Rats (by Sainsbury's)

gordie

Sorry, slightly off topic, as it's a mouse, not a rat, but I was on the top deck of a bus heading to work a couple of weeks back and a mouse dropped from the ceiling and fell onto the shoulder of a woman sitting two seats in front of me and then it scampered down onto the floor. I saw the mouse fall but I couldn't make out where it had come from. We were all peering at the ceiling, there were a couple of tiny vents near the window.

Tanza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry, slightly off topic, as it's a mouse, not a

> rat, but I was on the top deck of a bus heading to

> work a couple of weeks back and a mouse dropped

> from the ceiling and fell onto the shoulder of a

> woman sitting two seats in front of me and then it

> scampered down onto the floor. I saw the mouse

> fall but I couldn't make out where it had come

> from. We were all peering at the ceiling, there

Agh I wish I hadn't read that - it's the lower deck for me from now on!

> were a couple of tiny vents near the window.

I have been in touch with Sainsburys again only to be told that the Deouty Manager at the Dulwich store isn't aware of any problems they have been having with rats in the car park.

I am finding that I encounter rats on a daily basis near to the entrance of the store and I am sure with this level of problem Sainsburys cannot be sure they do not have a problem in their food storage areas.

A large one nearly ran over my foot in the park today. YIKES!

I complained to the customer service desk and the girl there said that they can't put poison down in the park because of the children? Sound like an excuse and I'm going to complain in writing to Sainsburys. Suggest others do the same - we need to put pressure on so that they will do something about the problem.

I should think the carwash collects the litter from the cars then puts it in bin - I've never seen rubbish blowing around near the carwash.

I also don't think rats in a park is newsworthy. The park is owned by sainsburys so they should sort it out and it sounds like they're trying (don't know if they're trying enough yet though!).

Has anyone been bitten by these rats? I agree we leave them for the foxes to feed on - they'll need them with the cold winter approaching. That's if the evil man trapping them hasn't killed them all of course... let nature run it's course that's what I say.

The rats in the park and in the car park/store are linked. They are nesting in the park and venturing forth from there. We must tackle them at the source.

Please note that rats are vermin. They carry diseases and they can bite. I know of a dog that died from rat bite. I don't think we should be sentimental about them. Don't forget there is a children's playground just a few feet from where I have seen rats.

Whilst there may be some rubbish from the car wash, I think the main problem is that there is a growing nest in the park. Their population is increasing feeding mainly on the human food that is dumped around there. Have you noticed that the bin in the park has been broken for a while and accessible to all vermin?

It really must be sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...
I have never been to St Francis park but whilst of a bus down Dog Kennel Hill today I glanced at the park this afternoon happened to see a rat the size of a small terrier run across the path. Eeeeew! These rats must be managed as they are a major heath risk!

The Trolley man of Saint Francis Park.

Just seen that they are chasing the rats at Saint Francis Park,

if one should bite your ankle it will leave its teeth mark.

They run up the steps passing the men cleaning the cars,

look at the legs of the one wearing shorts, covered in scars.

Someone said they got here by using the railway track,

put a collar and lead on them and take them right back.

Over near the food store they are playing with the foxes,

jumping in and out of the discarded cardboard boxes.

Hiding in & coming out of the coloured large recycle bin,

one even had its head stuck firm in the jagged opened tin,

another two argue over a prize, drags away a leg of lamb.

the younger ones select slices from a stack of cut ham.

I saw one holding cakes and scamper into the hedges,

another one chooses its meal from the pile of veggies.

The trolley man throws at them a plastic litre milk bottle,

scared for the moment they run away at full throttle.

The kids have started training them to ride their little bikes,

mum got quite upset and said come away from the dirty tykes.

No dogs are allowed to come into the Park without a lead,

how they would love to share some with the rats who feed.

You think of the growing of the increase of Grey Squirrel,

it is nothing like the rats in fact compared it is quite trivial.

Piling all your purchases at cash point is getting so very hard,

that is nothing when you find the rat has eaten your Debit Card.

The trolley man is told that his four wheels are squeaking,

we cant hear ourselves at all now when we are speaking.

It is time to bring in the Pied Piper to remove these rats,

but we must remember that story and respect all the facts.

He might if not made payment take the children for a swim,

make sure you have the cash or cheque to handover to him.

The reason is attributed to moving away dogs that lived there,

that once lived in their big kennel that they all had to share.

So the kennel is no longer used once to house that pack,

was taken away, but we think it should be brought back.

The name of Dog Kennel Hill is now gone right out of date,

so has Saint Francis, no one has seen him, about here of late.

The Manager of the store has offered to meet with me to discuss their plans for the park and the park's problems (the rats living in the dense hedges, the non-opening of gates on a Sunday, I could go on) after my complaints to Sainsbury's HQ. I haven't arranged the date yet but if you want to join me please PM me andI'll try to arrange.

I know from my complaint that Veronica Ward and Stephen Govier (the 2 local councillors) have separately met with the Manager and have been in discussion with the Sainsbury's CEO too. I want to keep the pressure on them as I think the rodent thing is getting worse - now my elderly neighbour is frightened to walk up Abbotswood Rd as she's scared of them!

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have never been to St Francis park but whilst of

> a bus down Dog Kennel Hill today I glanced at the

> park this afternoon happened to see a rat the size

> of a small terrier run across the path. Eeeeew!

> These rats must be managed as they are a major

> heath risk!

Chihuahua