Peckham Rye One O'Clock Club

SBryan

Does anyone else find the whole concept of a 1 o'clock club strange - I mean given that so many toddlers sleep from 1-3 ish? It is hopeless for us, I'd get at most 30minutes there, then be dashing home anyway for the school run.

I guess it will be great when she drops the daytime sleep, but I wish they would open in the mornings like the Crystal Palace one does.

Not really complaining as I think we're lucky to have so many things to do around here, I just always thought it was a strange time to hold a playgroup at.

most baby classes seem to run in the morning and there aren't that many going on in the afternoons. so the one o clock club is good for people needing afternoon acticities for their little ones.

as i have a baby that sleeps mornings and is awake all afternoon, it is a good option for us! especially since there are far fewer classes. even the libraries mostly have their baby sessions in the mornings, with only the odd one later in the day.

if they can't increase the hours, it would be far better to alternate opening times - say make tues and thurs morning sessions?? would be a shame to lose the afternoon sessions for those of us who find afternoons really useful.

I know they have a childminder session on a Wednesday morning as my little one used to go to it with her childminder, so we couldn't have it then anyway!

Ko, I very much doubt they'd ever scrap afternoon openings, but we may possibly persuade them to open mornings at least once or twice a week if we could prove the demand is there....even if there was a charge like at CP I think it would be very popular.

Fuschia, see what James says as to how we might be able to make this happen - no idea how to go about it, but it would be wonderful if we could achieve it!

Ko - probably seen you there then as I've got an active afternoon toddler LOL! Also always wondered why more activities MOnday to Wednesday and less towards the end of the week? Not complaining - just wondering.

Don't know what I'd do without the One o'clock to go to. Probably join my little one in climbing the walls.

I'm a lurker on here now (have moved to Gloucestershire) and you know the thing I miss second after my friends in ED - the 1 O clock club!! When you have a baby/ toddler that doesn't sleep much at all and most activities for them are on in the morning having the 1 o clock club was a gift sent from heaven for me.

Apparently they don't exist in the country :(

if there's the demand (and i'm sure there is!), some morning openings would go down well. it a great resource and should be available to as many people as possible. its great to have drop in things like this. does dulwich park have anything similar??? they have the francis peek centre but i've never been inside so couldn't say if it would be suitable?

Talking to some parents today it seems the Ivydale playgroup came about because a group of parents saw the need, approached the school for space and then ran it themselves with a ?1 donation for teas & coffees per adult.

I wonder if some ED Mums could set up something similar over there? A school like Goose Green might be very open to it given all they are doing to build the schools identity in the community.

Having a playgroup within a school is fab as it rcan really help when they then start school (if at same place - big if I k ow). Also a lot more affordable than some of the 'baby classes' you can pay to attend and nothing to stop you having a singing session etc!

Just a thought but for those of you with school contacts maybe you could investigate?

Molly

Would be great if others tried to start up something similar as the Ivydale one can get really busy which detracts at times from the experience. I think I was around at some of the earlier sessions - before the little hall had it's makeover to a sure-start centre- and I can vouch for the fact that it was great even then, in some ways nicer as it was less busy, more relaxed and more personal.

Hi all

Couple of posts about the One O'Clock Club from the General page:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529,528528#msg-528528

Getting a rebuild/refurbishment of the club is something that we are pressing for and if we get it, then I think it would make sense if the new building was used more. As James says, it will be difficult to make a case for additional spend (in terms of running costs) when we are faced with cuts to budgets but something run by parents might be an option.

I'm hoping to have another meeting about the future of the club in the next few weeks and after the spending review (central government, 20 Oct) the council's budget for next year will become a little clearer.

Myself, Gavin and Renata (other Peckham Rye cllrs) would be very happy to meet parents to chat about what might be possible. I don't want to create loads of expectation - there isn't much money so it's probably best to be honest and say that's the case. But on other hand, if we as councillors and community can think creatively I'm sure we can come up with something!

If there is interest, I'll find out when the next meeting is likely to be and perhaps meeting some time after that would allow us to come prepared/knowing a little more?

Cllr Victoria Mills

Labour Member for Peckham Rye Ward

T: 07535932318

E: vi[email protected]

www.peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/victoria_mills

It might cost #100k to run it pa, but if much of that is things like electricity, rates etc then the cost of providing, say, one staff member for a couple of mornings wouldn't be excessive.

#9 p/h plus oncosts x 3.5h x 50 weeks = 1937

I'm sure if it was opened parents would step in and run some groups...

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It might cost #100k to run it pa, but if much of

> that is things like electricity, rates etc then

> the cost of providing, say, one staff member for a

> couple of mornings wouldn't be excessive.

>

> #9 p/h plus oncosts x 3.5h x 50 weeks = 1937

> I'm sure if it was opened parents would step in

> and run some groups...

I personally would be more than happy to run a group :)

Natalie