Is it normal for cleaners to do less work than the hours they're paid for?

I did have a cleaner who skived off after two hours when paid for four- as I discovered when I ran into her while out shopping!-I would find the house pretty clean, but probably only superficially. I wasnt sure how to handle it but she left anyway, and Ive had the same cleaning lady now for ten years. She always does her time, the house is very clean, she's helped me reorganise my mess after builders, she babysits and is trusted completely. During the hols, if we are away and so not there to make a mess she comes in and does other jobs- fridge cleaning, spring cleaning, carpet cleaning so she doesnt loose out. I pay her a tenner an hour and she earns it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I once had a fab cleaner...or so I thought until I came home one day to find the cleaning cloth I used in the kitchen in my bathroom. Eeek! I haven't had a cleaner since but could seriously do with some help now we have a baby. Just not sure I could trust them to do a good job and not to spread germs through my house!

Hi. I do cleaning for a friend of mine and regardless whether you are there or not if your being paid to do 4 hours that is what you should do. The lady i clean for is always there, but if she wasn't i would still do the same.

You have just had a bad cleaner. Good luck with finding someone.

Whatever you do decide to do, DO NOT GO WITH FASTKLEEN CLEANING AGENCY!!!! We had 3 cleaners over a period of 3 months, coming every 2 weeks and ended up having sentimental jewellery and an iPod pinched. To top it all off, the police had to get involved as the last cleaner got so threatening with not being paid because she didn't do the work that she was meant to!

• 3 months later...