honour oak church development

not sure if any of you guys have noticed but boards are now up on this church and looks like the developers are moving in!

being done by the manhattan loft company who are also doing st pancras - i lived in one of their flats and it was fantastic - but prices start at 285,000 for a roomy 564 square feet!!!

what's the view on the loss of the church/public building versus another new development?

I?m the third generation of a family who has attended Honor Oak Baptist Church (corner of Forest Hill and Mundania Road) since the 1930s so have a little inside information! The church building will continue to house Honor Oak Baptist Church. The church is being divided vertically in half so at one end there?ll be an area of worship (upstairs), a hall and kitchen (downstairs) and then apartments built at the other end. The building isn?t being knocked down. Interestingly the architect and not the building is listed and key to keeping the building in one piece.

The church (as in the congregation) still meets in the hall on Sundays at 11am and 7pm. The hall is also used during the week for various meetings, occasional games of badminton, Girls? Brigade, and a new group called Slightly Ballroom. If you?re interested in knowing more about the church please stop by. The members and congregation of HOBC are certainly glad about the new development and looking forward to having a building which no longer leaks, costs a fortune to heat and has more than one WC!

The refurbishment is yet to start (what?s another few months when it?s been 10+ years in the planning). It will be interesting to see what can be done in what would probably have become a ruin or bland block of flats if MLC hadn?t seen an opportunity. I only wish I could afford to buy an apartment!