Life

Well there you go again, old egg.

I don't give a monkeys where you were born. I judge you entirely on the quality of your opinion. Unfortunately there is something of the toilet in it.

However pious you may claim to be, I suspect that after your disrespect of his citizens God ain't going to be shaking your hand when you make your way upstairs ;-)

life is the bit of time between being born and being dead.

some people spend it happy, some people sad. some people spend it rich or poor or healthy or sick. some spend it pious, some spend it drunk. some even spend it in a coma. its all life and the only person who can judge the quality of your life is you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

I have to admit to thinking about life a lot recently. I think it?s those seminal points of your life (like a big birthday I just had recently) that can often get you going with these sorts of machinations.

The quote above sums up how I feel right now. I am happy being the age that I am (?age is just number? and all that). However, after being endlessly questioned about turning 30 from others recently, it made me begin to question my life and where I was and where I was going. All of a sudden it bought into question, status/money/family/children etc... And I began to feel, compared to others perhaps, that I had wasted quite a bit of my life. I am not married, no kids, little money, in a job I don?t particularly care for, with career aspirations of sorts but nothing concrete to show for them, and still a bit of a party girl who loves her friends lots and loves drink a bit too much. This went hand in hand with the not so nice creeping thoughts about the shortness of our lives on this planet (I am an Atheist) and the inconsequential nature of us as individuals. The feeling that this is it, we only get on chance and what the heck am I doing wasting it?

But after a month or so of these thoughts and worries, I had a bit of a revelation yesterday. I realised that the last 30 years of my life seems such a long time looking back on it ( I know that sounds so obvious ? it?s as long as a piece of string), I have crammed so much in; child/teenage/sort of adult ;-) and all kinds or random things ? living China, Poland, travelling all over and doing all kinds of weird and wonderful jobs and meeting fantastic people along the way who I have learnt so much from. Yes, my life hasn?t had too much direction of late, but have I done a lot? Yes. Have I been happy for most of it? Yes. So multiply that by 2 and have at least another 30 yrs ahead of me (at the very very least) and I am lucky enough (all things being well) to fit at least another 30 years of live on this world and cram even more into the next 30 years, before we start thinking about the 30 years after that. And put into perspective like that, it seems like one heck of a long time to me. Time to put right some of the silliness of my 20?s, and time to keep some of the silliness going well into my 60?s and beyond. It was quite an uplifting realisation after all these negative questions around me. But we really do have all the time in the world, nothing more, nothing less.

• 3 weeks later...

When you have lived a long life and recorded some of it, shared it with others you have lived and others are aware you are there, when you no longer exist you were at least there.

Everybody has highs and lows, but they do not share these only with those close.

How many can you recall who were here but have gone?

How many left an impression, or were never missed?

I cannot remember who, but someone once said "life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it".

52 years old, fitting fit and in a second career in my own business which lets me do pretty much what I please (now the hard work setting it up is over) and I get to travel extensively, mostly in North America...and I am not sure when or if I want to stop.

Two great kids and ex wife who is still a friend and a wife of five years who is remarkable.

So little time for philosophical reflection or forethought really.

Although my seventeen year old did give me some sage advice when I was a little edgy a couple of years ago and the recession looked as though it might affect the business....she said..'don't worry problems are just solutions waiting to happen.'

I have taken that to heart and she is right.

• 1 month later...
The question is really about the nature of time and consciousness, with the roman twist that purposeful endeavours are somehow more virtous. No limit to time but there is a limit to the consciousness which observes it. Grow vegetables in your allotment, eat, fcuk, shit and die. It has the significance which it has for you. The African in a mud hut with no eletricity or runing water, does not think about the meaning of life until sunday when he or she goes to church. Each day is spent in a struggle to acquire the basic essentials. Here in Europe it's about some other 'must have' which helps you to better express your uniqueness. All breathing is purposeful activity, so its only the graeco roman who wants us to believe that consciousness and purposeful breathing is somehow better than just breathing. Sorry to break it down like that but...

rubsley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How do we explain that one?

Because life is what we make it, there are no absolutes in terms of goals, happiness, or raison d'?tre. We are individuals, we all want something different out of life. Even our pre-programmed, animal instinct to procreate does not exist in everybody.

There is no masterplan.