Don't be a burglary victim - a few tips.

EDOliver

The other thing to consider about leaving your keys in the door (front and/or back) is that it gives the burglars an access route OUT. If they break in via a window... its not so easy to leave the house with your 42inch TVs and Picassos via a window - so they will want to make a civilised exit through the door. If you lock your front and back doors with a key and DON'T leave the key in the door - they will not be able to easily get away with all your stuff.

I'm re-posting this from another thread, as this seems the more appropriate place for it.

The fact that this cheeky chappie was just 19 but asks for 645 other offences (on top of the 17) to be taken into account... Where did he find the time? When he was at school?

---

This is the kind of thing we're up against:

"[bW], 19, was put on an new three-year rehabilitation scheme being trialled by Essex Police last October after he admitted 17 counts of theft and burglary, and asked for another 645 to be taken into account."

What's known as a prolific burglar. These kind of peeps are probably doing 10-20-30+ places a week.

Ren Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the advice Oliver, were you on a night

> shift fighting these criminals by any chance?! if

> so, is there really a worrying increase in crime

> or do you think it's being reported/highlighted on

> EDF more frequently?

Ren, well quessed. Not in Southwark though.

I'm not 100% convinced there is an increase in crime. My personal opinion is that forums like this highlight and bring to peoples attention crime in their area which otherwise they wouldn't be aware of. However, although it can be a bit depressing, it can only be a good thing that people are being made aware of of these things and can therefore try and combat it.

I actually feel really safe in E.D. It's a cracking place to live and I love the community feel to the place. I'm also impressed with the police presence in E.D and often speak to officers as they're on foot patrol.

Just thought I'd mention that I called ED Police Station yesterday to report my purse which I lost on Tues missing (which itself was probably just due to my absent mindedness rather than theft...) I spoke to the station officer who registered the purse missing, but then also asked if I had had the anti-theft pack which is available from them, which I hadn't. He said they were trying to equip people with the tools to avoid being burgled (due to recent spate of robberies) and said he would send a team round with the pack for me. The Community Support Officers turned up at 11am this morning, gave me all the home marking kit + a D lock for my bike + a personal panic alarm should I want to carry it in my handbag & went on their way.

Very impressed with the proactiveness and lovely manner of the local police!

SteveT Wrote:

> The police often hang extra crimes on to felons as

> they get no additional time to serve,

>

> but it helps the police's figures on clear up

> rates.

>

> How would anyone remember they have 645 to plead

> to

A prolific burglar (seems to be a standard term in police publications) is someone who's doing more than 10 a week. More than 10 a week is more than 500 a year. I'm sure they can't remember all they do, and I'm sure they probably admit to a few they didn't. But a few of them do a lot. One burglar who entered my neighbour's property was apparently linked to around 200 burglaries. When he was arrested, the expression 'going equipped' would have been an understatement (considering what he was carrying in terms of tools). When burglar and co turn up to court in their top-of-the-range BMWs, you understand that for them this is very much a way of life and a way of earning a good living - and that means they're robbing a fair few properties, week in week out.

UnderhillOliver Wrote:

> A free D-Lock??? Thats awesome.

I know! My partner was very impressed & i think a spot jealous he didn't get one!

James, good to see taxpayers money coming through to grass roots :-)