Is this constant fatigue normal?

mrs f

Hello,

I am 17 weeks pregnant and am still constantly & permanently exhausted. I sleep all the time & can't seem to shift this feeling... Eg I slept for 11 hours last night & am having to have a lie down now because I have zero energy. I had thought I was supposed to feel better after 12 weeks? This is my first pregnancy so I don't really know if this is normal or not.

Any advice or tips greatfully received....

Thank you

Go and get a blood test you could be anaemic. I have been found anaemic on both recent and older blood tests and been given iron tablets and told to watch my diet. That could be a reason although I find you do tend to have stretches of feeling really exhausted while pregnant and then sometimes feeling really energetic...

I'm 20 weeks and have been having this, though for the first time tody I feel a bit better. I think I've actually been sick for a number of weeks and I finally gave in and got antibiotics and now a week on I am just starting to feel a bit more normal. For me, it was like a low-lying cold/flu for weeks (I just figured it was pregnancy tiredness and sniffles) which then turned ugly and evolved into a chest infection.

Anemia is another thought.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone for your answers, I'm going to see the midwife this week so I'll speak to her then and in the mean time I'll carry on sleeping like a maniac as it is obviously what my body needs right now.....

starting to really envy all those women who really enjoy being pregnant!

Sanne Panne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe start taking Floradix while you wait for

> your test and results?

It is not a good idea to self medicate during pregnancy. Your HB will drop naturally during pregnancy due to normal haemodilution - your circulating blood volume increases a great deal so it is natural that your iron level will drop. Taking unpresecribed iron supplements can cause all sorts of problems. It is late, and this is the first thing I found on Google, which is hardly a medical database!

Only take medications that are prescribed.

But floradix will only give you 15mg of iron, which as that study says, is "far less than in the study"..

I have found a diet with plenty of dried apricots, pumpkin seeds and fortified cereals has usually been sufficient for me in pg, despite being a vegetarian.. and when my iron levels dropped naturally from about 28w, a sachet of spatone a day (very gentle supplement, just 5mg) has avoided the need for the tablets which give you constipation etc

I agree with Fuschia. I've been taking two sachets per day of Spatone (fine to double up from the single sachet during pregnancy) since 32 weeks pregnant as I was bordeline anemic, despite a healthy balanced diet. I've had so much more energy and due to it's gentle nature, have not had any increased constipation than is to be expected from pregnancy. PS. Spatone is currently on 3 for 2 at Tescos!

Hi mrs f

Completely agree with good advice above about getting iron levels checked but thought I would add my experience as it might be reassuring for you. I had healthy blood results but didn't turn a corner in terms of energy levels until a little later than the stage where you are now. I had thought the tiredness would wear off magically at the stroke of midnight at the beginning of the second trimester and felt very cheated when it didn't! But then when I spoke to friends, many told me it took them anywhere up to 20 weeks to really feel themselves again. I recall feeling worse before things got better, but get better they did and I found myself gradually enjoying the experience more and more (now 32 weeks and feeling great). So don't give up hope. It's still early days and you may soon be one of those glowing pregnant women you envy! xx

Dear Mrs F,

For some women, pregnancy is exhausting - from start to finish - despite the common public perception that you simply change shape slightly for a few months. Many women develop a low HB, and this is completely normal. We are very efficient at reproducing - otherwise the planet would not be overflowing! Supplements should not be taken in pregnancy unless prescribed. Your body knows what it is doing, trust it to do the right thing. Rest.

Poor you Mrs F,

I was same up to 19 weeks (I was re - reading something the other day that reminded me of this) then got a lot better, but as the others have said it's just another of those pregnancy things where you either get lucky or you don't. I hope you come out of it soon.

Also I highly recommend chocolate as a good source of iron! (seriously)

Kxxx

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. It is so nice to be able to have so many people who have first hand experience respond.... one of the great things about this forum

I saw my midwife today and she thought it normal that I still be this tired.... so I'll continue with the long sleeps, naps and all the iron rich food including Chocolate (thanks Kes!!!) plus the prego yoga and prego massage and hope the next few weeks see the begining of feeling a little better....