Rats (by Sainsbury's)

gordie

rats are brazen and attack. I honestly had a run in with one once. It came at me snarling and ready to bite me and I gave it a good whack with a broom. I'm glad all that rounders came in useful at last. They are fierce and can attack even without provocation. They are vermin, spend all kind of nasty. Once seen, it is usually a sign of the population getting out of hand and they need exterminating. Rats thrive on waste left by humans and in a city that is not a natural keeping with the eco system useful thriving, its a rats in your home nibbling on the toes of your children. Kill the rats.

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If they are going about their business & not

> actually doing any harm, or hurting anyone,

> Why not just leave them alone?

Had they been shopping at Sainsbury's? - hope they were using their own shopping bags...

Rats will attack when protecting their young.

The Commander Wrote:

> aquarius moon Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If they are going about their business & not

> > actually doing any harm, or hurting anyone,

> > Why not just leave them alone?

>

>

> Had they been shopping at Sainsbury's? - hope they

> were using their own shopping bags...

>

> Rats will attack when protecting their young.

Did you never read James Herbert?

aquarius moon Wrote:

> If they are going about their business & not

> actually doing any harm, or hurting anyone,

> Why not just leave them alone?

One female rat will produce on average another 20 rats in a year, with the females each be having their own rat babies after just a few months. This kind of population growth path would produce a very seriously large number of rats in fairly short shrift if no attempt were made at population control. Do the math, as Americans would say.

Rats are carriers of numerous diseases and parasites, some of the latter (such as rat fleas) also being the carriers of yet other diseases. Diseases can easily be transmitted to humans owing to physical proximity of rats, their urine and fleas etc. to humans and human habitations. At the extreme, stuff like bubonic plague (carried by the rat flea) has not gone away - it's just under control. Leptospirosis, Weil's disease more common, plus others...

I hear that rats have developed a fondness for living and nesting under the garden decking that everyone seems to have been installing.

The Commander Wrote:

> The Minkey Wrote:

> -----

> > Umm - that would be a rat catcher ;-)

>

>

> Indeed - that's exactly what we need a modern day

> rat catcher sponsored by Sainsbury's

In the states they call them Professional Trappers see here

The Commander Wrote:

> The Commander Wrote:

> -----

> > The Minkey Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Umm - that would be a rat catcher ;-)

> >

> >

> > Indeed - that's exactly what we need a modern

> day

> > rat catcher sponsored by Sainsbury's

>

> In the states they call them Professional Trappers

> see here

Or Trapping Professionals

Convention? not sure what the collective noun is - A convention of Trapping Professionals has a nice ring to it which reminds me - time to call Sainsbury's.

Is everyone referring to St Francis Park? I walked past it today on my way to Sainsburys and peered in kind of hoping to see lots of rats, but no joy :). Opposite, on the railings of Sainsburys car park, I noticed a banner advertising some event to take place in the next few weeks - can't remember what it was called (trying to keep kids from screaming)...I did notice the words bouncy castle and food. I thought it might be fun for the kids, but then realised it might be hosted in RAT PARK (please correct me if wrong!) and had other ideas...although I did always love 'smack the rat' game at fetes.

Can't wait for the Sainsbury's rat park fete - perhaps we can also play catch the asbo.

In answer to your question sophiesofa, I emailed Sainsbury's head office (in case they are unaware of the situation) and the store about the state of this park, which I think is a disgrace and a dereliction of their responsibilities, at [email protected] & [email protected]. In cc I included Veronica Ward and Harriet Harman as the local councillor and MP for the store - as this is an ongoing issue - and [email protected] as the Director responsible for community relations. If anyone would like to see a copy of what I sent please pm me.

What you need is a two stroke motor with an over rich mixture and a hose pipe on the exhaust inserted in to said rat hole. Waiting on the surface you have a team of bad arse terriers. The end resulting being a massacre to end all massacres making a Millwall - West Ham meet look like an under 7 girls ballet class - far quicker, humane and selective than any rat poison.

I did enjoy ratting days at the farm I worked at. (Obviously you are not allowed to put poison down anyway where food stuffs are stored and there is a legal requirement to control rat populations.)

candp Wrote:

>

> In answer to your question sophiesofa, I emailed

> Sainsbury's head office (in case they are unaware

> of the situation) and the store about the state of

> this park, which I think is a disgrace and a

> dereliction of their responsibilities

xxxxxxx

Which park are we talking about?

St Francis Park, or the park up the steps on the way to the adventure playground?

St Francis Park has always seemed reasonably well cared for, to me.

Skidmarks wrote:

>I did enjoy ratting days at the farm I worked at.<

---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh

Me too, we cleared a maggot farm once in Sussex

( yes there was such a place )

My goodness it was like a sea of rats, literally barrows full of them by the end of the day

A good terrier at work is amazing

W**F

Sue - the park in front of Sainsbury's with the rats, the mugging, the litter and where the lighting is non-existent and which generally engenders (in me and some of my non-wimpy friends) a sense of foreboding when walking along Abbotswood Road listening to the yoofs who have hopped the gates at night or across the park at any time when it is quiet. I grant you that the grass is cut and the trees pruned if that counts as care but it could be significantly improved.