how to commute to Canary Wharf

I commuted from ED to Canary Wharf for a couple of years.

In the morning, I preferred the train to Peckham Rye, then the overground to Canada Water, then the jubilee. It sounds like a lot, but door-to-door it was less than 45 minutes. The overground from Peckham Rye tended to arrive few minutes after I got off the train from ED (it would be the same train from North Dulwich), and on the same platform, so no running up and down the stairs to change platform.

The big question mark is the Southern Fail train from North Dulwich - East Dulwich to Peckahm Rye to catch the overground.

If you move to Herne Hill, you should look into getting a bus from there to Denmark Hill, and then the overground. I have no idea how busy those buses are in the morning. All I can tell you is that most mornings it is quicker to walk from the East Dulwich station to Denmark Hill than to wait for a bus, as most are packed and don't let new passengers on.

I also tried the train to London Bridge then the jubilee to the wharf, but it tended to take longer because London Bridge was always very busy: it may take a good 10-15 minutes from the moment you get off the train to the moment you reach the jubilee line platform - and a lot longer till you actually manage to board a train! Of course the fact that the Southern link to London bridge is so unreliable only makes things worse.

Just a thought: a new Charter school has opened on the Dulwich hospital site, just behind the East Dulwich station.

http://www.chartereastdulwich.org.uk/

This year they are based elsewhere because the site isn't ready, but I understand that admission will be based on straight-line distance from Jarvis road. This means it should be possible to be in the catchment of Bessemer primary and the old Charter, or of Bessemer and the new Charter, or of Goose green primary and the new Charter.

here include about the communication of canary wharf.i don't know this communication.here described detailed about the canary wharf.full instructions and methods are included.thanks for sharing such a new informations.corporate team outing Bangalore

I get round London on a Vespa - commute and different offices. Hands down the best (fastest, most fun, affirming) way to get around London. Wet weather can be miserable until you get the hang of it, but on the dry days it's a joy.

I went Lordship Lane to an office next to Harrods in 20 mins, today, for example.

When Southern are running a reasonably normal service I get the train from ED to Peckham Rye (where you wait on the same platform for the Overground), then Overground to Canada water and jubilee to CW. Takes about 40 mins generally as the changes don't always work out well between Southern and the Overground plus the Overground is annoyingly slow as you generally have to queue outside Surrey Quays station, whereas if the trains just went straight through it would be about 5 mins quicker I reckon.

Think I heard something about getting 6 Overground trains per hour, but not until 2018, which should improve things if it happens. When Southern aren't working I get the bus or walk to Denmark hill and get straight on the Overground.

I did this commute from Herne Hill and I have to say, as evidenced above, there ARE rather a lot of options, which is great, however each option has its drawbacks. The question is this: what is most important to you on your commute? If it is cost, then obviously cycling is the way to go, or one of the routes that avoid Zone 1.

I settled on the N. Dulwich to London Bridge to Canary Wharf route because I wanted one interchange, but also because I liked the 20 minute train journey into London Bridge each morning. I got a seat. I collected my thoughts for the day. I read a book and sometimes checked e-mails. But it was pricier, and also once you get to LB the chaos ensues. (Sometimes I took the boat from LB to CW -- so peaceful, but SO Pricey!!!)

I'm not sure I'd choose the LB route now bc Southern rail is such a mess. Another friend of mine has been doing this for 20 years and for her overground to Canada Water was best. I found that journey horrible -- squashed, standing up. But then it is cheaper and more reliable.

I never tried cycling bc I'm basically a wimp. I probably should have.

In any case, try them all out and see what works best for you. Canary Wharf itself is fairly soul-less and without charm, however, there are lovely gems to be discovered there, it is hugely convenient for shopping, and it's clean. I can't say I don't sometimes miss it!!!

Oh, and one more thing, at Canary Wharf and Canada Water there are queues to board the tube. Sometimes they can be rather long, but I was impressed by how orderly and efficient they were. (Having said that, people who didn't move down inside the carriage infuriated me regularly!!)

Good luck!

Yeah, 20 minutes. I've done it twice this week. I commuted 90 miles round trip from central London to Hampshire for a few years in all weathers, and learned to ride in the city and on the continent, so I'm...err progressive in traffic. Please don't take any chances trying to match that; I had a lot of hours on "horseback" and a good few frights along the way.

As someone who has moved *from* Herne Hill and *to* East Dulwich, I'd say it was a much better place for small children. There are also plenty of non-denomination primary schools, and we've got the existing old Charter - and new planned Charter secondary school opening up very soon.

HH is great for Brockwell Park, and there is a community feel thanks to some very active locals who make a big difference to the area. However, the 'heart' of it is centred around the station, and while that is no longer a traffic thoroughfare, it is not fully pedestrianised.

We were in HH for > 2 years, and it's coming up to 7 years in ED, and we have absolutely no regrets about moving :-)

Depending on where you end up, you might also want to consider cycling to an overground station (Denmark Hill or Peckham Rye), especially after the SouthernFail shambles.

As for state co-ed primaries, there are actually quite a few options around East Dulwich and Peckahm Rye: Bessemer Grange, Goose Green, Dog Kennel Hill, the new Harris on Lordship Lane, Belham and Bellenden closer to Peckham Rye...

In fact, state schools are one of the main reasons why I stayed in East Dulwich, rathern than moving somewhere else with better transport links. Schools here are not as oversubscribed as those in, say, Wandsworth.

• 2 weeks later...
Gosh I'm sorry, I missed your response! Yes, ED is a much better place for small children :) there's a lot more going in in terms of baby/young child friendly caf?s, restaurants, pubs etc.. And we've got the excellent Horniman Museum and Gardens a short bus ride or walk away, and Sydenham Hill woods. Plenty of baby groups too.