The Real Greek to replace Jaflong?

Louisa

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In my experience the Sunday buffets are always

> exactly as you describe... sorry looking food, all

> tastes the same, probably sitting there all day,

> padded with huge amounts of onion. TBH I'm

> surprised you expected anything different, Sue!

True, but I have had better ones at both Dulwich Tandoori and Surma!

And at least at the Dulwich Tandoori they have sufficient customers that they replace the food containers quite frequently with fresh food. Well, fresh-ish.

"Oh well. What an opportunity lost. Yet another run of the mill 'curry house' to join the many others in the area"

I made this point a few weeks ago on a separate thread, saying that something more authentic would be useful for our area, but was called pretentious (which as a result I clearly now feel crushed and devalued). Seriously, get down to the Everest Curry King canteen (which is basically what it is). 10min drive and no sitting waiting for anything, you get served at the counter ahd more choice than any buffet, at buffet prices. Haven't been to a local curry house proper (went to Xoco) in months. I would paste some Tamil script in here but (a) I'm not clever enough to figure it out, and (b) that would be sooo pass?.

I have always thought that the Jaflong Sunday Buffet was not the best..

By not selling alcohol I fail to see how they can make a profit.

Not been to the new Jaflong buffet but cannot see it being different. Curry Club meal was good but

think they have missed an opotunity to do something diffent with the interior. Very disappointing.

Mirash has a better selection but I tend to find all of the food tends to be luke warm at best in all of them.

Mirash now adds a service charge to the bill too.

I have given up on all Buffets now.

Foxy

KidKruger Wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Seriously, get down to the Everest

> Curry King canteen (which is basically what it

> is). 10min drive and no sitting waiting for

> anything, you get served at the counter ahd more

> choice than any buffet, at buffet prices.

Sadly not very handy when you are looking for a quick meal on the way to The Ivy House on foot though :)

But we will try it sometime, sounds good!

ETA: The Ivy House has yummy food, but doesn't serve food on a Sunday night :(

Had an amazing Sunday buffet at the Ravi Shankar in Drummond Street last night. South Indian vegetarian for those who don't know it.

Really tasty food.?7.95 each. Absolute bargain.

Remembered we had Indian Mischief in Lordship Lane for a while, but it never did very well, not sure why. They never did a buffet though, if memory serves.

Sue Wrote:

> Had an amazing Sunday buffet at the Ravi Shankar

> in Drummond Street last night. South Indian

> vegetarian for those who don't know it.

>

> Really tasty food.?7.95 each. Absolute bargain.

>

> Remembered we had Indian Mischief in Lordship Lane

> for a while, but it never did very well, not sure

> why. They never did a buffet though, if memory

> serves.

I have been to Drummond Street many times for photographic supplies at Calumet.

Have meant to try some of the places there for a while.

Apparantly Drummond street was destined to be demolished to make way for railway expansion out of Euston.

Not sure if petitions against have been sucessful.

Must get there before it's gone forever.

Foxy.

The Diwana Bhel Poori House does much the same food as the Ravi Shankar and I was once told it was owned by the same people, though I don't know if that is true.

The Ravi Shankar's kulfi is wonderful, but I forgot to have any last night :(

There is another Indian restaurant in the same street which does meat dishes, but I haven't been there for years.

There used to be a shop selling Indian sweets and chutneys, but I didn't notice whether that was still there. There's a good little shop at the end of the road for things like spices.

ETA: And the Bree Louise just round the corner has a huge selection of real ales .....

Sue Wrote:

> There used to be a shop selling Indian sweets and

> chutneys, but I didn't notice whether that was

> still there.

Definitely still there. I think it's a small chain. I bloody love Indian sweets, even if they sometimes tend towards sickly-sweet.

Chutneys is still there, was in there a couple of weeks ago in the evening (none of the above mentioned do buffet in evenings that I'm aware of). The dozen or so South Indians I was with seem to bicker each time over Ravi's versus Chutney's. Can't tell difference myself.

I didn't know Ravi Shankar did a Sunday buffet, I have no idea when that started.

We didn't go there for a buffet, we went there for a dosa! But they had mini dosas as part of the buffet, with the accompaniments and everything, plus loads of other stuff.

Including desserts, but I was too full by then .....

Btw this was on Sunday evening.

MMm, used to go to the Diwana's lunch buffet when I worked nearby. Very good. Hard to stay awake in the office afterwards. If you are that way the African Kitchen Gallery is excellent on Drummond street. That's very off topic now, I know, but I had a great lunch in there last week and it deserves more customers!

KidKruger Wrote:

> Sue I don't know whether any of them do weekend

> buffets day or night, I've only been to weekday

> lunch time buffets in all 3x previously mentioned.

Sorry KK, I'm totally confused, I think we may be talking at cross purposes :))

bil Wrote:

> Jaflong is moving to East Dulwich road (or another

> location in ED). I've eaten there a few times, the

> food is delicious!

Jaflong is currently still operating from both locations..

Jaflong Tandoori 42 East Dulwich Rd.

Jaflong 41 Lordship Lane.

Same Menu .. but nice food (Bangaladeshi / Indian ) and good value.

BYOB at both places with no corkage charge.

DulwichFox