about that which you do not know. I have to assume that you don't really know much about home births since you've written that you are a taxi ride away. If you needed an emergency transfer it would be by ambulance! If you don't feel it's a wise choice for you, that's fine, but unless you know something I don't, I don't think it's appropriate for you to scare women away from the "temptation" of a home birth.

Apologies to Fidgetsmum - no intent to hijack the thread.

-A

Apenn,[and with more apols to FM]

Youa re totally right. I know one thing only about home births. It takes longer to get from my house to theatre than from a ward to theatre. That is the one thing I know with certainty and it was more than enough for me. Otherwise, as I said in my original post, if you are fair, the home birth idea is indeed tempting.

FidgetsMum, Don't think twice about this. The staff are immeasureably better than other stories I've heard about maternity wards etc. The ward was ...gosh....clean. The loos were...gosh...spotless and so was the shower. The post natal nurses are really nice, helpful, non judgmental re bf or not, and basically seem to have got the idea that their job is to help you and your baby get well and home. That goes for the paediatricians we met, the cons surgeon, everyone. Hurrah.

edit for sp

More apologies to FM, but new mother I am afraid this is slightly misleading. The transfer time by ambulance to Kings and the time it would take to get you into theatre for a ward are often very similar. It takes time to prep a theatre, get a surgeon and anaesthetist in place, so even if you were transferred from a ward there would be a certain time delay. If you are transferred from home, this can all be taking place during your ambulance trip.

new mother Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Apenn,

> Youa re totally right. I know one thing only about

> home births. It takes longer to get from my house

> to theatre than from a ward to theatre. That is

> the one thing I know with certainty and it was

> more than enough for me. Otherwise, as I said in

> my original post, if you are fair, the home birth

> idea is indeed tempting.

>

Your first birth sounds very similar to mine, Fidgetsmum. I went to Kings after 25 hours of labour at home, and , like verds said, Kings gave a me a feeling of security on arrival and the labour experience was lovely in terms of the staff, room and care during labour (wouldn't call the birth lovely tho - had instrumental in theatre in end). Would try and avoid after care next time but it really wasn't that bad. Even tho I'm still keen to have a home birth with future babies, I wouldn't think twice about heading off to Kings if needed.

Really hope it goes well for you!

Chiming in on the homebirth issue as it has been raised... despite media scare stories, few emergencies that arise during labour are things that suddenly manifest, the main reason for needing to transfer to hospital is failure to progress. Most problems that arise become apparent over a period of time.

It could be argued that being at home, without unnecessary intervention, and with 1:1 (in fact, 2:1) attention of midwives rather than sharing a midwife betwene several women, actually works out far safer than being in hospital!

Anyway, the OP, as a disappointed homebirther, doesn't really need to be given HB scare stories... just reassured that a hospital birth can deliver many of the aspects of control that a HB would.

Thanks Fuschia. Can I ask that if anyone wants to continue the homebirth vs hospital conversation, they start a new thread? I'm really sorry to ask, but I was hoping this thread would be something I could look at now and again to make myself feel better, instead of raise questions again (having just been through a very difficult decision for me to make). But, I know EDF well enough to know that a hijack is only one 'post message' click away.

Anyway, a reminder, I am very very well versed on hospital versus home (my father in law is a medic, my sister is a homebirth Doula so I have both sides of the argument within my own family, let alone the copious research I did on the subject). I opted for home with my first baby and transferred (yes, in an ambulance (12 minutes from making the call to arriving in hospital)) after 20 happy hours labouring at home. My experience of birth at Kings wasn't positive but it wouldn't have been a positive outcome at home either as baby was big, I am small and she was badly positioned. I chose home, but had the sense to listen to my body and transfer to hospital when the time was right.

ANYWAY, please more positive stories on this thread (if there are any more?!) and by all means, do continue the home vs hospital conversation elsewhere... there will be plenty of first time mums wanting to hear both sides of the story.

Thanks. Sorry for sounding like my mum.

Hi Fidgetsmum, sorry for posting off-topic above. I just wanted to respond to a common misconception.

What I should have gone on to say was I too had opted for a home birth, and transferred to Kings as I was failing to progress and exhausted after 2 days of labour. I have only good things to say about the experience, even though it was not what I had wanted or planned for. From wanting a non-medicalised birth, I ended up deciding to have an epidural, and actually it did not turn into the cascade of medical intervention that I had feared. I finally gave birth a further 12 hours after getting to hospital, and it was a natural delivery despite the epidural. I felt in control of the process the whole time, as the epidural had given me some breathing space from the exhaustion of the contractions. It was frustrating not to be able to move around, but I was so exhausted by that point I cared less about this than I thought I would have done. Midwives were fantastic, but they were the Oakwood team who came with me, so can't comment on the Kings staff.

Downside for me, as with so many others, was the post natal ward, which was compulsory after an epidural. Something I had stupidly not factored in when I decided to transfer in.