Traffic on Lordship Lane (Roadworks at Forest Hill end)

I think the phrase 'sewer collapse' is a misnomer.

What has happened is that

a) the sewer broke

b) tonnes of shit and piss from the sewer gushed into the ground under the road, for an unknown period

c) eventually the volume of piss and shit gushing out caused the material underlying the South Circular to be completely washed away

d) resulting in the collapse of the road.

Nice.

As someone who drives about London quite a lot for work, I'm amazed at how many roadworks seem to sit in place for weeks on end with little or no activity. The corner of Rye Lane and Copeland road is another prime example, one lane blocked off for several weeks now and I haven't seen anyone working there for ages.

Personally I think if TFL starting charged whoever was carrying out the works a penalty for each day they cause traffic disruption, road works would suddenly start being completed in record times. It's a bit like a few months back when a fire in the Blackwell tunnel closed it for a couple of days, at first they said it would take a week to fix, then after a huge outcry they mananged to re open it after a day and a half.

Part of the problem is that a number of different trades are needed for the sort of planned works that the gas and water companies are doing locally - instead of proper project management and scheduling they only really plan for the initial hole digging, then send along the other trades as they become available - at least that's what it looks like. They should be required to show a full schedule of works to the roads authority, with all trades planned-in and a firm completion date - which should be agreed by competant surveyors as being reasonable - then fined very large amounts per-diem for over-runs - ?5000 a day seems a good start point, possibly escalating to ?10,000 a day after 5 days, and then up by ?5000 increments for each period of 5 days following.

No works should be allowed to start which are not planned for completion in 3 weeks - that being (to my mind) a maximum disruptive period I am prepared to put up with.

For extended works (like working all along Lordship lLane) 'breaks' should be required of at least 2 weeks before more disruption starts again (but of course the teams could then go and work in a different area). Unplanned works (sewer collapses etc.) are different, but they should not be prayed in aid when planned works over-run - companies should be required to have sufficient staff/ contractors to hand to cope with emergencies as well as planned works.

I suspect that the skills of project management, the existence of Gantt charts, critical path analysis, etc. etc. are all firmly closed books when it comes to the contractors who work around SE London.

I seem to recall that when gas works are being done, they have to leave the hole open for at least 7 days so that any leaks can be detected and dealt with more easily. Or at least, that was the reason we were given for them leaving holes in the pavement along our road a year or so back. They did come back promptly on day 7 to fill them in.

That may be part of the reason why there looks like there is little activity on stretches of LL?

Thoroughly agree that it's a pain though - I cycled into work despite the rain this morning just to avoid the frustration of sitting in a bus along LL.

If there is a requirement for a seven day wait (that actually makes no sense, when I had gas work (emergency) done outside my house the hole was opened and closed in 48 hours) it could still be scheduled in; and doesn't account for the very much longer delays we are seeing. It seems very unlikely that they are using jointing glues that take 7 days to cure - it should be apparent within 24 hours of gas flowing whether the joints are sound - there are actually ways of doping glass fibre (the sort used in communications) to be sensitive to gasses. I think it more likely that the crew who fill-in and surface weren't scheduled to turn up for seven days (they would be a different group from the ones pipe laying and jointing) - that's why the 7 day delay story was used, because otherwise it looks like (it jolly well is) very bad project management and planning. You might schedule crews with a 24 hour delay (to take account of over-run works because, for instance, of torrential rain) - but 7 days is just " 'avin a laugh, innit?".

7 days? The hole has been outside my house for about 10 weeks at least. There is a constant smell of gas - although apparently there is no leak(!?!) the area appears to be being used for storage of the yellow ducting pipes, although that doesn't explain why the don't fill in. On top of that the police cones laid to allow bi-directional traffic are constantly ignored, as people simply move the cones and park anyway. Would be nice to see some traffic wardens!

All this ranting is therapeutic

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?m SO glad I knew about all of this when I got a

> train back from Surrey Quays to Forest Hill on

> Monday

>

> If I didn?t know about it.. and I did, I

> definitely did, I might have walked to the bus

> stop outside The Capitol before realising the road

> was closed. And then I might have walked back

> towards Sydenham thinking I can catch a bus there.

> And that bus stop on Dartmouth Rd by the library

> must be one of the longest gaps between bus stops

> in London at the best of times.

>

> And then, because there was no notices on that bus

> stop I MIGHT have waited oooh 30 mins for a bus

> before giving up and heading for a cab office

>

> And I might have been a tad hacked off

>

> But thankfully all of that was bypassed, because,

> as I say, I did know about this already.

I completely forgot I'd read this and got to forest hill at 11.30 last night slightly drunk. I ran round various bus stops (i'm sure none of them told me which stop to go to but as I said I was a bit merry so probably why I missed it) for 25 mins until I eventually gave up and paid ?8 for a blooming taxi and I hate paying for/can't afford taxis.

Oh there won?t BE a second time

Erm, not that there was a first

It?s a journey I have walked many a time so it shouldn?t be too much of a problem but when you don?t know about it and you are carrying stuff, you don?t quite know how to best handle the situation

(although Sophie, I?m compelled to point out that anyone who can afford to stay out until 11:30 AND get drunk can manage ?8 for a cab once in a blue moon ;-) )

> (although Sophie, I?m compelled to point out that

> anyone who can afford to stay out until 11:30 AND

> get drunk can manage ?8 for a cab once in a blue

> moon ;-) )

Oh it wasn't intentional and only cost me ?5 for a bottle of wine since I was at a friends house but yes I spose once in a blue moon I can afford a taxi but I just hate hate hate doing it.

The gas smell is horrendous! We live further down on LL and we can smell gas - surely this is not right?! I did see some work going on there last night - another digger which managed to hold up the already held up traffic from the other works at the Plough junction. Does anyone know if we can do anything here?